A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 228225 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #890 on: September 22, 2008 12:16:22 PM »

I'm working on an overbust corset for my girlfriend and put in the busk yesterday, which made me really proud of myself, because that was my first time inserting a busk and it went really well.
It will also be my first time using steel boning. On a German website I found a corset tutorial and there someone said that FIMO clay is great for making caps on boning and I thought it sounds like it will work, especially since FIMO clay sticks to metal, so I'll give it a try. Has anyone else ever done this?
Of course I'll give my opinion about this method when I've tried it and I'll post pictures when the corset is finished Wink.

EDIT:
Tried the clay on spiral steel boning and it worked perfectly, even with the coated boning for the grommets. I don't think I'll ever buy the boning caps.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008 12:58:47 PM by Psycho_Bitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katharotes
« Reply #891 on: November 30, 2008 02:10:42 AM »

I made this mock-up, and I screwed up on the measurement, it's too short! And so many other flaws... I actually used corrugated plastic as boning material, and all the eyelets were painfully hand-stitched 'cos I couldn't find suitable grommets. Well, it sucks where I live, but I use what I have. The straps are also too short 'cos I was guessing.

I followed this pattern, with a lot of help from the Custom Corset Pattern Generator.

This is the back. What's bothering me is how does one sew that scrap of fabric below the zigzag lacing to cover up the backside? Like this? I'm really clueless about this.

Any help is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008 02:33:28 AM by katharotes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: November 30, 2008 12:45:52 PM »

This is the back. What's bothering me is how does one sew that scrap of fabric below the zigzag lacing to cover up the backside? Like this? I'm really clueless about this.

Any help is much appreciated!

A lot of times, this is integrated into the corset, and is attached through the lining and to the inner layer.  Now, if you don't want to tear it apart (and I know I hate doing that) you can attach it to the inside of your corset next to the grommets.  It attaches to one side, opposite side from the open edge.  The other side isn't attached.  You could just use the fabric alone, or stiffen the panel.  I have seen different things used to stiffen it, such as plastic canvas.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
dropdeadred77
« Reply #893 on: December 19, 2008 11:04:40 PM »

Hello corseteers! So I got to page 60 of this thread before I finally drafted this sucker and set to work. Took me about 5-6 hours last night - I had two false starts before this one, one for me and one measured for a friend and both turned out gaping at the underbust, so I figured that out and I think for a first go this is pretty cool. It's not very curvy, but it fits to me which means I have at least got that part right - next trials I will reduce the waist measurement in larger proportion to the rest.

I used cable ties and this thing is quite sturdy, it certainly keeps me upright. I drafted a bit by roethke's tute, a bit by the samleather one, and then figured out why in the world they weren't right the rest of the way myself. I think next time I would bone *both* sides of the grommets (instead of just outside on the back seam) and would probably use much smaller ones, these are size 1. I may go down to #00.

Oh and I also made the binding myself woo!

You can probably tell the top layer isn't sewn to the duck canvas I used as the inner/stiff layer - I was getting tireder and tireder and I confess I pinned and sewed the top seam without realising it had started to go askew so the seams were a bit off one one side and didn't match up. I would pay more attention next time and make sure I could topstitch my channels properly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #894 on: January 30, 2009 11:59:21 AM »

I'm working on reading the entire thread right now and I think I'm in the mid-20s, but I wanted to post and hopefully get some advice as I get paid today and I'm looking to buy some corset-making stuff. I'm rather busty(32 or 34 F depending on the brand...) and my back hurts all the time even though I'm wearing the right size of bra, so I'm thinking about just wearing corsets under most of my clothes (yes, I know this can weaken back muscles, I figure I'll just exercise more Wink ). But I certainly can't afford to buy more than like, one corset every six months, so I'm looking into making them. I want something with a little waist compression (doesn't have to be anything dramatic) and definitely back and breast support. From what I've been reading here and on the corsetmakers lj comm, it looks like my best bet would be to use the Laughing Moon Silverado pattern and put in some hip gores. Is that about right? I figured I'd make a mockup in a plain heavy-duty fabric (since, like I said, at least some of these will be functioning mainly as undergarments) and see how it fits and then adjust from there. I also thought I'd pick up The Basics Of Corset Building as it seems to come relatively well recommended. Thoughts? Thanks Smiley

edit: I actually think I'm going to get the Truly Victorian pattern instead, I've seen some pictures of it and it looks just as good and I keep hearing it's easier to construct.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009 07:18:41 PM by sapphire_distortion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
andi_sunrider
« Reply #895 on: January 31, 2009 11:49:16 AM »

Glad that you're venturing forth into the awesome creative world of corsetry!

I haven't actually made either of the patterns you're talking about, but have seen some lovely results.

