A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 228814 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: April 12, 2011 10:18:46 AM »

Can I use old worn out jeans for the lining, or would it have to be new sturdy denim fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #1021 on: April 16, 2011 06:31:48 PM »

for your first corset, go ahead.  When you start making better quality, heavy duty, or heavy wear corsets, you will need to buy coutil.  Think about how your jeans stretch after a few hours of wear.  That stretch defeats the purpose of a corset and can make the whole piece look like crap. But, that being said, if you aren't going to tight lace, or wear it for support, or all day, making a corset from what you have is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: April 16, 2011 08:35:27 PM »

Tight lacing thight lacing! Thank you for the help!
Edit:
I just started looking into fabrics,
would this fabric be suitable, for this corset? the pattern says 45"-60" and the fabric is 40"-45". And that corset would be called a semi bust or?

I am going to purchase the corset making kit on corsetmaker.com, as no store has any boning near me.

LOL, I just googled 'with nap'. LOL...

so excited y'all!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011 09:42:33 PM by LA-Fairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #1023 on: April 17, 2011 06:39:44 PM »

The is an overbust corset. The dupioni is good-the natural slubs camouflage wrinkles, I like to use featherweight fusible interfacing for fabrics like that, makes it easier to sew.  remember to change your needle frequently.  I've never made that patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafting-Krys
« Reply #1024 on: April 18, 2011 10:18:53 PM »

Yeesh, just finished reading through all 103 pages! And I have to say, I definitely know more about making a corset than I did last week when I started reading through this thread! And it's definitely been a lot of help to read through all of the advice and suggestions. I made a bridal-style corset last summer for a Poison Ivy costume I made, which had just the fashion layer and boning in casings. It was definitely more fashion-corset than real-corset, so I'm in the process of making at least 2 proper corsets, only because I have fabric that I want to use for 2.

One is going to be a reversible corset, and so the biggest question I have for that would be what is the best way to create the busk closure without using a busk, since the closer sticks out through the front instead of the middle of the two pieces of fabric, if that makes sense?

These are the two sets of fabric I have that I want to use for my corsets: (can't post pictures as I'm a very new member!)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/hieis_girl1/Sewing%20projects/102_2200.jpg
This fabric is going to be for my reversible corset, and have decided to have both types of fabric on each side, with mainly white panels with a couple blue panels as accents.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/hieis_girl1/Sewing%20projects/102_2201.jpg
I haven't decided how I want to lay out the fabric for this one yet. I can't decide if I want the brocade to be the fashion layer, with the taffeta as the lining, or have something similar with the blue and white corset with the brocade as the main fabric and the taffeta in a couple panels as accents and as the lining. Any suggestions???

None of them are cotton, and I read a few times that cotton is the best to use for a lining. But I was wondering, if I wore one of the liner things underneath, would it matter what the lining was made out of, as long as it didn't irritate my skin? One lining is a taffeta, and the one I want to use for the reversible is a silk-like fabric; don't remember exactly what it is since I've had it for a couple years now.

Oh, and for these two corsets, I'm using the SImplicity 9769 and Butterick 4254 patterns. After that I'll probably venture out into the custom duct tape patterns; once I have a feel for making proper corsets.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I work on these, and I'll definitely provide WIP photos if people would like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1025 on: April 21, 2011 01:47:52 PM »

One is going to be a reversible corset, and so the biggest question I have for that would be what is the best way to create the busk closure without using a busk, since the closer sticks out through the front instead of the middle of the two pieces of fabric, if that makes sense?

Perfect sense. I've seen some really neat "industrial" corsets with a heavy-duty metal zipper. You can make it reversible just by using a reversible jacket zipper. Just make sure it's metal or heavy-duty nylon, and don't tight-lace, because it wouldn't survive the strain without additional closures of some kind (like buckles). Also, you would NEED to wear a liner underneath to protect your skin, because you wouldn't be able to install a placket behind the zipper (what with being reversible and all).

None of them are cotton, and I read a few times that cotton is the best to use for a lining. But I was wondering, if I wore one of the liner things underneath, would it matter what the lining was made out of, as long as it didn't irritate my skin? One lining is a taffeta, and the one I want to use for the reversible is a silk-like fabric; don't remember exactly what it is since I've had it for a couple years now.

The main reason to wear a corset liner is to protect the corset. If you sweat all over your pretty taffeta, it would get stained from the minerals and degrade due to the acids in your sweat. You can make a simple liner with an old tube-knitted t-shirt (it has to be tube-knitted because you only want ONE seam right at your spine). Cut it below the armpits, put it on with only a bra under it, have a friend grab all excess at the back (tight, but not REALLY tight; you have to be able to get into it) and pin it like mad. Then use a disappearing or washable marker to mark the seam, unpin, sew along that seam, and hem the free edge to however tall you need it.

From my own research, I'd recommend also flatlining both fashion fabrics to make them stronger. On the corset I made, I used a plain sew-in interfacing, but you can also use denim, duck, twill, or pillow-ticking (all of which are far cheaper than coutil). Another option is to make a third layer out of a sturdy fabric and have the boning channels in that fabric, as opposed to in your fashion fabrics. One less bit of strain on the pretty fabrics that way.

One last thing! I tried the other pattern set that contained that Simplicity corset (it's out of print now), and it was HUUUUUGE and I gave up after taking it in twice. I ended up using the Truly Victorian's 1880s corset. If you can figure out which size to cut, the pattern doesn't include a waist-stay, which is just twill tape around the waistline to take some of the strain off the fabric. The Butterick pattern set seems to run large, as well, but I've read that people like the Elizabethan corsets in that pack. Can't say I know anything else about them.

Check out PatternReview to read reviews of those specific patterns. The search box is at top-left, and you can only read reviews up to 6 months old without a membership (which is freeeeeeeee).

www.patternreview.c om

Uh, ok, I think I'm done Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liannalives
craft machine

peace is something we make with our lives.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: May 10, 2011 11:21:08 AM »

I'm starting work on my first reconstruction/from scratch corset pattern today.  The final project, hopefully, will be a lovely one piece corseted jumper. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liannalives.tumblr. com
secondskin
« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2011 02:22:02 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (didn't read all 103 pages), but if you're interested in drafting your own pattern, I found a site that gives step-by-step directions.

http://yourwardrobeunlockd.com/freebies/72-corset-drafting
 Its really easy. All you need is a ruler, preferably a clear quilting one, since you need to square out your lines to make it exact. You use your own measurements and when you're done you have a corset pattern made exactly for you.

I suggest making a muslin mock-up to get the curves exactly right but its not necessary.

This is the one I made from it. I plan on making an underbust from the pattern as soon as I get a chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kara B
« Reply #1028 on: July 18, 2011 02:20:15 PM »

Such a beautiful corset, secondskin!  Just the way you've matched the pattern in the fabric really shows that love and care went in to this, and it looks to fit you really well. 

I've bookmarked your link for when I finally get around to starting my long-planned corset project.  This thread has gotten me quite excited about it, and the corset has moved up to...uhm...5th place on my things to make...

A question for us not living in English-speaking countries:  what is duck and coutil?  I know denim and twill, is it sort of related?  The fabricstores around here aren't too good on the English names for different fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lopo48
« Reply #1029 on: July 23, 2011 11:54:24 AM »

Help!  I've gotten up the nerve to make a Civil War corset, but can't find the steel boning/busk I need.  Does anyone know of local sources in the DFW area?  Don't mind driving, but don't want to wait on an on-line order.  Need the corset before I start trying to fit dresses.  Thanks!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Crafting Contagious Content Using the Public
Crafting Contagious Content with Practical Values
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...