A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resident Advisor (RA) Job  (Read 2545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2006 05:36:03 PM »

Hi Fellow Craftsters-

I just found out I will be a RA next year at my school, I am very excited. But I need some help from the crafters of the world. First, we need to make a postery type thing of where we are at on campus (library, class, sleeping, etc) and something to mark which one we are at. For example, my RA this year made a solar system thing and an astronaut marked where she is at. So, I need some idease for what I can make, my major is elementary education if that helps at all. Also, we need to make door decorations so I need some ideas for very creative door decorations (they have to have the residents name on it). Any help is really appreciated. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006 06:19:29 PM »

Well, you could make a poster with desks that are pockets, and put a cut out picture of you in the "desk" pocket to indicate location.

Door decor I don't know Sad

Being an RA is a blast! I did that myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
SexyMuse
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006 06:26:32 PM »

I'm not sure what you could do for a poster. My RA just blew up a map of campus and marked key locations with pushpins and yarn pointing to descriptions. Our door tags were really cute tho. For first semester she cut out puzzle pieces from cork board and used puffy paint to put on the names, and this semester she made mini chalk boards out of black construction paper. Something a different RA did that I thought was really cute was make little treasure maps for the doors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aodhfionn

signed, sealed, delivered

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006 02:23:13 PM »

My RA took old calender pictures, put random paint daubs on them, and then put a smaller piece of constuction paper with our names written nicely on it. It was very spiffy.
Then in the bathroom she put up some language declentions in the same style. It was really helpful. You could find out what languages the freshmen at your school take. Or you could print up some interesting articles - like, life in college, or about polar bears or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006 05:37:25 PM »

Wow, thanks everyone, these are some great ideas. I really like the idea with the desks and then moving myself around, its definetely very interesting. Thanks so much! Keep the ideas coming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
GeekMagnet
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006 09:46:42 PM »

Hi, I am also a residential staff member.  this is the In/Out board i have on my door.  I is a cookie sheet with magnets that say in, out and sleeping.  it has Lucy from the Peanuts cartoons and says "the doctors is  " on the Physciatric booth.

I have made several others for other people for this one i did individual magnets for the places instead of a list of places with one magnet, it was a better use of space.  I made an Elvis on for a friend, and a football one for my boyfriend.

and I took a picture of the door decs left up on my door

you should choose a theme and then base all your decorations on that.  it is alot easier.

this year our building theme was ecosystems(very strange) and each floor was a different ecosystem; sky, desert,ocean,rainforest, forest, artic

for next year our theme is board games, which is going to be alot of fun with floor themes of candyland, guess who, chess, monopoly, dating game, life.

For door decs, some of the ones i have done/seen:
tiki torches- brown paper for the stake part and then a two piece red and orange flame
cd fish- cd with paper fins and a googly eye
baseball cards mounted on construction paper
cocnuts and bananas
coffee mugs shapes cut out of contruction paper with marshmallows with the letters of everyone's names
sailboats
any cartoon character- ninja turtles, simpsons, mario,south park etc.
crayons- easy and looks great and colorfull
race cars
playing cards
paper dolls
origami

if you come up with a theme, i would be glad to come up with ideas based on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006 08:08:11 AM »

Since you are Elementary Ed, you could do a Harry Potter Weasley clock for your door.  Are you familiar at all with what I'm talking about? 

The Weasley's have a clock and it has 7 hands - each has a pic of one family member (you'd only need one pic for you).  Then instead of numbers, it has destinations on it.  Like: work, school, mortal peril, commuting, etc.  Very cute!

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006 07:07:52 PM »

Wow! What great ideas. I love all of your door decs and yes I know about the Weasley clock. Thanks again. Keep 'em coming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aytchjay
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006 02:15:27 PM »

oh, oh, oh, do the Harry Potter clock idea! That is brilliant. I just popped in here to tell you a couple of the things I've seen in dorms here. One semester we all got Elvis playing cards with our names written on them. They were really simple, but cute. Another semester, my sister's RA made actual 3-d flip-flops out of craft foam and wrote each girls' name on one and tacked those up on the doors. That was really cute too, but maybe too spring-y for the fall semester. Please show off your craftiness when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Anime Bodies
How to Illustrate Anime Mouths
How to Design Anime Animals
How to Illustrate Anime Clothes
How to Design Tall Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...