A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat-proof Curtains  (Read 13974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chrisilstrup
« on: April 13, 2006 02:12:28 PM »

I have a problem.

My cat likes to climb up my bedroom curtains about 2, 4, and 6 in the morning. I have a squirt bottle by the bedside to spray her down and she responds well to that. But I'm thinking the real solution would be to remove the temptation.

Do you know of or can you think of any cat-proof curtains or other window covering. Vertical blinds are all I can think of and they're soooo ugly and not the style of my home.  Any other ideas?

Chris
www.ilstrup.com
chrisilstrup.etsy.com
craftclique.blogspot.com
Hinesburg, VT
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006 02:47:29 PM by chrisilstrup » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamamoonie
herbal warfare!

ooooh...bright. need coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 06:41:46 AM »

mini-blinds.  she'll try to climb, but they'll bow under her weight and dump her off.  they're cheap to replace if she breaks them, and after the first few times they dump her off, she'll be cured! worked for me anyhow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...feed your Head!" --The Doormouse

My personal swap status is officially "on hold till after the big move!"

NH to KS 2007!
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 11:22:00 AM »

That might work ... on the other hand, our cats learned that they can bang on the blinds to wake us up.  Metal + wood window frame = 3 AM Kitty Symphony.

Our solution was multiple-approach:

1) I made black-out shades of quilting cotton.  (Relatively cheap, so even if they do get claw marks, it's not the end of the world.)

2) Sleep with squirt bottles by the bed.

3) Wait for them to outgrow it.

Although I'm not sure how much three has happened, since the Other Human now gets up when the Cats ask him to.

Good luck on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006 11:26:31 AM »

Good luck with this one.  I haven't got any ideas, but I do have 2 fat kitties and a ton of teeny little holes in my curtains that I slaved over making just before said pusses arrived  Roll Eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wwrich
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006 11:52:32 AM »

I hate to be the evil one to suggest it, but declawing will stop that behavior too.  If you have strong objections to that, you might also try the "softpaws" (http://www.softpaws.com/) things.  They are little rubber things that you glue on their front claws.  They fall off by themselves after some amount of time.  I have never used them, nor has anyone I know, but I have heard lots of great things about them.

You are right, kitties kind of settle down after a while.  My 18.5 year old cat just died Cry.  The first couple of years were the troublesome ones.  We kept a squirt gun next to the bed for a couple of years.  When we moved, we found it behind the dresser (kitty resentment anyone?)  The funny part was that we really hadn't missed it.

I also learned in the rental house, the one with the rental curtains, that you can take a lot of those "snags" out of the sheer curtains.  Just take your fingers and do a couple of quick snap/pulls with the right tension on the fabric right around the snag.  Stretching the fabric along the bias also helps to straighten the threads.  It takes a while to get the hang of it, and be careful if the curtains are really old as you might do more damage than you repair. Not much you can do if the threads are broken...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
peachsorbet
I see no reason why the gunfire treason should ever be forgot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006 11:56:13 AM »

My cat completely trashed mini-blinds. The squirt bottle or a loud clap is best, but I find that they will climb the curtains if you're not around or think you're not looking.

The thing abot the Other Human is really important too. I think the reason that I'm not getting anywhere with my kitties is that they trained the Other Human too well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrisilstrup
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006 12:32:47 PM »

Kinkyknit: Your profile pic made me think of this picture I snapped of my cat (aka the curtain killer). How cute!

http://static.flickr.com/36/109394958_1de55b1f10_m.jpg

Good luck with this one.  I haven't got any ideas, but I do have 2 fat kitties and a ton of teeny little holes in my curtains that I slaved over making just before said pusses arrived  Roll Eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006 12:53:27 PM »

Mini blinds = kitty xylophone concert in our bedroom.

You've got to submit those pictures to:

http://catsinsinks.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006 01:17:56 PM »

Make curtains out of fabric their claws can't get a hold of. It'll usually make a lot of fun noise when they try though, and the curtains themselves will make sounds if they move (that nice "wrrrrritch" sort of sound that some fabrics make when scraping against itself)
  Now if your cats claws are sharp enough to get a hold of that kind of fabric, you need to be cutting your cats claws for the cat's sake! Outdoor cats usually have sharp claws, but they still get worn down enough as not to bother them. They usually have to have extremely overgrown claws to get a hold of this kind of fabric, or just be odd cats (like my moms cat who can climb vertical rock using her claws)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006 02:39:04 PM »

Kinkyknit: Your profile pic made me think of this picture I snapped of my cat (aka the curtain killer). How cute!

Awwww! they're so cute they can get away with anything, can't they?

ps - I just remembered something we learnt that makes our cats leave the room...you know the "hang up" tone on the phone?? We were watching TV once and a phone on TV made that noise and the cats disappeared out of the room in a flash. Now if they do anything and we need to make them stop quickly, we make the noise ourselves. Bit bizarre, I know, but it works a treat and doesn't hurt them or freak them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Products of 2014
VF NEWS: Tommy Hilfiger Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
VF NEWS: 3.1 Phillip Lim Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
VF NEWS: Anna Sui Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Smokey Eye Tutorial For Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...