A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 247357 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2005 05:03:57 AM »

I've been working on this pattern, Simplicity  5006 its going OK but I just cannot seem to get the boning sewn on to the bust or curvy side bit nicely  Sad  Does anyone have any tips for working with non-straight sems? (sorry if im not using the right lingo)

ive already sewn all the pieces together and the boning is between the 2 layers of fabric, its  the topstitching the boning bit that im having trouble with
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005 05:07:26 AM by poordumbbird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2005 07:29:49 AM »

I couldn't find any cable ties (the plastic ones) long enough (without taping them together) as my shirt will end up about 21" long. 

So I used drinking straws.

I retract this previous comment.  I used straws for my project and it all went well and looked perfect until I put it on. 

I hadn't thought of the fact that when straws bend they bend at a sharp angle...they dont bend smoothly. 

OOps...oh well. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005 10:06:58 AM by Kristen81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2005 08:29:54 AM »

I've been working on this pattern, Simplicity  5006 its going OK but I just cannot seem to get the boning sewn on to the bust or curvy side bit nicely  Sad  Does anyone have any tips for working with non-straight sems? (sorry if im not using the right lingo)

ive already sewn all the pieces together and the boning is between the 2 layers of fabric, its  the topstitching the boning bit that im having trouble with

What are you using for boning?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2005 10:25:26 AM »

What are you using for boning?

Just Rigilene Polyester Boning, i havent had any problems putting it in the areas that lay flat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2005 03:46:03 PM »

I was just asking because I'm not super experienced with more ridgid forms of boning, and someone who was might be able to give better advice than me.

Curvy seams are a pain in the butt. I know it's not the best way to go, but I usually take some denim, and sew a little boning channel, then put that right next to the curved seam. I've never really been able to get a perfect/decent/tolerable seam using the way that the pattern recommends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2005 02:31:14 PM »

You could sew the rigilene right on the seam aswell. You don't even have to make canals for that. You can sew right through, I usually make canals on the middle layer though. Seems to put least strain on the upperlayer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2005 03:19:16 PM »

yes! I finished my denim corset and I really like how it turned out- and apparently, so do other people. I was expecting a half and half reaction "Nice, but I wouldn't wear it" type, but I didn't get any of it. i got compliments, including some from ppl I don't talk to!

I put in an invisible zipper on the front so I could put it on. The bust fits well esp. with a shirt underneath, and I added a bunch of extra boning, which did wonders. I used plastic cable ties, because I skipped buying lunch for a week! YES!

Now i want to make another one with actual nice fabric. black denim is nice, but I'm sure it will start to go gray.  (and i like black- this girl's not gray) gray. But I have to figure out how I should alter it all over again cuz I can't go ripping out stiches from nice fabric, cuz that will show. And I need to figure out a liner. Sewing is such a happy adventure. I'm so pleased that my thing worked out.

man, you all have good advice, I know I used lots of it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2005 05:26:45 PM »

psst! I wanna see pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2005 09:02:39 AM »

ya, I don't know why my right hand is posed like it is. I was like, what am I doing? So if you're wondering- I have no idea.
A couple of notes on the above. The grommeted edges are hemmed with blue lace seam binding. I don't actually know if I did this right, but it seems to work. Everything else is edged in black ribbon, which has an annoying habit of flipping down the wrong way, as you can see in some of the pictures. Any suggestions for the next go-round? (or even ones for this one. I think it needs some decoration, maybe) There's no back side picture; I couldn't reach around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2005 09:34:14 AM »

Well, here they are, at last.
This first one is after a custommade pattern. It's an underbust with extra hipwidth. It's simply a halfmoon-shaped piece from the waist down over the hips. Something like that.

This is the latest pvc-corset, made from a Simplicity pattern(#7215). Since it's not made for me it's being modelled by a pillow Smiley

This is the same Simplicity pattern, but in silk. Hopefully the crinkles will straighten when put on real model Smiley The neck-corset is only boned with plastic.

Back. This lacing seems to be the easiest to pull.

I've used four layers of fabric in the top one, and three in the other two. Steel boning, and steel spiral boning.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005 12:18:27 PM by ewushka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon G10: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon G10: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...