A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 230893 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 21, 2009 02:46:56 PM »

Boning?  I know that this is used to keep the corest up and to help it keep shape, but is there anything CHEAPER!?  You need so much of it, its expensive, AND it seems to ruin it.  TO sew it, there's visible seams on the front, which I don't want.  Any ideas?

Well I made a corset out of old shirts for my Halloween costume that turned out looking great. (It was my first one too) I cost me not a penny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #991 on: October 21, 2009 07:01:55 PM »

sari_clark - sorry no one has responded before now...mid-to-heavy-weight denims should be find, but avoid stretch denim like the plague! I'd probably double up on the light-weight denim...if you feel like the denim might not be QUITE enough, or for comfort, a cotton inner layer is often nicer against the skin Smiley the amount of fabric you use will depend on what type of structure you want - if you are using this more as a practice piece, or don't want a lot of rigidity, your two layers should be fine.

you can cheap out on boning, too... lots of posts on how to do that throughout this thread, and all over the web Smiley
(Coolest one I have heard, and I can't remember if it was here or not, was to use old saw blades)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sari_clark
« Reply #992 on: October 22, 2009 01:49:44 PM »

jesebel_1982 - It's alright, I asked for some advice on another site I frequent. However I forgot to ask them about the denim so thank you for replying! I decided against the satin since it's so 'slippery' and instead bought 100% cotton curtains for the outer and inner layer. I will be adding a layer of denim though, thanks to you're information. Again, thanks for replying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #993 on: October 23, 2009 03:44:20 AM »

no problem Smiley
im not as experienced as a lot of the fabulous artisans that frequent this board, but have been trying to get it right, anyways...my unboned structured pieces turn out pretty well, but I haven't managed even a mock-up of a boned piece that looks good lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sari_clark
« Reply #994 on: October 23, 2009 09:47:41 PM »

Wow, now I'm worried about my own! Tongue

Sorry to keep asking but I have one more question, hopefully the last. I understand how to sew the pannels together but what about the layers? Like, when I finish sewing the outer and inner layers panels together do I just sew the tops and sides of all the layer together, or what? Sorry if that made no sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #995 on: October 24, 2009 12:26:41 AM »

In the past, I have never sewn the top layer to any of the others...I made each of my 3 layers independantly, then sewed the inner and middle layers together with boning channels, placed the top layer on and bound them together only at the top and ends (I cheat and use seam binding to help here)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trendydiva
Knit it Up!

ThisChic is a D.I.Y Diva

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: November 22, 2009 11:16:43 AM »

try watching try video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZPyJrlpwcw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitting  blog!
http://www.trendydiva.f2o.org/weblog

Join The Allen/Plano Knit Group
http://www.tcknitgroup.blogspot.com
Davinia
« Reply #997 on: November 26, 2009 10:39:06 AM »

I sew all my layers together at EVERY bone. Makes for a very sturdy corset.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smokering
« Reply #998 on: December 08, 2009 08:13:42 PM »

Whew! Just read all 100 pages. Now I have to make a corset to justify the time I spent reading! :p

I'm making a fairy-inspired dress for a garden party... not a costume per se (no wings or anything), but something I can wear for fancy occasions. (Bearing in mind that I have a fairly high tolerance for wearing weird things as normal clothes...) Anyway I'm designing the dress myself and have reluctantly decided it needs an underbust corset to look right. I say "reluctantly" because the idea of sewing a corset terrified me; but I'd love to master it, so! Questions:

I'm partway through making a mockup with denim, using a hideous bastardization of the Dark Leather pattern and the duct tape method. I've only made half the corset so far - the left-hand side. Unless I'm anatomically wonky, both sides should be symmetrical - so once I've got the shaping right over the hips and ribcage, do I need to make the other half to get a decent picture of the final product, or would this half do? (I need to lengthen it a little, so I was thinking about making the other half with the adapted pattern shapes, sewing both halves together and then just wrapping the thing around me to see how it looks... is that abominably lazy? Will it end in Doom?

Also: should all the panels be equal in size? In terms of shaping I could get away with cutting the back half of my duct-tape self in four pieces and my front in six, making a ten-panel corset in all: but of course this means the front panels are narrower than the back. It looks a little "off" to me, but that could be because my denim mockup has wonky edges and funny fading and is otherwise imprecise in general. If they should look equal in size, I assume their equalness should be around the waist? EDIT: Ignore this, I had another look at the Dark Leather tute and I'd been doing it totally wrong. Have fixed it now. After this, i won't be impressed by architects any more.

For this underbust (not for waist training, but I don't want it to be entirely wimpy either) I was thinking of not having a busk, and lacing the corset at both the back and the front with eyelets and ribbon. Again: workable, or liable to end in Doom?

I bought a selection of truly feeble fabrics for the dress (yes, before I finalised the pattern: I live on the edge!). They're fairyish, so sort of floaty and gossamery and the opposite of sturdy. I think the sturdiest is a thinnish embroidered cotton: the rest are chiffons and shantungs and lacy... stuff... of various kinds. So, totally NOT corset-suitable. I realise I need to use some sturdy denim/twill/duck (why is it called duck?); two layers, I was thinking. Should I just go back to the fabric store and buy some sturdier not-so-fairyish fabrics in matching colours... or is it possible to make the fashion fabric layer out of really delicate fabrics? Some of them are semi-seethrough, so I thought maybe I could do panels of textured sheer fabric over shantung or something, while keeping strain off the that layer of fabric and so on. But I'm not married to the idea, so if you think it would add way too much stress and complexity for a first-time corset tell me quickly. :p

Finally: Would be be OK to attach the fashion fabric layer to the strong layers just around the edge, ie. not sewing down each channel or seam, and then hand-stitch a curly embroidered pattern (and possibly add appliques etc) over the whole thing (although not through the boning, obviously)? Should I do it just through the top layer (before attaching to the other layers), or through all the layers, which would kinda quilt it together but might put more strain on the top layer?

Now to ring my craft/sewing store in the hopes they sell boning and duck/canvas/twill!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 09:25:12 PM by Smokering » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 14, 2009 11:52:14 AM »

This thread is so impressive!  After studying it, and gaining a bit more confidence with sewing (not to mention patience!) I'm just about ready to start mocking up my first corset.  It's going to be a long term project.  I've noticed a lot of people have said they use twill, duck, or denim in place of coutil--which one is preferable?  I'm planning on, ultimately, making a three layer corset that is *crossing fingers* reversible.  Also, I can't decide if I want to put in a busk.  I know if I don't I'll have to completely unlace and relace the thing, but I'm sort of okay with that.

I can't wait to get started!  (I'm going to be using the Simplicity Civil War pattern.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Groundskeeper Willie - 32nd Drawing
Brush Mixing Leaf Green
How to Recognize Value and Temperature of Color When Brush Mixing
How to Brush Mix
How to Brush Mix Leaf Colors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...