A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 225370 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PunkFlamingo

LiFe Is ShOrT BuT sO aM i

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: December 15, 2006 02:59:58 PM »

Does anyone know which commercial patterns are safe for tightlacing? I've been looking to make one from a professional pattern, and it would be a nice bonus to learn how to make one i could eventually use for waist training. I've been looking at the laughing moon dore/silverado pattern as a good start for learning more about construction, but the faq on their site didn't seem very encouraging about shrinking the waist. It seems that if i want to shrink the waist with that pattern, i'd have to shrink my bust and hips as well, so every time i wanted to take my waist a size down i'd have to adjust the whole garment! So, i was wondering what patterns i could try after that that would be more conducive to it. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allthatglitters
ready-to-wear is for pussies

Will rob bank for embroidery machine

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 18, 2006 05:16:38 AM »

Punk Flamingo: just take the pattern and take off a few milimetres off each piece at the waistline, not the bust or hip.  Wink

just been doing my 3rd corset, always constructing the patterns myself (german pattern market doesn't offer anything above suburbian housewife stuff)

For boning: I discovered some super sturdy medical corset boning. Its plastic, cheap, available per meter and you can cut it with a strong scissor. Its even more rigid than the steel bonings in my Vollers Corset!!!  Cool  Available at your local care store (or where you can order medical corsets) just ask the personnel Wink

BTW, don't forget a "waistband" on the inner side if you want a waist training corset! Use 3-4 cm wide cotton ribbon, it takes a lot of tensile force off the seams!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...why buy it when you can make it yourself?
PunkFlamingo

LiFe Is ShOrT BuT sO aM i

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: December 30, 2006 07:31:26 AM »

Thanks for the reply! (I would've responded sooner, but holidays being what they are... ^^;)

Unfortunately, i couldn't find any medical suppliers in my area. I have one now with plastic "whalebone" boning and it seems fairly sturdy, but i'd still like to try out steel anyway.

The laughing moon site did say to take in the waist at the seams for a smaller waisted corset. So if i lace down to say, 28 inches, then want to go smaller, i'd have to take it apart and adjust the seams again, or make a new corset? I understand tightlacing is a very gradual thing, so until i got down to the 28 inches it would be loose in the bust and hip, no? Is that how it's supposed to be? I just want to make sure, since i've never worn a professionally-made one.

I have read about "waist stays", a ribbon that goes around the inside of the corset, but never into detail about exactly how they're attached. I'll have to try it next time i make one, as i can feel the tension in the one i'm wearing now! I think i'll go with the laughing moon pattern for now.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #593 on: December 30, 2006 10:30:50 PM »

I always try not to put any strain at all on the top layer when I use silk materials. That usually helps a lot too.

How would you avoid the strain on the top layer?  Would you add a tiny bit each side of each panel of the top layer?  ... thanks x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: December 31, 2006 02:44:28 AM »

I always try not to put any strain at all on the top layer when I use silk materials. That usually helps a lot too.

How would you avoid the strain on the top layer?  Would you add a tiny bit each side of each panel of the top layer?  ... thanks x

No, I attach busk and eyelets to the middle-layers (that I usually use thick canvas for) and then I just handstitch the top layer onto the actual corset. The middle layers is where everything is. Boning, busk, eyelets and strain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
aliengrace
« Reply #595 on: December 31, 2006 09:28:28 AM »

Hmm, I see, ta for answering! I don't personally like the idea of handstitching the top layer on, do you mean it's only attached along the top and bottom rather than along every seam of the panels?  Also, I find it hard to imagine how the eyelets would be attached to the middle layer, but not the top layer.  Thanks muchly Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: December 31, 2006 05:15:07 PM »

I use eyelettape. So much easier than doing it by hand. No blisters and they look great.
I sometimes attach the top fabric in the seams aswell, but I've made a couple that only have been attached on the top and bottom and it works perfectly. Looks ever so smooth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

gingembre
« Reply #597 on: January 02, 2007 11:28:48 AM »

This thread is so VERY informative. I will definitely be browsing back some more... One quick thought: has anyone made (or thought of?) making a plain corset with a fancy "cover" (thus allowing for different outside fabrics without needing to add boning to each one?) Good idea? Bad idea? Hopeless and crazy lol?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: January 02, 2007 10:04:02 PM »

Sounds like a great idea to me!  Since I've vowed to make another corset after the one I'm currently working on, maybe I'll give it a try. 
It would be a great way to make the corset more wearable, since you could match the different covers to different outfits.  I say that if you spend that much time and money making something, it should be something you will get a lot of use out of!

Hm, how would you attach the cover to the corset itself?  Snaps maybe?  Hooks and eyes?  Maybe separating zippers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: January 03, 2007 03:38:20 AM »

Velcroe maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Architectural Detail
How to Draw an Architectural Wall Section
How to Draw an Elevation
How to Draw a Floor Plan
Eric Daman Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...