A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CD Necklace  (Read 137622 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , cd , upcycle , recycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Inna
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004 05:12:41 PM »

I am just trying the crap AOL ones now. And I forgot about them and burnt them.
Thet turn out clear, but they still look cool.
The blue necklace was from a CD-R that I screwed up on friday.
I am looking for different types to see what colors they come in.
The bead pins should be available in any craft store. they are for making bead dangles I think.

My Mother in Law bought me the dremel tool a few years ago so I don't know how much it is - its a hand held drill, polisher, burnisher - its really cool.
I didn't do anything to the back but i am thinking of glueing them together so that they look the same on both sides.

Happy Crafting
Inna
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006 07:40:50 PM by Inna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
youhurrywonder
you are the music

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004 07:28:18 PM »

yay. i made a necklace. with only one cd-r "stone" or whatever we are calling them. it was easy easy easy. you are a genius for thinking of baking them.  the cd-r's blueish color is amazing.  i put some sort of waterbased varnish on the back of mine. i dont think it really needed it though.  i just did it to be on the safe side.

i showed my husband the picture of your necklace, and he said that it looks like one that would be for sale for like an outrageous price on one of those avant-guard jewelry websites. i didnt tell him that it was made of cd's..  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you arm your face with the cruellest eyes...
piratestooge

Avast ye bilge rats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004 08:15:47 PM »

i thought it would be a nice idea to share with you that some x-box video gane cd's are gold on the back, that might look cool with black ones or something. Very awesome necklaces. And good job on braving the spitting microwave, you're a warrior. Watch out though, my friend once blew the door off her micrwave trying something similar, but i think she just left it in waaay too long
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

"Dance like no one is watching..."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004 10:30:19 PM »

I need to try this for some earrings..maybe some chain...ohhh, the ideas!

Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004 10:49:56 PM »

it looks like some sort of precious stone.  i love the idea of making adornments out of bits of recycled technology.  kind of cyberpunkish.  i think that i want to try making some sort of hair dealies like that.
the bit about the microwave reminds me of an old story.  when my brother's friend was in college, his dorm had an ancient microwave at the end of the hall, and all the guys that lived on that floor would gather together all the stupid aol disks they could find every month or two, and ceremonially burn them in it.  the creepy thing was that, for some reason, the latch that kept the microwave door closed while it was on was broken, and once a cd blew up and blew the door open with it.  no one knew what to do, because the microwave was set to keep going for, like, five more minutes, and no one wanted to get close enough to turn it off, so they all just kind of went downstairs for a while.  (not that i'm sure that offered any real protection from radiation, but whatever..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
shanola2789

Trampobics, it's the new craze :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004 03:28:28 PM »

Ok so earlier today I tried it, and the CD part in the microwave went ok.  But when I went to cut it it started cracking and lots of little pieces went everywhere.  The CD was also really hard (not sure if that's supposed to happen) and I'm afraid I'll ruin the scissors... any help/advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be uber creative, the world will love you.
Inna
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004 11:03:57 AM »

I use a really old pair of cheap aluminum scissors, because I didn't want to destroy any of my good ones. I tried to bend a cd once and it shattered into a million tiny razor edged pieces, nasty. Sometimes when I cut it breaks, but i just go with the flow. I am not doing anything different, but i am taking my time, and the scissors are fairly thick bladed, with a serated edge.

I dunno, but have fun trying.

Inna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004 01:57:00 PM »

I've been using tin snips (the thick scissors that you use to cut sheet metal). I've not had any problems with many breaking at all and I've been doing it for a few months now. The ones that do break are the few recordable dvds I used. I'm not sure if it's the type I had, but they had two layers which would break apart, one of those layers then breaking up a bit as well. Most odd!

But deffinatly I've found cutting slowly is one of the keys. If you're careful you can cut out fancy shapes, I got some pretty red shiney plasticy hearts from a red coloured cd a while ago! When I melted it it went all bubbly inside, very nice effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanola2789

Trampobics, it's the new craze :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004 02:16:49 PM »

OK thanks, I'll try some different scissors.  But while I was having my scissor dilemma I just broke the Cd, it was kind of a nice effect because all the pieces were different.

I also decided to be a little different.  I got a metal cookie cutter heart and placed it on some foil which was on a cookie sheet. Then I got little bits and pieces of broken cd and placed them in,  they were layered so you could see different edges and what not.  Then I placed them in the oven for a while.  When I took them out the little pieces and melted themselves together in the shape of a heart, but still held their own original edges.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but it looks totally wicked. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be uber creative, the world will love you.
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004 02:27:05 PM »

wow that does make sense and sounds really effective!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Gorgeous With Charlotte Tilbury
VF COLLECTIONS: Angel Sanchez Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
VF COLLECTIONS: Jenny Packham Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Makeup Hacks to Look Like Your Favorite Celebs
How to Clean Your Makeup Brush Without Making a Mess
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...