A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY homemade magnetic poetry  (Read 18111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003 09:24:59 AM »

The AOL tin...the perfect storage place!  Great idea!  I think I'll add a (big) magnet to the back of the tin too so I can put it near the words I'm using.  This is a great idea.   Love it!

I might have to scan in some paper dolls (or covers from clothing patterns) and make a some funky magnetic paper dolls to say the words....I can see it now: a stylish Vogue model saying "Eat the *** leftovers."  Just a thought.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flute_starr
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003 09:58:51 AM »

another idea from a friend:
cut out individual panels from those soap-opera-esque comics (like rex morgan, m.d.) and make them into magnets, and then you can mix up the panels to make wonderfully weird storylines. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004 06:56:34 AM »

Hey, don't tell anyone this....my day job is at the MagPo company.

The original set was made by a guy wanting to write song lyrics, so he went through magazines and newspapers and found interesting words, phrases, etc, and glued them on misprinted magnets. He originally had them on a cookie sheet until a roommate wanted to bake, so they made the jump to the fridge.  He took 100 sets to a craft fair, sold them out in three hours and voila! 10 years later, he's still inventing cool creative products!  It's an inspiriation to be sure-to think that a little idea like that could end up making you millions some day (well, after a lot of hard work!)

Obviously, it's in my best interest to encourage everyone to buy from our website, but there's also a link where you can play online with virtual words on the board, and go from there.

www.magneticpoetry. com

And of course, as you all know, Magnetic Poetry is now a copyrighted phrase, so if you're planning on selling these, call them something else, ok?  Cause one of my jobs is to report copyright infringment that I find...... but we can only get really mad if someone's trying to profit from their product using the phrase Magnetic Poetry.

It's so weird when my 'worlds' collide......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.co m/shop.html
sheeshoo
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004 07:58:38 AM »

One of my co-workers and I were talking about not wanting magnets around the computers at work. We don't have a lot of metal surface anyway.

So I started thinking, what surface do I have a lot of? Fabric cube walls. I haven't gotten off my butt to actually make it, but maybe one of you will like the idea...

Print out a bunch of your words - a little bigger font size since it's going to be in your cube. Laminate (so the paper will last) and stick just the hook side of velcro (hook and loop tape) to the back. Then instead of magnetic poetry you have velcro poetry for your cube at work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004 08:26:01 AM »

Ooh like the felt boards we had in school as kids! cool!

Have you guys seen the t-shirts with velcro (oh whoops another copyright Wink ) strips and letters that you can use to make your own wordy-t shirts and change when you feel like it?  very cute!

Here @ the office, we have big sheets of metal screwed to our cube walls for our own magnet sets we each put up. It's a lot better than a fridge or a filing cabinet because it's right there......we had them custom-cut from large sheets by the friendly people at our local home supply store.  

And once again, I don't want anyone to think we're some big bad sue-happy company, but like I said please don't use Magnetic Poetry's name if you do want to sell a magnet set. You're all creative enough to think up a better name anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.co m/shop.html
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004 04:45:43 PM »

I've always liked this idea that I saw on living it up with ali and jack. they take cheap cookie sheets and tack them to the walls and then used them as magnetic message boards. I think it would be good for displaying magnetic poetry ... or magnetic words I suppose if you're making you own.

http://www.aliandjack.com/10.2v2.asp?SegmentID=75
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004 04:46:50 PM by ragadyanne400 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

quirkquirk21

I spank llamas.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004 06:08:08 PM »

(Sorry that this is very similar to your guys' posts, but here it goes...) My friend's birthday was recently and she is OBSESSED with poetry of any sort. So I found a large frame in my basement, painted it a tone of her room (and to be fancy, I antiqued the darker second tone on top... yea... I felt professional!) and framed a piece of sheet metal I picked up at Menards! Tres chic! Now she can keep her magnetic poetry in her room (hidden from snooping eyes) and whatever she writes is a framed masterpiece!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004 06:11:43 PM by quirkquirk21 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sometimes you just gotta let a tittie pop out..." -Myself
theburninator001

trogdooooorr!!! the burninator!!!hehe...me...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004 11:49:11 AM »

coolness! putting on my to-do list....need to buy stuff...now Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something cool to say...something cool to say...
jana511
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2004 04:44:33 PM »

i too love the idea of magnetic poetry..... i have used my xyron machine with the magnet cartridge for some great results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004 10:18:46 AM »

I've done this too! It is very fun! So much better than ordering custom Poetry Magnets!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
X-Ray Art Captures Inner Beauty
Muscle & Fitness Photo Shoot With Ali Sonoma
How Concepts and Storyboards Help to Plan a Photo Shoot
Artist Uses Chickpeas for Artwork
The Morrison Hotel Photo Gallery Opens in Los Angeles
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...