A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 232207 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2005 08:30:34 AM »

thanks Smiley I hadn't thought about that..

Just out of curiosity, how do you think sewing buttonholes would work, instead of grommets?

Would it just weaken the fabric more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2005 11:17:58 AM »

thanks Smiley I hadn't thought about that..

Just out of curiosity, how do you think sewing buttonholes would work, instead of grommets?

Would it just weaken the fabric more?

Maybe, maybe not. I think that IF you make buttonholes you should be thorough and use some sturdy fabric beneaht the pvc to make them less elastic.
Thats the struggle with pvc. It's elastic. Normally you'd use fabric with as little elastic as possible in a corset.
 If the back of the fabric (the actual fabric that the plastic is "painted" on) is elastic you have to be very careful to lay out the pattern straight. If not, that will make crinkles in the seams when the corset is ready. It's almost impossible to avoid completely, since the lacing also contributes to crinkeling.
AND if you don't have a teflon-foot on your machine, it's time to get one (ore those teflon-strips you can buy and put on the foot) or the fabric will go one way and your mind another. If you can't afford a teflon foot, you could use bakingpaper instead. Just place it over the fabric and sew, and then pull it away afterwords.

I really don't like sewing in pvc, although I've made a whole lot of things from it, and still do. I usually like the result though Smiley

As soon as I've finished the pvc-corset I'm doing right now I'll post it. (AND I'll post some more pictures if I can get my boyfriend to take the pictures)
We could have a contest. Wich pvc-corset will make it to craftster first?
I'm going away for the weekend, and I won't get the boning to it until at least monday so you have a good chance!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2005 03:07:11 PM »

I think you're gonna beat me =P I haven't even started to cut pieces yet.. I've got some cleaning and organizing to do before I can actually get down to my sewing machine again. Tongue

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it tons
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2005 01:34:02 AM »

Ah well. Don't be to sure. I have a tendency to let things go if I can't finish them right away, and I'm doing this other corset for another friend and it has to be finished by the end of july so you still have a chance. On the other hand, the pvc-corsets an order aswell, but I don't think that it has to be delivered until august.
We'll see Smiley

I don't mind giving advice. Sometimes not even asked for Smiley Just shut me up when you've gotten enough!
Have a nice weekend, and I hope that your arceological dig will result in your willing and able sewingmachine! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2005 07:49:28 PM »

hmm, I made a corset top, with doubled up cable tie boning on the seams, out of black denim. it was my 3rd attempt at the particular pattern. version 1 is just plain ugly, made out of blue cotton and seam binding for the channels (it was Supposed to be a Demo) version 2, which is unboned, wearable, and generally I like it,  looks like this:

in version 3, there are no buttons on the front, and there are inch sized grommets on the back (8 of them per side.) all laced up, it looks fine, but....
1. the boning under my armpit bows out. nothing serious, but I can't figure out if this is a layer of fat/breast or something making it do this. and how can i fix it?
2. i did some size-adjusting based on vr. 2, except now the chest buckles, too. it falls forward, but it wont stay up. it's wierd, because this version is smaller, and it worked fine in vr. 2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2005 09:59:25 AM »

it's usually pretty easy to tell if it's a layer of fat that's making the boning bow out.. if you can feel the fat pushing it out when you run your fingers over it, then yep..

Otherwise, you might have cut the boning too long. (hey, it happens.. no biggie), all you have to do is open up the channel and trim about 1/2" off, maybe less depending on the severity of the bowing.

It's perfectly possible that you may not have sewed the 2nd and 3rd version exactly the same, or you might have changed the fit of the garment when you did the sizing alterations. Just keep working on fitting it til you get the fit you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2005 09:35:34 PM »

thanks. I'm glad the solutions isn't "add more boning" because I'm about ready to kill all those things! whaheelie!
I have to figure out some kind of busk thing cuz I can barely put it on as is, nevermind when it actually fits!
it's just pretty frustrating. I'm glad version 2 turned out, all though I wish it had turned out with boning. A girl posted a waist cincher todayish and she said somehting about interfacing....any thoughts? I may try it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andre Gide
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2005 09:20:25 AM »

interfacing and linings are super duper important.  they add strength and rigidness to your corset, which will also help with the bowing. If you have grommets or buttonholes or a busk, you need interfacing, or some sort of thick, strong fabric. 

A lining is equally important, because it adds some more strength to the overall garment.

People often add a layer of denim or an equally heavy material as well.. For strength. (if you're just making something for fashion, and not really meant for reduction.. this isn't necessarily important)

also something that's really really important is pressing your seams. I know it sounds weird, but it's just one of those things you got to do. I gurantee that it'll make your projects turn out ten thousand times nicer if you take the time to iron the seams and press the seam allowances according to the directions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2005 07:56:31 PM »

interfacing and linings are super duper important.  they add strength and rigidness to your corset, which will also help with the bowing. If you have grommets or buttonholes or a busk, you need interfacing, or some sort of thick, strong fabric. 

A lining is equally important, because it adds some more strength to the overall garment.

People often add a layer of denim or an equally heavy material as well.. For strength. (if you're just making something for fashion, and not really meant for reduction.. this isn't necessarily important)

also something that's really really important is pressing your seams. I know it sounds weird, but it's just one of those things you got to do. I gurantee that it'll make your projects turn out ten thousand times nicer if you take the time to iron the seams and press the seam allowances according to the directions.
Hey
I used black denim on VR. 3 because of the problems I ad with lining and stuff, so it is strong enough and whatnot, it's just getting the fit right- because there's a lot less leeway then I'm used to! All of a sudden everyone wants me to sew them little purses- which are Not time consuming, unless you're making 10. grr.

I have been pressing seams, except on curves. (lightbulb here) Maybe that's why it doesn't fit on my curves! haha...we'll see, we'll see... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andre Gide
Kristen81
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2005 11:49:36 AM »

This is an idea for boning if any one is interested. 

I'm making a fashion corset and because I was making it out of stretchy material (jogging fleece actually - just for fun) and I wanted to give it some basic structure.  I couldn't find any cable ties (the plastic ones) long enough (without taping them together) as my shirt will end up about 21" long. 

So I used drinking straws.  I just slightly squished one end and jammed it into the end of another (I used three for eash bone) then sewed it flat.  The feed dogs on the sewing machine wont grip it so I just chose the longest stitch and slowly pused it through under the needle. 

I ended up with a long flexibe flat strip of plastic sutible for feather light boning.  ***And it was FREE*** Just raid your local fast food restaurant. 

I found that the thinner the straw the less flexible they were though if the straws you use are brittle they wont work.  The white straws with the colored stripes seem to be best. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Calibrate Your Camera Part 2/3
How to Shoot a rock band
How to Understand DPI
How to Shoot a Two Year Old Child
How to Shoot a Photography Session
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...