A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,075
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 272514 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Koriku
« Reply #820 on: October 22, 2007 05:37:43 AM »

That makes a lot more sense Grin Okay, so I'll get some two-part eyelets then. What's the advantage of the hammer setter over the punch? I'd rather stick with the punch just because it's so easy, but if there's a considerable difference in the end result I'll get a hammer setter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms_Tori_Jones
Corsets by Tori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: October 22, 2007 09:42:51 AM »

That makes a lot more sense Grin Okay, so I'll get some two-part eyelets then. What's the advantage of the hammer setter over the punch? I'd rather stick with the punch just because it's so easy, but if there's a considerable difference in the end result I'll get a hammer setter.

I find that the plier type setters don't give even pressure and can set the grommets uneven.  The hammer setter type give even pressure and better looking results.

also note that you should not be cutting the fabric but instead separating the fibers to insert the grommets.  Cutting leads to weak spots.

Tori
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Tori Jones
*found on LiveJournal as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/

*Yahoo CorsetConstruction as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/
Koriku
« Reply #822 on: October 22, 2007 05:08:29 PM »

How do I separate fibers enough to fit a huge eyelet through? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms_Tori_Jones
Corsets by Tori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: October 22, 2007 05:30:24 PM »

How do I separate fibers enough to fit a huge eyelet through? Huh

Very carefully.

use an awl.  it takes time but it can be done.

Tori
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Tori Jones
*found on LiveJournal as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/

*Yahoo CorsetConstruction as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2007 02:20:48 AM »

I was in the process of making a corset last year when my measurements changed drastically and it no longer fit.  Since I don't have a sewing machine, I didn't really feel like taking it all apart and doing it over.

I randomly came across it in my sewing bin today and decided to try it on for fun.  Lo and behold, it almost fits!  I still need to take it in a bit, but I guess I gained some weight in the last year.

So now I'm going to finish it up, which is mostly finishing the embellishment, but I also need to fix the back, since there's a little bit of fraying and it's not straight.  I also want to get better laces, the ones I have seem to stretch out when I pull them instead of tightening as much as I'd like.

Pictures:

What it looked like before, I added more boning to the front to fix the crease, and you can tell it looks too big:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
andi_sunrider
« Reply #825 on: October 29, 2007 09:19:13 PM »

I used eyelets of almost all of my corsets, the TWO part dritz ones, with the hammer setting tool. I never had a metal hammer break the setting thing on the bottom, but it has been a problem that it's cracked the paint on the colour eyelets. For the coloured ones, I found that putting a piece of the thick twill on the bottom setting piece helped minimize that, but you just have to be extremely careful with setting it in the right spot. I've yet to have any of these two part eyelets come out from too much stress, and I lace fairly tight (or rather, the men I get to lace me in lace tight....). They also come in a lot of colours, which can be really awesome for matching (or making them not match) with fabrics!

My experience with the pliers that you get at jo-anns to be similar to other peoples --they're not a good investment at all! They're not strong and durable, and they press unevenly. The hammer and setters are much more worthwhile, and it's easier on your hands, especially if you're doing more than ten or so eyelets/grommets at a time, because the hammer is doing the work, and they're pretty cheap. I'd recommend putting them in a tin or something so that you ALWAYS know where both pieces are -- I now own three sets for small eyelets because I kept losing one or the other pieces!

That said, I recently purchased a pair of very high quality setting pliers from The Fitting Room, and I'm VERY happy with how well they set. They're $30 and would be heavy for shipping, so definitely go with the hammer and setters until you've decided that you're going to be doing them for awhile and want to invest a bit more.

As far as awls go, check home depot. Take both pieces of the grommet/eyelet with you, as an awl that's smaller at the base than your intended eyelets is not very helpful at all, and it's way better to spend the extra $10-20 on the larger one. I had someone pick my current one up for me, and balked a bit when they told me it cost $25, but it is soooo much better to have it a bit bigger at the base than the eyelet holds, because as soon as you remove the awl, the fabric wants to tighten back up, especially when you've got several layers.

