A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stain MDF/Veneer Entertainment Center from Target?  (Read 690 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2006 12:40:08 PM »

Hey all -- I have a question.

Quite a few years ago I bought an entertainment center from Target.  You know,the MDF kind that has the veneer or maybe it's just the paper stuff that looks like veneer covering it.  Comes in a box, but it together yourself.

Anyways, I'm changing the look of my livingroom (all new furniture and rug) and the cherry color entertainment center isn't going to work very well.  I'm wondering if I can just apply some dark mahogany type stain to it to make it darker.  Or maybe some sort of tint or wax.

What do you think?  Anyone else ever do something like that?  Would the surface bubble up since it's wet?  Do I need to sand it first?  Or should I think of a colorwash painting technique with a dry brush instead?

I'm okay if it doesn't look like real mahogany.  I'm okay if it doesn't go on completely even -- I'm all about stuff that doesn't look like it's supposed to.  I just can't afford a new entertainment center with the couch, chair and rug I just bought.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006 12:52:42 PM »

I had a coffee table and end tables from Target like what you are describing.  When they got old and battered after about 10 years and close to that many moves I sanded them  just enough to remove most of the varnish/finish but not enough so the MDF was exposed. Then I painted them with glossy black paint.  They turned out EXTREMELY well.  I was SHOCKED! You could see the faux wood grain and everything! I got another 3 years out of my stuff!

I'm not sure if stain would work since stain typically works with the natural grain of the wood and I'm not quite sure how much real wood/non-MDF is used in ye old Target furniture.  I would think a mahogany colored paint would work. Maybe use thinned paint, a kind of wash?? That way the would grain would show through and you would get the color you wanted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006 12:59:50 PM »

If it's a real wood veneer, it should be stainable. The thickness of the veneer would determine how much you're able to sand off the existing finish, although I wouldn't think you'd be able to do much.

If it's paper or plastic, your better bet is going to be paint. And, while a lot of work, you could remove the veneer, sand down the remaining mdf, prime and paint that as well.

Do you have a photo? Someone might be able to better suggest a color or finish if we could see the place you're putting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
tatobuggy7
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006 01:36:36 PM »

This may or may not work....I saw a project on tv I think, where someone wanted to stain their front door. It was vaneer or something like it so they were saying stain itself wouldn't work. So they took wood putty and smeared a layer of that on the whole door then sanded it a little and then stained it. It really looked good when they were finished but that might have just been the magic of tv Smiley anyway it may be an interesting experiment to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Black Chocolate Truffles With Cointreau
How to Make Peppermint Cheesecake Ice Cream
How To Flute A Pie Crust
How to Make a Date and Toffee Pudding With Ultimate Toffee Sauce
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...