A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finally finished my Knitting Olympics event!  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stringy
« on: April 14, 2006 02:06:49 AM »

So, about a month and a bit too late, I finally finished my Knitting Olympics event: my first pair of socks. I used the free Two At Once, Toe Up sock pattern from KnitPicks, with Opal Uni sock yarn in a Kermit-looking green, and two 2.75mm circulars.

I don't know if I'd recommend the pattern: the diagram for how to start the Afterthought Heel was missing (only two little arrows pointing to white space!), and the instructions for the heel decreases were confusing. I ended up making up my own heel based on the descriptions of an Afterthought Heel with "star" decreases that I was able to find online.

But they're very comfy! And there's plenty of yarn left, probably enough to make another pair.

More pics are here.

So: are there any other late-finishing Olympians out there? Don't let me be the only embarrassed one, post your finished stuff here too!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011 03:49:29 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 07:05:58 AM »

You shouldn't be embarrased! At least you finished... and I am sure you have some late finishing company! The socks look great by the way.  So often hand knit socks are decorative, lacey or cabled and I cannot even begin to imagine how they might feel in shoes (my guess is not too comfy) but yours look very comfy. you should be proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
MmmKnits
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 11:26:56 AM »

Hey, stringy, great job on the socks! Especially considering how unhelpful that pattern sounds. Thanks for the warning--I'd meant to start my first socks soon using that same guide, but I think now I might look for another one.

I, too, finished my Knitting Olympics project just recently--so late that I didn't even mention I'd started it for the Knitting Olympics when I posted it on Craftster!  Embarrassed You can read about it here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=89444.0

I'm glad to keep you company in your lateness. Sometimes life just gets in the way, you know?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006 04:38:16 AM »

Thanks, AWynkoop! The socks really are very comfy - I was worried I'd be able to feel every lumpy stitch, but they're fine. I do want to try some of the cabley, lacey patterns, but I think I'll stick to patterns on the cuff for a while.

MmmKnits, I saw your Samus a few days ago and loved it! I'd marked the pattern as a someday/maybe sorta thing, but your changes make me think I should bump it a little higher up the list. Life does get in the way sometimes - I loved the idea of the Olympics, but not enough to martyr myself over it! But if there's another one again I'd like to give it another shot.

The pattern was great up until the heel - I was nervous about doing 2 socks on 2 circs, but the instructions for that part were really good. But Google was my best friend when I got to those heels! I should probably write up some instructions so that there's another set out there, I could only find two or three references online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006 07:17:10 AM »

Higher, faster, stronger AND persistent! Good job, stringy.

BTW, there is a site for all of us late Olympians. It's called the Turtle Olympics KAL.
It's at http://femiknitmafia.blogspot.com/2006/02/turtles-kal.html
(I am Janey from Nova Scotia in the list of turtles.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Socalulu99
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 09:07:40 AM »

I love that shade of green! Really pretty, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photo Exhibition by Torkil Gudnason
DSLR Camera Basics
Making a Laptop Holder for a Photography Tripod
Sanyo Xacti DMX-CS1 HD Dual Camera Review
How to Use a Home Lighting Kit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...