A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 225283 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004 09:11:17 PM »

A little update-- I just scared myself half to death with the zipper foot of MY NEW SEWING MACHINE. I sewed over my fingernail... Anyway, I have taught myself to use the machine, and the corset is almost finished! hehe It cracks me up that a corset is my first sewing machine project.

Here is what I learned:
1. Sewing machines are nice, once you learn how to sew a straight line. (and before I used the zipper foot... grrr...)
2. Hand-Quilting thread is great for basting, cause it is slick and you can just pull it right out with no tangles.
3. Straight pins are my best friend and worst enemy.  You can't sew over them and 4 layers of fabric without breaking a few needles, but they help sooo much... and, ever stepped on one in the middle of the night?.
4. Corsets aren't really hard, just time consuming (and um, this one has 64 total pieces, including bones, but excluding grommets)...
5. I will never be intimidated by anything, ever again in life. (see #4)
6. The only things in life that are predictable are death and taxes-- US mail is extremely unpredictable. (14 days for 2 day delivery!)
7. If you run around the house yelling "I am GOD!" at 3 am because both sides match EXACTLY, your boyfriend will look at you funny.
8. I have more patience than I ever expected.
9. People on craftster are REALLY nice when you need help or advice!
But the best one:
10. Your friends will let you wrap them in duct tape, and let you laugh at them, if you ask!

I'll post pics in the next few days... I am sooooo proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004 12:02:46 PM »

brilliant! *claps*

well done thixle, you really are a trooper  Grin can't wait to see your pics.

any sewing after this will seem so easy!!

just a word about sewing over pins... please don't  Undecided you could ruin your machine, as you can wear your feed dogs down quicker (the little teeth that feed the fabric through, located under the needle  Smiley)
plus they can cause other related problems... best thing to do is pin your work at right angles to the stitching line, and remove them as you come to them, just before they reach the needle area  Grin

*gets down from soapbox*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
zombietrash

I am the walrus, coo coo cachoo.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2004 12:15:19 PM »

So you made your own pattern with duct tape, or you ordered one and just used the tape so it would fit him perfectly?

I've been wanting to make a corset for months, I won the perfect fabric for it off of ebay, but it was never sent to me.  I can't wait to see yours, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadkate
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2004 07:41:17 PM »

wow,wow,wow....what really great work. Corsets are really advanced. I can't wait to see the finished project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2004 07:57:52 PM »

I used duct tape to make the pattern, not a bought pattern. Basically, wrapped him up like a mummy, then cut it out into strips. The instructions are at www.waisted.com  I highly recommend that site! The instructions are very detailed, and give you many, many options to get different effects. For some reason, I cannot follow a strict pattern-- I like to make stuff up as I go along.

I would have had pics last Sunday, but hehe, John couldn't wait for me to get batteries in the camera! I just realized, I'm always running out of batteries... Anywho, he was so excited. I only got him to stick around long enough to get him laced in comfortably and learn how to sit properly!

So bear with me everyone, college is back in session and schedules are hectic, but I should have the pics up in a few more days!

Oh, and I'm in a textiles/ fibers class this term and my professor is going to let me make corsets for grades! I love it!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004 07:59:39 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
love cholie

I'm a llama! <-- what the..:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2004 12:29:27 PM »

i just bought plastic boning for a corset i planing on making.  should i buy the covers or should i make pockets with the fabric i'm using for the corset?  sorry if this is confusing... if i don't make any sense, how would you make a corset? have you made one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2004 12:49:34 PM »

Here is the thread where I was trying to figure out how to make a corset:
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=621;start=0

I still don't have pics up yet (trying to get my friend, the corset, a camera, and batteries together all at the same time... grrr). But, I can say, it was suprisingly easy- and my first sewing project on a machine!

To answer your "pocket" question, I put my boning between layers of the corset: There was the outside (pretty fabric) and a lining (black fabric). BUT, I used white (metal) boning, very heavy!  Since you are using plastic, and may not want a lining, you could definitely make the "pockets." You could make the pockets out of plain fabric and put them on the inside, OR make them out of the same or contrasting fabric and put them on the outside! Really, all the pockets are is a strip of fabric with the two sides folded in-- I wouldn't waste the $$$ on buying them.

Did you buy a pattern? It is VERY easy to make your own, fit specifically for your body- you don't even have to take measurements or do any math! The directions are here: www.waisted.com and all you need is duct tape and a marker! That is what I used for John's corset, since, well, he is a guy and there are no "male" corset patterns like he wanted...

So, yeah, I'm rambling, but it is really exciting! I'll post pics sometime today of MY "duct tape dummy" that I'll be making MY corset out of...

*ramble ramble ramble, excited!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WrdyGrrl

Actually, I'm a polymath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004 01:24:58 PM »

I've always used binding tape with double folds for pockets when using any type of boning in a dress. For things that were lined, I'd leave an end open, slide the boning in the self-pockets and sew the tops closed. The problem with that is that many lining materials aren't as hefty and you end up with poke through - very uncomfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
love cholie

I'm a llama! <-- what the..:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004 02:02:48 PM »

goodness! thanks!!  do u think it would be ok to copy the pattern of a corset i already have and fits well?

if it doesn't fit perfectly, i might make an alteration and add lacing to the back.  does taht sound ok?

oh and i forgot to add, that this will be a top and made out of linen, so i think the plastic will show up anyway.....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 02:06:40 PM by love cholie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004 10:48:56 AM »

By all means, copy the pattern of one that fits well!

But, what do you  mean about being a top? (or the alteration part, that threw me too). Are you working from one that doesn't lace up? Could you post a pic of the one you are working from?

To keep the boning from showing, you can always double the fabric for the boning "pockets" so the plastic won't show. But, then again, if it is double layered (lining & outside) you can put fusable interfacing to the backs of the pieces-- makes the fabric more opaque.

If I wasn't running late for class, I would get more detailed and post some pics... Be back later  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ambient Art - Cezanne
How to Clean Up and Maintenance Airbrushes
How to Reveal Masked Image using an Airbrush
How to Create a Geometric Shape using an Airbrush
Airbrush Masking Techniques Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...