But I wanted to pitch in that I'm also busty like you (F/G usually), and I've found that underbusts help me tremendously with my mid-lower back pain. Whenever I go somewhere that standing will be required for more than an hour, I'll wear one, otherwise the pain becomes unbearable. Since you didn't mention where the pain is, I thought I would throw that out there, as overbusts are more finicky and difficult to fit, especially with such a large bust. So since it's your first one, you might find an underbust easier to make, and they're also easier to hide under clothes, I find.

But if you really want an overbust, go for it! I don't want to discourage you, just throw out another option. If you're determined and willing to do mock-ups, overbusts are very possible for your first corset (my first one was an overbust).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
azuzuinatree
« Reply #896 on: January 31, 2009 02:35:37 PM »

I've been working up the courage to make a corset for some time now, and after finally defeating a few of my other drafting fears (button holes, darts, and lapels), I think I'm ready. I'm interested in making more of a bustier style garment... I like the way attached cups look (http://www.fredericks.com/product.asp?catalog_name=Holiday2002&category_name=Corsets&product_id=51405), but I have no idea where to start, especially since I have a small bust, average waist, and "child bearing" hips. Should I draft my own pattern (and if so, how the hell do I get started on that), or should I find one that fits me? Please, send me guidance, allmighty corset thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #897 on: January 31, 2009 04:17:01 PM »

Glad that you're venturing forth into the awesome creative world of corsetry!

I haven't actually made either of the patterns you're talking about, but have seen some lovely results.

But I wanted to pitch in that I'm also busty like you (F/G usually), and I've found that underbusts help me tremendously with my mid-lower back pain. Whenever I go somewhere that standing will be required for more than an hour, I'll wear one, otherwise the pain becomes unbearable. Since you didn't mention where the pain is, I thought I would throw that out there, as overbusts are more finicky and difficult to fit, especially with such a large bust. So since it's your first one, you might find an underbust easier to make, and they're also easier to hide under clothes, I find.

But if you really want an overbust, go for it! I don't want to discourage you, just throw out another option. If you're determined and willing to do mock-ups, overbusts are very possible for your first corset (my first one was an overbust).

Thank you! I really do appreciate the input from someone else who uses corsets for more-than-aesthetic purposes. I already ordered the overbust corset from TV but now I might look into an underbust too - any recommendations for a good pattern?

My back pain is...pretty much all over >_< Between the shoulderblades and lower back is the worst, although a lot of times I don't realize how bad my lower back hurts until I lay down for the night, but the area between the shoulderblades aches about all the time any more, starting a few hours after I wake up, and it's terrible because then it seems like it travels up my neck so I just end up hurting all over!

Thank you again for your help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #898 on: January 31, 2009 06:51:48 PM »

sapphire_distortion - I know this isn't in everyone's budget, but Massage Therapy can really help! If you have any kind of insurance coverage for it, see if you can get a referall from your Dr (yes, I'm biased...)
I have suffered low back pain for many years (part of the reason I started loving corsets so much) and more recently have had it spreading up my back, across my shoulders and into my neck. An RMT helped find the underlying causes and has since been working with me to regain some strength and stability in my joints and soft tissues. Any good MT should be able to run a series of assessments on you to find the cause... Or, if you don't qualify for Massage, try to get into a physiotherapist, or even a chiropractor (only if necessary)
The MT did reccomend AGAINST wearing corsets, but has since retracted that piece of advice, as she has noticed major improvements in my posture due to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #899 on: January 31, 2009 07:43:34 PM »

sapphire_distortion - I know this isn't in everyone's budget, but Massage Therapy can really help! If you have any kind of insurance coverage for it, see if you can get a referall from your Dr (yes, I'm biased...)
I have suffered low back pain for many years (part of the reason I started loving corsets so much) and more recently have had it spreading up my back, across my shoulders and into my neck. An RMT helped find the underlying causes and has since been working with me to regain some strength and stability in my joints and soft tissues. Any good MT should be able to run a series of assessments on you to find the cause... Or, if you don't qualify for Massage, try to get into a physiotherapist, or even a chiropractor (only if necessary)
The MT did reccomend AGAINST wearing corsets, but has since retracted that piece of advice, as she has noticed major improvements in my posture due to them.

Actually, my father knows someone who's licensed but has a different full time job now and he also knows someone at work who goes to a woman in a neighboring town so he's going to ask about that at work on Monday (just got off the phone with him). I don't have insurance right now, but really, if two hours every other week would help sort this out I would gladly pay out of pocket. I don't mean to be a downer or sound whiny but it is SO TERRIBLE any more that I just don't know what to do. As soon as I get home I just want to take of my bra and lay down because it's the only thing that helps at all hahaha, and even then I have to toss and turn. I know my posture isn't too great but it so so hard to have good posture with my back aching like this. Good to know corsets helped improve your posture! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 19/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 10/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 14/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 9/13
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 15/26
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...