A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 225520 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LibisFish
« Reply #960 on: August 24, 2009 07:24:41 PM »

I used Simplicity (Costumes for adults) pattern # 0603 to make a nice corset that goes with a dress.  (View A)  I don't know if you can still buy that pattern though....  If you can find it, however, it is a nice pattern to use--fit me quite nicely and it was my very first corset (along with being my very first piece of clothing...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #961 on: August 25, 2009 10:03:02 AM »

I used Simplicity (Costumes for adults) pattern # 0603 to make a nice corset that goes with a dress.  (View A)  I don't know if you can still buy that pattern though....  If you can find it, however, it is a nice pattern to use--fit me quite nicely and it was my very first corset (along with being my very first piece of clothing...)
The Simplicity corset patterns are really good.  And wow- a corset for your first sewing project, I'm impressed!!  I'd love to see the finished product, I've used that pattern in the past, too, and really dig seeing how different people take the same pattern and run with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artesanity

This is me, then...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: September 13, 2009 10:14:26 AM »

I've made one.
I just wrapped plastic foil around my waist and the area were the corset was going to bee. Then a couple of rounds of duck tape and then I cut the whole thing of me (cut a straight line between breasts down) There you got the pattern!
Cut the whole thing into two from the back also, take the better looking side and cut that into 4-6 pieces.

My corset is here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TartyDragon
Cuboards: how do you expect me to keep things tidy without places to shove things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #963 on: September 13, 2009 10:45:44 AM »

*Phew* finished. After reading through 62 pages I realised  I should really be taking notes, after 83 I gave up and have finished the lot and after wanting one for years am more determined the ever.
I'm prob going to need a lot of help so please excuse stupid question and times between posts.

step one: Underbust pattern from Samleather,the Elizi custom gen or quack tape.

the Eliza I'm not sure about the shape as I'm rather fancying the victorian style overbust and from my reading the underbust seems to be the easiest for a novice.

Q: Can you do a overbust using the duck tape method, if so how do you tape over your upper self.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Sabrina fair, / Listen where thou art sitting/ Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave, / In twisted braids of lilies knitting / The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.”
Artesanity

This is me, then...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: September 13, 2009 10:56:08 AM »

Here's some helpful pics about the taping http://cows-finland.net/patricia.wolf/body_korsetti_n__1880.html The text is in finnish...

You'll probably gonna need some help w/ the upper part...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avalon_Princes27
Teenage Stitch Witch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #965 on: September 14, 2009 02:35:20 AM »

I'm in the middle of reading through this whole thread, but just wanted to say Hi. I'm currently wearing my second attempt at a corset.

I bought the Simplicity 2966 Fashion Corset pattern, and because i'm incapable of leaving things be modified the pattern, a lot. I'm generally a plus size, so in the first attempt I redrafted the pattern from their size 20, to a simplicity size 24, then when I sewed it up I spent forever resewing all the seams to take it down many many sizes. For some reason the pattern has a lot of ease in it. It also doesn't have a busk but is fairly easy to get on and off. The first attempt I also skipped the boning and used super heavy duty fusible interfacing, it was a severe fail. The second time I redrew the pattern, with a much smaller bust (I'm one of the unfortunate flat chested plus sizes), really curved the waist in, leaving the size 20 hips. It ended up at something like size 16 bust, size 14 waist and size 20 hips. I then still needed to add darts either side to make the top of the corset more form fitting. The second attempt had satin fashion fabric, satin lining and canvas sandwiched between. The pattern called for rigilene, but I totally ignored that and made channels of bias tape and slid cable ties into them. The front only had single cable ties, sides and back were doubled.

I wasn't after a waist cinching corset, rather a cute fashion top that gave me some curves as most clothes don't fit properly. I'm really happy with how it turned out, there's still a few minor problem, like the side cable ties are digging into my arms, but a bit of heavy duty fabric and some hand sewing should fix that. Definitely learnt a lot though, once I get the last few problems ironed out I'm going to make one of red satin with a black lace overlay.

Anyways just thought I'd let you know about that pattern, as it was mentioned ten pages back or so...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #966 on: September 14, 2009 09:50:12 AM »

the side cable ties are digging into my arms
you'd be better off cutting the bones shorter than just reinforcing the fabric.  If they dig it's because they're too long for your torso, adding more fabric may keep them from ripping the corset, but it'll just mean a fabric covered bit of bone digs into you instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TartyDragon
Cuboards: how do you expect me to keep things tidy without places to shove things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: September 15, 2009 12:54:41 PM »

I found Roethke's tute and I've measured and cut out a paper pattern that looks reeeeally small lol but thats without the  extra to stitch with.

Going to pin it to my  test fabrics tomorrow and sew it up. I'm planning on 3 layers for the test

you do put boning in the test pieces don't you?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009 01:00:57 PM by TartyDragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Sabrina fair, / Listen where thou art sitting/ Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave, / In twisted braids of lilies knitting / The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.”
TartyDragon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: September 17, 2009 06:10:57 AM »

I'm using cut up garden hose as boning in this one because I  don't want that much reduction and its my first one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #969 on: September 17, 2009 09:02:52 AM »

yes, you would want to use bones in your test corset.  Otherwise you won't really get an accurate assessment of the fit- the bones will keep it from riding up or down on the sides, and keep the back straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Give Instance Names to Symbols in Flash
How to Create Menus for Your Games in Flash
How to Add a Foggy Effect to Your Images
A Photoshop Introduction
How to Setup Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...