A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maternity patterns that don't suck  (Read 2172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kcjc
« on: July 08, 2004 09:33:38 PM »

Anyone have any ideas or sources? I've been wading through the ususal suspects and I'm not finding anything that doesn't make me want to puke. And why do they put the maternity stuff with the pjs? I'm looking for mostly easy kind of stuff - a line skirts and the like - I thought about just making bigger ones, but after awhile the front and the back hems get messed up as your belly goes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sexylovekitten
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004 06:29:15 AM »

did you check all the regular pattern books like simplicity and mccalls. my friend is pregnant and i had to make her some clothes and those two companies had some of the less horrible patterns. you could probably take the basic shapes of those patterns and alter them into something you would like better. a dress pattern is a dress pattern, just fill in the details you want instead of theirs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MamaNeeley
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004 07:56:58 PM »

Burda 8447 is a possbility. It has a simple skirt and pant (without panel if memory serves). Burda also has a few interesting pants including a cargo (hidden in a multistyle or wardrober I believe) but if you've never sewn a pant Burda's not known for their directions.
McCalls has a 7 piece wardrober that looks easy, 3131. Wardrobe patterns tend to be basic so think of this as a maternity sloper set and fill in your own details as slk mentioned or use a few stand out fabics/accessories to jazz up the basics some what like you would for a normal wardrobe but probably on a smaller scale.
What are you looking for style wise?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004 08:23:05 PM by MamaNeeley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
superminx
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 04:11:23 AM »

This isn't really for patterns but it might help
Think laterally - an empire line dress with a very full skirt will see you through a few months, just make sure it is bigger around the chest than youd usually wear 'cos not only do your breasts grow your ribcage will spring open quite a bit. I bought a bias cut skirt with an elastic waist and a matching camisole shaped top 4 sizes bigger than my usual second hand and they lasted really well because they draped so beautifully. A kimono or a dressing robe (pref vintage) makes a great coat (or dress if you hand sew it shut). Try a cotton shortie nighty as a top when youre huge. A big mans singlet in cotton knit with a tube of cute (pref knit) fabric sewn to the bottom makes a good dress and you can cover the top bit with a shirt if you dont like it. Just remember to have a couple of things that let you acess your breasts so youll have something you can nurse in after the baby is born. (maternity patterns are crap for that)There is a book called "pregnant and chic" which is dated but gives some good ideas. PM me if you like  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Oswald Rabbit
How To Draw Panda Hinata
How to Draw Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Cosmo from Fairy Oddparents
How to Draw Celia from Harvest Moon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...