A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Your Own Corset?  (Read 225448 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , stay , boning , grommet , busk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2004 01:44:14 PM »

I finally have pics of the corset!!! Finally... But, no pics of my buddy wearing it... YET. Keep in mind as you view, that this is for a barrell-chested man, not a woman.

Here is the front (closest to the actual color):

And the back:

Close-up of the stitching, the metal bones are to either side of the thick black machine "satin" stitch:

Close-up of the hook 'n eye front closure (as seen from the inside):

So... what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evlcuddlz
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2004 08:20:51 AM »

Wow, that looks SO GOOD!!  I'm going to be making a corset as part of my wedding dress and I'm so intimidated by the thought.  I've already had my friends duct tape me, but I have yet to cut the duct tape to make the pattern.  How did you decide where to put the seams?  I like how you have the black satin stitching detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2004 10:41:05 AM »

go thixle! that looks fantastic!

is the satin stitch functional or decorative?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
thixle
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2004 02:18:16 PM »

The satin stitch is functional and decorative. Lets see if I can explain: I stitched the front to the lining with a stright stitch. Then, because the stitching was wavy, I went back through all the layers with the satin stitch- both re-inforcing the seam and making it pretty. Then, I straight stitched through all the layers to make a channel for the boning.

evlcuddlz-- Remember, this is my first sewing machine project, so don't be intimidated at all.
As for placement of the seams: With this one, it was fairly easy, because John is all stright lines, I just angled them in to the front bottom to give a slimmer look. It doesn't work that way for women, unless you want a "victorian" straight corset... But they flatten the boobs too much for my liking.

Right now, I'm working on mine, as well as teaching two other gals in my Fibers class how to make corsets. So, three different body types and I think I have a formula for boning/seam placement.

First mark the front center and back center with a straight vertical line. Use electrical tape to make the line straight and still contoured to the body (does that make sense?). Second mark a straight vertical line on each side of the body (under the armpit, splitting the body in half-- same amount of corset on either side when you look directly at it in profile). So, now you have four different panels in the corset, about the same width.  -these are marked with the thicker lines-

Next you'll mark the back. If you want your corset to be open a bit in the back when you lace up, mark another vertical line just to the side of the center line. Then divide the back into two or three sections (I only drew it with three sections). Just make the sections about the same width at the waist.

Finally mark the front. For a flatter bust area (and easier sew), mark one line that goes right over your nipple, tapering to the front bottom. Use electrical tape to get a good straight line. The other front section will start at the "armpit" side of your breast, tapering toward the front bottom, to give a little lift and shape. It should go over your hip bone.
For a "rounder" bust, mark two lines through the breast, on either side of the nipple. Then mark a line to the "armpit" side, going over the hip bone. When you cut out the duct tape, the breast piece (where your nipple would be) will still be round. Cut that open to where it will lay flat-- making a gusset that you will sew together.

Here is what I mean about the breast gusset:
With the duct tape pattern, from the inside:

And the outside:

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004 03:13:46 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2004 03:56:28 PM »

Wow!  I'm so impressed.  I've wanted to make a corset for years ... but thought it would be too hard!  It looks awesome!  Boy you did take on a hard project!

So wait a minute ...
this is for a barrell-chested man, not a woman

?? Hmmmmm ... verrrryyyy interesting ... ??  What does this mean ?? Smiley

Also, these guys were at Bizarre Bazaar West this year.  Amazing corsets!!  If only I had a few spare hundred!

http://exquisiterestraint.com/FRAMES/template.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2004 09:50:18 PM »

So wait a minute ...
this is for a barrell-chested man, not a woman

?? Hmmmmm ... verrrryyyy interesting ... ??  What does this mean ?? Smiley

Yes, the finished one is a MAN corset. And he is barrell-chested, which basically means he has a broad chest and no waist  Grin So, this corset isn't as "curvey" as one for a woman would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
organic_sistah

crafting is a helluva drug!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2004 11:09:21 PM »

handiwork.... U got it  going on grrrrl  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This post was paid for by the following.
Keep your  Hands off Assata ShAkur biatches! We  don't need  your blood money.
"if the shoe fits, shut the fuck up & walk it off!"
PerfectEquation
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2004 10:22:12 AM »

have you found any patterns for the kind that don't go over your boobs?
they kind of stop right unerneath.
i'm making a top for a ensemble i made up for my senior ball...

oh and about how much do all of the materials cost? roughly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004 12:11:38 PM »

IndiexCat--
You can use the same duct-tape method to make an underbust corset pattern. Just chop the top wherever you want it to go! It would actually be easier to make than the overbust because it would be less "curvey."

The company I buy materials from is www.grandcorsetsupp ly.com  I bought the lacing and boning there, along with little vanity tips for the lacing. All together, for the man-corset (heavy, 1/2 inch wide bones- little more expensive) I spent under $20. The feamle corset I'm working on will be around $10 for the boning, lacing, and tips. Busks are the expensive part- $10-$20 each, depending on length. I just used Hook n Eye tape, which works just as well and can be found at any fabric store for a few cents per inch. The fabric price is up to you. The man-corset fabric was about $6- 1 yard of black cotton, 1 yard of fancy print. For mine, I dug through a bargain bin and found a full yard of blue satin for only 50 cents! Two part eyelets are inexpensive (especially when a fabric store has a 1/2 off notions sale) about $3 for the laces plus extra. So... all total, the man-corset was about $30, but mine is about $15. Not really too bad if you know how to look.

Whew... I'm long-winded today! Haven't been around in over a week! Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retrokitten
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2004 11:40:27 PM »

Another great resourse for corset supplies is http://www.farthingales.on.ca/.  And keep in mind that the prices are in Canadian, so if you're in the U.S. you'll get an extra discount.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Good Crochet Patterns
Crochet for Beginners: How to Fasten Off
Crochet for Beginners: How to Crochet Booties
How to Crochet Amigurumi
How to Crochet an Afghan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...