A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help altering dress!  (Read 493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orangegurll
« on: April 13, 2006 09:23:16 PM »

So I bought this dress for easter and it came in the mail today. I absolutely love it and it pretty much fits everywhere, except for the chest. Now this wouldn't normally be a problem, I would take up the sides a bit and all would be well. But this dress has some gathers in the chest area that lay all weird like and make me have pointy boobs. Sorry for the TMI, but I seriously need some help here. Anyone have a clue what I could do to solve this? I wasn't aware of the gathers when I bought it. I really want to fix this by Sunday any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Here is the link to the store it has a flash picture that you can zoom in on the spot in question.. http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&M=616540167&SKU=516870-005-2610-0000

Here are some pics I took

The outside and inside are the same gathers and then sewed together with wrong sides facing. This is what I am worried about getting in the way of trying to fix it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 05:42:43 AM »

Can you take a picture of yourself wearing it?  I think that may help me see what's going on.

On a side note - this is a very cute dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennasaurus
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 08:05:19 AM »

I would sew in the sides like you normally do then move the front straps over towards the gathers more.  I think that would work!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006 11:37:45 AM »

I can't really tell what's going on, but is removing the gathers an option at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retro rabbit34
Vintage Vixen

If i were blonde that would have been a moment

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006 08:55:58 PM »

wow i love the fabric and the cut of the dress!! i hope you find a way to fix it

~h~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RAWR! its prehistoric in here! there must be some dinos in the atmosphere
orangegurll
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 08:51:48 AM »

Thanks for the comments. Sorry my pics weren't all that helpful. Here are some better ones.

it looks ok from the front

But from the side, weird pokey boobs.
The way the dress is sewn together makes it virtually impossible to do anything to the gathered seams in the front without taking apart the whole top of the thing. I'm sure taking the sides up a bit will help some, but I am just too flat to fill out the chest. Oh the joys of being two sizes smaller on top than I am on bottom. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenaknits?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006 09:13:12 AM »

You could also try putting a dart in the middle of the bust, where it dips in or do a little vertical rouching gather.  That may help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangegurll
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006 11:01:46 AM »

thanks athenaknits, that might just work. I took up the sides earlier this morning and it seemed to help for the most part. I'll try that next if it continues to drive me crazy.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangegurll
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006 08:27:14 PM »

Thank you all so much for the ideas! I took in the sides and ironed the heck out of the gathers to make them lay flat, I still need to move the straps in a little, but it fits way better now, here is the finished product.

sorry the pic is a little blurry , but you get the idea Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Kissing Cards
How to Make LED-Lit Action Figures
How to Make Flowers Out of Ribbon
How to Use Lyrics in a Scrapbook
How to Scrapbook an Autograph
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...