A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 228545 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haptotrope
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2004 11:51:14 AM »

For the record:  there was lots of boning questions early on, but I don't think anyone answered them- so here's what i know.

Plastic boning:  light weight. You can sew through it, and cut and file the edges.   I hate the stuff, personally, because body heat causes it to reform itself, or curl.

Steel boning:  two kinds, Spring, and Spiral.

-Spring steel is like a flat metal bar... usually/sometimes requires cutting and metal filing, and tool dipping (buy at Home Depot/etc).  though many times you can get it cut to size, and finished appropriately. This stuff can kink or otherwise behave wonkily if treated brutally...though some folks swear by this stuff as the strongest, bested boning...  el cheapo version is steel straping - which you can pick up at lumber yards for free-cut, file, and use tool dip, and several pieces per boning channel.  

-Spiral steel is more like flat braided twisted wires.  agains witht he finishing, though they sell "caps" for this type of boning that makes it a bit easier.  This is my favourite type of boning... because it is steel, so it hold up like nobody's business, but because of the woven factor, it moves, or snakes with you, giving you a little bit more freedom of breathe and movement.  This also allows you to make a boning channel that has curves... for some later corset patterns.

Anyway, Your corset looks awesome, and if this is your first project, I'd love to see what you are making next!  (not to mention you are a girl after my one heart -- nothing like a crafty trial by fire to prove something to yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to feel something than nothing....even if it is teeth.
neerajax
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2004 10:17:19 AM »

does anyone have advice on how to make corsets? Anything from the traditional, boned, brocade/fetishy type to nice ordinary corset-inspired tanks and t's. I have tops I want to transform!

Any ideas/hints/suggestions?

Thanks....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2004 11:07:21 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=621;start=0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanut
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2004 11:08:46 AM »

Here are three craftster threads that already exist on corsets that were found using the search feature at the top of the page.  Good luck!

corset?
a try at a corset
how to make a corset!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Semper in faecibus sumum, sole profundum variat.
thixle
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2004 02:53:23 PM »

Sorry my answer was so short before! For some reason, my keyboard crapped out on me, so all I could do was post the link... didn't mean to be snarky  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neerajax
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004 02:24:04 PM »

thixle, you weren't snarky at all! I've been looking at all the posts everyone suggested and they've been fabulous! I'm inspired!

Do you think I could make a corset top out of old, tight t's? Not exactly a corset, but maybe with some boning and lacing it would be one of those corset-inspired tops....

thanks for all the advice, fellow crafsters....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2004 04:20:23 PM »

hmmm...  I'm not sure how this would work, but my initial thought is that you could take two tight t-shirts, put one inside the other (so the inner one would have to be slightly tighter), then put some light boning in by just sewing little channels and around the bottom, then sliding the boning in between the shirts.  then you could either cut up the fron't/back of both shirts or just one and put in lacing.  if you just cut the top t-shirt to put the lacing in, you could leave a gap and be able to see the shirt underneith.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thixle
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2004 09:44:59 PM »

kategirl-- that sounds like a great idea! *eyes the growing stack of old t-shirts* Oooohhh... you could sew the chanels with contrasting thread. Oh, so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swisscheesed
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2004 08:20:16 AM »

Design and make your own custom corset:

http://homepage.mac.com/gowithflo/freeformer/freeformer-Pages/free_body.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2004 04:40:05 PM »

not sure if anyone mentioned this one yet

http://www.softcom.net/users/unicorn/corset.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Walk in Their Shoes: Can One Person Change the World?
A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper
Tim Conway: What Are You Reading?
Christy Haubegger: The Starting Line
Christy Haubegger: A Latina Heroine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...