A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 232315 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gingembre
« Reply #600 on: January 03, 2007 07:21:33 AM »

Sounds like a great idea to me!  Since I've vowed to make another corset after the one I'm currently working on, maybe I'll give it a try. 
It would be a great way to make the corset more wearable, since you could match the different covers to different outfits.  I say that if you spend that much time and money making something, it should be something you will get a lot of use out of!

Hm, how would you attach the cover to the corset itself?  Snaps maybe?  Hooks and eyes?  Maybe separating zippers?

That's why I thought of it - I figure, some of the nice "cover" fabrics might be the sort of thing you should dry clean only, but you might be able to cut down on that some if your "under corset" could be handwashed easily. Also, this way you would only have to do the boning ONCE lol instead of for each new corset! Cheesy

I would probably do hook and eyes or snaps I think...but I would love to see what people come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: January 03, 2007 03:40:10 PM »

I think that's a really good idea in theory....

I don't know that velcro would be my first choice- it seems like it would add some unecessary bulk wherever you chose to attach it.

I think it'd be fun to see something that laced onto the actual corset with extra eyelets and ribbon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #602 on: January 04, 2007 03:32:34 PM »

I think it'd be fun to see something that laced onto the actual corset with extra eyelets and ribbon...

maybe like a sleeve thats fits over it  (like a tube) that attaches by threading the laces thru both the cover and core of the corset, but i suppose that would only work for a corset without a busk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zominality
« Reply #603 on: January 06, 2007 08:24:43 PM »

Hello All!
I am ecstatic that I found this chain and feel confident in starting my corset project with all of the great suggestions and explanations that I have found here! After reading all 61 pages (yes, in one sitting!) I still have a two questions:
1. Has anyone worked with leather/ have any tips for it? I plan to re-use a buttery-soft lambskin jacket that I bought ages ago that no longer fits and make it into an overbust corset (via the duct tape method). If there is anything special I should know about corsetry in leather I would sure appreciate it!
2. I want a fair amount of shaping from this corset, but as I will be using it while swordfighting it has to be flexible and resilient as well. Any boning/inner fabric/construction suggestions?

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msvivid
« Reply #604 on: January 10, 2007 06:24:45 AM »

what is the simplest corset pattern?
like SIMPLE
i looked for simplicity 5006
but i wanna know how hard it is before i put 15 dollars into something that will drive me craazy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: January 10, 2007 11:56:42 AM »

I don't find that one particularly simple, actually- if you want SIMPLE and cheap.. there's a corset pattern generator that I SWEAR is easy-peasy. (and free!)

Its:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/custompat/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
msvivid
« Reply #606 on: January 10, 2007 12:25:40 PM »

cheap and easy my favorite words! lol that sounds bad for some reason i cant load that pAge Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msvivid
« Reply #607 on: January 10, 2007 12:27:40 PM »

it works *runs around the room*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #608 on: January 10, 2007 03:49:12 PM »

I found simp 5006 really easy - it walks you thru  theres a detailed thread about it in the pattern review section here somewhere Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms_Tori_Jones
Corsets by Tori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: January 10, 2007 08:18:50 PM »

I stumbled on this site by chance when looking for a very specific image (didn't find it)

I have been making corsets for a few years now.  I read many posts here and don't understand why you would use substandard materials to build something that can take so much time and money (if properly constructed).

I primarily construct underbust corsets due to my bust size.  I have use Laughing Moon patterns and have drafted my own custom patterns. 

By definition the corset is to support and mold the body.  To do this I make corsets that are 2-3 layers of non-stretch sturdy fabric.  I use a proper separating busk (like those used in the late 1800s early 1900s) I use a combination of spring steel and spiral steel boning (a combination of 1/2" and 1/4"), and 2 part grommets.  I never use the eyelet lacing tapes because they contain cheap eyelets that will pull out when put under constant strain. 

I run a corset making yahoo group and belong to a few on live journal and have found many of the professional corset makers are very willing to answer questions.

You can find my creations here:
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/Corsets_by_Tori/

*I was going to post pics but it won't let me since this is my first post here.

Tori
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Tori Jones
*found on LiveJournal as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/

*Yahoo CorsetConstruction as Miss_Tori_Jones
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/corsetconstruction/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designer Nate Berkus On Losing His Partner And Coping With Grief
The Things That Matter - Designer Nate Berkus Gets Personal
How to Turn an Old T-Shirt Into a Sexy Top
Behind the Scenes of the Moby Dick Opera
How to Tie-Dye a T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...