A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 228755 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ms_Tori_Jones
Corsets by Tori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: August 04, 2007 06:54:36 PM »

There is so much wonderful information here. I wish I had read it all before I had tried my hand at making a corset! I really wanted one as a possible alternative to a bra as I am not keen on the synthetic fabric and elastic used in most of them so, I made the 1860s Corset from the Tudorlinks website http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/index.html, which was extremely easy to construct. I haven't seen anyone else here mention it, so I thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else wants to try it.

I have wanted to try that pattern but haven't because I was uncertain how it would work with my breasts.  I have a 38JJ and didn't know how easy it would be to make it fit me.

How did you find the fitting in the breasts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Tori Jones
*found on LiveJournal as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/

*Yahoo CorsetConstruction as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: August 04, 2007 08:40:22 PM »

Wow, it looks gorgeous!

I definitely wouldn't put steel bones in the washer if I were you... there are some kinds that are coated to reduce the risk of them rusting, but it's still a possibility.  Plus those puppies are pretty stiff and I wouldn't want them to damage the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: August 04, 2007 11:05:59 PM »

Has anyone who uses steel boning put this in the washing machine? I'd like to use it but I think I have heard that using it means the corset must be hand washed and I'm really lazy about doing my hand washing.

Nope, don't put anything boned in steel in the washer...dry clean it.  Make or buy a liner so that the corset doesn't get AS dirty as fast.  You don't want to have the boning rust in the wash.  Even though most spring steels are plastic coated, any imperfection  in the coating will let in water, and your corset can, and most likely be, ruined. 
You corset looks pretty darn good for a 2nd attempt.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
janaana
« Reply #763 on: August 05, 2007 02:13:06 AM »

Thanks so much for that advice.

I really wanted to use this corset as a replacement for having to wear bras under everyday clothing, so I had better stick to plastic for that, as I'd prefer to be able to wash it each time it's been worn.

Now I've seen all the lovely ones here I want to make another one with nicer fabric to wear on show and I'd definitely use steel bones for that. Making liner for it sounds like an excellent idea but do you mean something separate from or attached to the corset?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms_Tori_Jones
Corsets by Tori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: August 05, 2007 08:35:21 AM »

Making liner for it sounds like an excellent idea but do you mean something separate from or attached to the corset?

A liner is normally a 100% cotton t-shirt like fabric tube worn under a corset to absorb sweat and any body dirt.  The liners are washed daily and the corset stays much cleaner.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Tori Jones
*found on LiveJournal as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/

*Yahoo CorsetConstruction as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2007 12:51:46 PM »

woo hey finally I have my finished corset, can be found here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187885.0 I cant find any other pics of it Sad xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
janaana
« Reply #766 on: August 17, 2007 05:36:57 AM »

I have wanted to try that pattern but haven't because I was uncertain how it would work with my breasts.  I have a 38JJ and didn't know how easy it would be to make it fit me.

How did you find the fitting in the breasts?

I'm really sorry to reply so late; somehow I'd missed your question, as I thought mine was the last on that page and thank you very much for answering my question about the liner too; I'll definitely try that.

Well, I'm a 32DD or 30E, so although I don't have quite as much variation between my chest and bust measurement as you have, it was a concern for me too but in the end I found that the cup would really allow for whatever you need to keep in it, as far as its horizontal measurements go, (in fact the cups of mine continue under my arms a little although without drawing my bust outwards like I find some bras do) but needed a little added in terms of depth to the front of the main piece and the two bust gussets.

My main problem with the fit was the fact that I needed to extend the waist a great deal to get the cups to reach where my bust actually is. Version one, using the exact scaled up pattern from the site  had its bust part floating just above my waist, giving me an interesting although not very flattering four breasted appearance! I think I extended it by an inch and a half to make version two, as you can see in the pictures, but although it now reaches my bust, it is still pulling it downwards, which may be good for that drooping shouldered look that seemed to be popular in mid Victorian times but still made me worry that my bust might make a bid for freedom if I lift up my arm to point out something high up on the board when I'm teaching and much as I love to grab my students' attention, that's not the way I'd choose to do it!

Maybe it would be best to just make it up from the original pattern out of cheap cloth with a loose stitch and tack on more cloth where needed, then take it to bits to make a new pattern for your real one. I found I could see what the problems were going to be by pinning it in place on the clothes I was wearing, even before I'd added the boning & fastenings.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007 05:51:38 AM by janaana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EvilTadpole
« Reply #767 on: August 20, 2007 05:44:27 PM »

Geesh, huge topic, so much to read.  I must admit I only read the first 15 pages and the last 15 pages.  I too, would like to start my first corset, so some advice please.  I'm a D cup (not small, but not gigantor either) and I would like something that pushes my puppies up and out - I want them to say hello world!  Anyways, does anyone have a good recommendation on patterns, I'm looking for a corset that goes from right about the nipple line to about mid hip.  I'll continue to read rest of this topic later tonight.  Hope to hear from someone soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockchick084

I want to learn to make dresses!

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2007 06:33:15 PM »

hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingdaysareover. blogspot.com
zeeblebee
« Reply #769 on: August 26, 2007 01:32:11 AM »

hmm

?

EvilTadpole, I don't have that much experience with corsets, but I imagine that you could either start with a pattern that fits your specs, or else lengthen/ shorten an existing pattern, like that Danish generator linkie which is lurking around I am sure, but I just can't find (sorry).

I am not sure which are the key measurements which you need to base your alterations around though, but I am sure that one of the more experienced women here will be able to help you much more effectively than I have Wink.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007 01:36:38 AM by zeeblebee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Preserved Lemons to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Ricotta Salata to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Aioli to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
How to Plate a Roasted Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...