Good luck! And happy addiction:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: October 30, 2007 06:12:45 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I have used the Dritz eyelets before, but I wasn't happy with them at all.  Get some grommets from Farthingales, or any of the other corset/costume maker sites.  You'll be happier.  As for setting them...If you plan on doing more than 1 or 2 corsets, get a setter, and not a hammered one.  I have the Home Pro, like the one in the link below...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BASIC-CORSET-BODICE-MAKERS-PKG-HOMEPRO-BONING-DIE-H10_W0QQitemZ330180483354QQihZ014QQcategoryZ28133QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I bought one last year, not from this seller, and it's made my life easier.  I do recommend the awl to get the fibers to separate instead of cutting the fabric.  Do as I say, not as a tend to do Wink.  My Ren Bodices get the holes punched, mostly because I'm not putting them under as much stress and because I'm lazy.  Corsets get the awl.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
andi_sunrider
« Reply #827 on: October 30, 2007 05:59:53 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I have used the Dritz eyelets before, but I wasn't happy with them at all.  Get some grommets from Farthingales, or any of the other corset/costume maker sites.  You'll be happier.  As for setting them...If you plan on doing more than 1 or 2 corsets, get a setter, and not a hammered one.  I have the Home Pro, like the one in the link below...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BASIC-CORSET-BODICE-MAKERS-PKG-HOMEPRO-BONING-DIE-H10_W0QQitemZ330180483354QQihZ014QQcategoryZ28133QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I bought one last year, not from this seller, and it's made my life easier. 

I'm jealous of the press! That will have to go on the list of "when the student loan is paid off" items, like the professional iron..... Or maybe on the christmas list, since the male members of the family seem to love buying everything off of ebay.

I've had bad experiences with the one-part dritz eyelets when I was first making corsets, leaving a ton of scratches on the skin because they're not smooth. I've not had any problems at all with the two part ones, and they look nothing like the image that Koriku posted, all split and scratchy and messy looking. I've also always used an awl when using them, and have never had any rip out, despite warnings from other sca-ers. I guess it's a matter of aesthetics as much as anything -- I like how the ones from corsettry supply shops look with some materials (cotton drill, satins, etc, when they're not detract from the colours of the patterned fabric) but sometimes I just want the coloured effect, or want the eyelets to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Just playing devils advocate:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
Koriku
« Reply #828 on: October 30, 2007 06:39:48 PM »

Okay, good to know what I need... so complicated, though, that I keep coming up with more and more things that I need to get/change Angry Ah well.

I don't really want to deal with buying things online -- first off, I want to try and make my corset with stuff I can get around here, just to keep things simple. I'm also only 15, so I'm pretty much restricting myself to where/when my parents can drive me to buy stuff... (they're kind of hard to order online with, anyway -- they overcomplicate things and they're really forgetful Undecided) but as long as I can get a hammer setter and good two-part eyelets (will keep the name Dritz in mind, but will probably forget it) at JoAnn and FIND an awl in Home Depot (last time I went there for thicker cable ties it took like 20 minutes and 4 employees to find them) I should manage.

At present my biggest setback is that I haven't even redrafted my pattern yet Undecided because I've got other projects that have become more important. (Namely birthday/holiday stuff -- mine and my boyfriend's are both in early November, which is shortly followed by Christmas. And I feel like I have to sew whenever and WHATever possible. (Like presents.) I just have to make things difficult for myself Tongue) So it might take me a while to get to this. But I'll get it done... eventually... Once I bother to redraft the pattern and cut out fabric pieces it'll start moving a lot faster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: October 30, 2007 07:43:43 PM »

I like how the ones from corsettry supply shops look with some materials (cotton drill, satins, etc, when they're not detract from the colours of the patterned fabric) but sometimes I just want the coloured effect, or want the eyelets to be as unobtrusive as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, I think that the Canadian Farthingales has colored 2 piece eyelets.  If not, then one of the bigger corsetry suppliers has them. 

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...