A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 232585 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #910 on: February 16, 2009 08:35:15 PM »

I'm not one of the master corset makers of craftster, but I'll be glad to pipe in with my 0.02
From what I've seen of patterned corsets, with the shaping involved, it's very hard to get an exact pattern match on the fabric. Most I've seen just match the center front, and leave the rest to do it's thing as needed. I personally would still try to cut on the grain, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #911 on: February 17, 2009 01:10:39 PM »

I'm not one of the master corset makers of craftster, but I'll be glad to pipe in with my 0.02
From what I've seen of patterned corsets, with the shaping involved, it's very hard to get an exact pattern match on the fabric. Most I've seen just match the center front, and leave the rest to do it's thing as needed. I personally would still try to cut on the grain, though.

Yeah that's what I figured, and after looking around for more info what I did find pretty much confirms it. I did also find this tutorial on pattern-matching for corsets that oh-so-conveniently was posted at the corsetmakers comm just the other day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #912 on: February 18, 2009 11:57:18 AM »

I once saw a very expensive corset where they had the (very beautiful) patterned fabric upside down in the front.
So even professionals get it wrong sometimes Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jambles

Born and Livin' in the land of OZ!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #913 on: February 26, 2009 10:39:46 PM »

Well I have read 92 pages worth of information over 2 days, and I gotta admit, each post just made me more eager to have a go at making my own corset. I havent bought my material yet, but I have purchased spiral boning, a couple of pieces of spring steel boning for the straight seams, a 36cm (14 inch) busk, and lacing. I will be making a trip down the street this weekend to go looking for grommets. I want to make mine long in the body, and I am a big girl but also tall. I've already made a couple of calico copies to make sure that Im stitching them right. I hopefully have bought enough boning to be putting to lengths on either side of each seam, while hopefully having a 3 layer corset. Cotton lining, something strong in the center and a fashion outer layer.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has input into this thread, as you have helped me a great deal to understand how to go about making my first corset Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #914 on: March 08, 2009 10:28:15 AM »

Bah. I STILL haven't got started, b/c I'm buying the materials for like, 4-5 corsets at once and currently out of a job, so I have half of the stuff (grommet setter -which I found at Home Depot for like, $4, a fraction of what most corset making sites charge, all the fabric, some twill, the boning), but I still need to get busks, coutil for when I run out of the twill, grommets, and lacing.

Oh, by the way - I HIGHLY recommend Dragon Town Corset Supplies! I bought some boning from there and had it in-hand I think...four days later? I ordered on a Saturday and I think I got it on Tuesday or Wednesday. And the lady is SUPER nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Davinia
« Reply #915 on: March 12, 2009 04:56:05 AM »

About pattern matching:
My last corset had a pretty elaborate pattern in it.

And it was super simple to match (all the way round)

- I just figured out what part I wanted to be in the middle.
- Folded the fabric in half at that exact point. (grainline as a fixed parameter of course, very important)
- Layed the pattern pieces as close together as possible in the right order and right sides up.

and tada... easy as that

On the subject of big busts (Yeah, another G over here). I so recognise the back problem issue. But I have one big problem with wearing corsets. I can't sit in them! (the overbusts buckle, the underbusts are just uncomfortable)
Am I doing something wrong in my corsetbuilding or will this problem be solved by using metal boning?

On the subject of fabrics for corsets:
I love using curtainfabrics Cheesy They are very sturdy, come in nice patterns and are always non-stretch... just perfect!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009 05:01:13 AM by Davinia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #916 on: March 12, 2009 06:51:10 AM »

I made an overbust corset for my girlfriend (sorry, no pics) and it fits perfectly when she's standing, but when she sits down it pushes her boobs into her neck. So it would seem that the corset is too long for sitting down and is pushed up when she does sit down.
I could be wrong, but I think this is a general problem with longer corsets, because I don't have this problem with a short underbust corset that I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veghead
« Reply #917 on: March 12, 2009 07:20:06 AM »

I was taught to solve the sitting problem that when you make up your muslin (which can actually be your liner or interlining if you wish to save time) pin yourself into it and SIT down with your chalk marking pencil. Anything that folds up on the when sitting is excess and needs to be marked. This is because it won't bend later with boning/busk in it. Unpin yourself and cut off the excess. Pin yourself back in to make sure it is right before you copy these muslin peices on the rest of your fabric. Linda Sparks has an excellent book out called The Basics of Corset Building. It's the best book for any corset questions and it's also a step by step book with pictures. This is just my opinion, but it will take you from beginning to end with basic steps for a beginner. I use the sit down method and I can sit, but I personally don't think any corset is comfortable for sitting because it keeps my back to straight and I have a bad habit of liking to slouch when I sit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady_Frog
« Reply #918 on: March 12, 2009 06:23:19 PM »

o...wow....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #919 on: March 13, 2009 09:26:14 PM »

On the subject of big busts (Yeah, another G over here). I so recognise the back problem issue. But I have one big problem with wearing corsets. I can't sit in them! (the overbusts buckle, the underbusts are just uncomfortable)
Am I doing something wrong in my corsetbuilding or will this problem be solved by using metal boning?

On the subject of fabrics for corsets:
I love using curtainfabrics Cheesy They are very sturdy, come in nice patterns and are always non-stretch... just perfect!

Metal boning alone won't solve that problem; the only corset I've paid substantial money for does the same thing, and it has metal boning, spiral steel. I find the problem is lack of boning -- it looks like you only have boning channels at the seams? Depending on the width of your pieces, put more channels in between the seams, I have boning every 1.5 inches or so. Also, lots of corset makers use spiral steel over the bust to allow it to curve. If you're a G cup, make SURE that you use the 1/2 wide ones. The 1/4 wide is pretty useless for us busty ladies. And I have corsets with 1/2 wide zip tie boning over the bosoms, and it doesn't buckle, so long as there is not more than 2 inches between channels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Daily Steps to Get Glowing Skin
5 Best Spring Perfumes
Rouge New York: A Makeup Salon
Black and Gold Dual Eyeliner at Badgley Mischka NYFW 2014
Model Molly Sims LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...