A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book altering / altered art craftalong?  (Read 8641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006 04:46:30 PM »

But I have a really good excuse. My son had surgery on his elbow this morning 2 1/2 hours from where we live (I went, of course!), after a fall on the basketball court that knocked him out last weekend, and he's SUPPOSED to be graduating from college tomorrow!!! 

There ought to be a book's worth of inspiration in all that.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006 10:59:32 PM »

Since the book I'm altering used to be a notebook for one of my photography classes, the first few pages are going to be on my favorite photographers.  I have a few things set aside to include -- I just need to finish a pair of long overdue armwarmers before I can start.  I'll take some 'before' pics tomorrow.  I can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
grapefruiit
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2006 03:42:08 PM »

okay this is gonna sound really stupid, cos i'm the one that started this whole craftalong thing, but when i do art/craft, i go through "phases" where i get obsessed with one form of art and then i move on, sometimes rather quickly, onto another artform (which is why i have a whole section of my room dedicated to my past art-ish obsessions) and lately i've kinda shifted from altering books to art jounalling, which is kinda similar, but different... if you's get what i mean....cos altering books is taking an old book and making it into a new artwork, right? whereas art journalling is just journalling+doing art in a book, but with mixed media, and in a new book. so if it's okay with you people, i'd just kinda like to work on my art journal and post stuff from that instead...

another reason for this is that i try to ignore that feeling of guilt i get every time i "destroy" a book but i can't seem to get over it...i love books too much, even if they are old, boring and falling apart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2006 07:00:22 PM »

okay this is gonna sound really stupid, cos i'm the one that started this whole craftalong thing, but when i do art/craft, i go through "phases" where i get obsessed with one form of art and then i move on, sometimes rather quickly, onto another artform (which is why i have a whole section of my room dedicated to my past art-ish obsessions) and lately i've kinda shifted from altering books to art jounalling, which is kinda similar, but different... if you's get what i mean....cos altering books is taking an old book and making it into a new artwork, right? whereas art journalling is just journalling+doing art in a book, but with mixed media, and in a new book. so if it's okay with you people, i'd just kinda like to work on my art journal and post stuff from that instead...

another reason for this is that i try to ignore that feeling of guilt i get every time i "destroy" a book but i can't seem to get over it...i love books too much, even if they are old, boring and falling apart!

Art journalling is my excuse for keeping all my old note and sketch books.  It's pretty self-explainatory, but I've found a few awesome books on the subject:
*Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos and Altered Books
*Alphabetica : An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
*Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks : Exploring and Creating Personal Pages

Those are my art bibles.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
grapefruiit
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2006 08:14:43 PM »

mm, i love lynne perrella... before, my art journals used to be all black and white, just sketches/drawings in ballpoint pen and it was kinda blah, but these days i've started experimenting heaps more and it's so much fun..!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2006 11:12:49 AM »

Boy, these look really neat, but I have never heard of this.  What do you do with them when they are done?  How do you choose which books to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006 08:14:04 AM »

Boy, these look really neat, but I have never heard of this.  What do you do with them when they are done?  How do you choose which books to use?

I like to leave my works in progress laying about the house (dried ones of course!), so visitors can leaf through them.  And right about now I have quite a few of these that will probably never get finished Smiley  Out the the two times I've used books, I used my favorite story (Alice in Wonderland) and a horribley cheesy romance novel from a thrift store.  Just look for something that catches your eye.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grapefruiit
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006 12:02:16 AM »

i think altering books is another example of "it's more about the journey than the destination"... we do it to learn new techniques, to experiment with our inner artistic beings and just to have fun! there's no real reason... not really sure what you do with them when you're done.. *shrugs*... and there's really no rules, which is why a lot of people are attracted to it... you can choose any books you like, as long as they are no longer being used by anyone and have a surface on which you can do art. usually, though, people choose old hardcover novelss because they are more sturdily bound and willl not fall apart easily... and also, because the pages are thin, a lot of people glue pages together to strengthen them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenos241
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006 01:07:05 PM »

This looks like a really great idea. I love doing paper crafts and this is the first forum I have found with this medium. Although I am going to library school to be a librarian, and altering books may be frowned upon, I feel that this doesn't truly destory the book it just uses it in a different way Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2006 01:56:33 PM »

I have altered couple of books, and this craftalong sounds fun. Have you started yet? Is it too late to join?

Can I even join craftalongs, I have just registered?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Fishtail Seashell Bun
How to Get Perfect Holiday Waves in 10 Minutes Flat
Hair Tips: Dealing With Hat Hair
How to Do a Fishtail Bun
How to Do a Milkmaid Plait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...