A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glass bead making  (Read 2052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lavendar420
« on: July 08, 2004 03:30:46 PM »

I'm spending time in a glass studio making beads, and am looking for some ideas of cool things to try. I've done the prerequisite google search to no avail (mostly found sites that sell bead making stuff or beads). Any suggestions of good sites to scope beginner+/intermediate bead making techniques?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
Kjhymn
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004 10:19:41 PM »

You might want to try http://beadwork.about.com/. The have a section on lampwork and handmade beads that might be helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004 12:13:58 AM »

It's not a website, but glass bead makers at my work swear by the book Passing the Flame - A Beadmaker's Guide to Detail and Design by Corina Tettinger.  The book is pretty expensive ($75, yikes!)... but it has great step by step photographic tutorials for all types of techniques and designs.  The instructions are easy to follow.  Maybe you can convince the studio to buy it for all to use?  We also use the (far more affordable) books by Cindy Jenkins, Making Glass Beads and Beads of Glass
(All titles can be found at Amazon.com)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
beadfairy

love meltin glass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 10:46:00 AM »

Hi I am a glass beadmaker and I like to go to www.wetcanvas.com Just go to the glass art section and you will find all kinds of beadmakers, tips, pics,etc...
Tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenmparrott
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005 10:15:10 PM »

Are there any good kits for starting to make glass beads?  I would like to start but I really like to find kits that have all the essentials to get started.

Jennifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hanau110603
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005 08:04:19 PM »

Are there any good kits for starting to make glass beads? I would like to start but I really like to find kits that have all the essentials to get started.

Jennifer

I also would be interested in this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anna D.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005 03:23:13 PM »

I want to do this too....I am thinking of getting one of these kits:

http://www.artglass1.com/kitslamp.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

f1focus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006 08:04:52 AM »

i've been glass bead making for about a year. I have the hot head torch and it's pretty good.  Good to learn on.  I haven't heard anything good about the Fireworks torch which I have seen in some of the craft stores around here.

The kits in the post above look pretty good.  They have the torch head I use. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a blog about nothing---www.retrogrademotion.com
a shop with things!!!!---retrogrademotion.etsy.com
janakisses

I live in my own little world, but you can visit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006 08:08:19 AM »

I found one at Hobby Lobby that has everything except the gas for the torch....I have never used it though....after I bought the kit on impulse, I got to thinking "is anything to do with fire really somthing I want to try to teach myself?"....I decided no!  Instead I found a bead shop that will give me a one on one class for $60.00 and if I take the class from him, I can come in and use his oxygen torch and kiln for 7.00 an hour whenever I want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavendar420
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006 01:39:11 PM »

wow, i stumbled on this post from like 2 years ago - how time flys! now i teach into torch classes at a glass studio in portland. lol! anyways, i think you can teach yourself from a book as long as you pay really good attention to the safety stuff. ventilation is probably going to be an issue if you make beads inside, unless you have a fan sucking all the nasty fumes outside. if you've ever played with a torch - welding, silver smithing, ect. its not much different. if you've never played with a torch - do yourself a favor & take a class. the flame is hotter than you'd expect & can be scary to get used to, esp. if you're unsure about what you're doing. if you live in or near a decent sized city, chances are either your local stained glass shop or community college offers lampworking classes. if you live in or near portland, oregon check out the studio  i teach at, its groovy!

www.aquilaartglass.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint N Gauge Buildings
How to Paint N Gauge Model Railways
How to Paint Plastic Military Models
How to Clean Model Paint Brushes
How to Paint Warhammer 40k Figurines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...