A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CD Necklace  (Read 137493 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , cd , upcycle , recycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChildhoodLover
« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2007 04:28:21 PM »

wow this sounds insane never thought of doing that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marlinchen
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2007 08:34:35 AM »

Since I know a lot of people (myself included) were worried about the possible dangers of aluminum toxicity/harmful materials from coming into contact with these melted CDs, I emailed Maxell and Memorex to ask them about it. 

Quote from: Maxell
There are not any hazardous materials in our CD-R.

The MSDS (safety) sheets for our CD-R media can be found on our website at the following page:
http://www.maxell-usa.com/index.aspx?id=5;38;131;0

However, as with anything burning, hot, or melted, I would assume there might be health concerns with regard to burning oneself when trying to handle such an item.

Quote from: Memorex
There is no danger of aluminum absorbtion or toxicity when handling melted CD-R discs.

Since these are 2 of the biggest CD-R manufacturers out there, I think we'll be pretty safe. I would still be careful of the fumes and use a seperate microwave or toaster oven outside like some people are doing, because fumes from anything are never good.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Behind the Swan - my Etsy shop. jewelry coming soon!
Inna
« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2007 11:21:11 AM »

Woo Hoo!!!
Thanxs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
belbastafine
« Reply #383 on: October 13, 2007 12:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Memorex
There is no danger of aluminum absorbtion or toxicity when handling melted CD-R discs.

Since these are 2 of the biggest CD-R manufacturers out there, I think we'll be pretty safe. I would still be careful of the fumes and use a seperate microwave or toaster oven outside like some people are doing, because fumes from anything are never good.

[/quote]

First off, I had a "doh!" moment- how smart to contact the companies!!  Thanks for sharing the information.

You're right about the fumes though - I followed the link and read this at the bottom:

"Burning product may create a black and sooty smoke of uncertain hazard and composition. Wear appropriate respiratory
protection
for toxic and irritating gases and aerosols generated by thermal decomposition"

While we're not "burning" the cds, well, not intentionally anyway, we are thermally changing the cds.  I've devoted an old toaster oven to bead and cd melting and do it outside like you mentioned!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2007 09:31:41 AM »

Hey everybody, i have been to all of the pages, this is an awesome idea, i love it. But i am really scared to ruin my oven(my dad will totally kill me), also my kitchen is pretty closed, it not a good thing to do it in a closed kitchen isn't it? I was woundering can i use a sort of heater or something, something that i can use out side???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
sparkette
« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2007 10:55:15 PM »

All the answers are here!  I've just read 39 pages in three plus hours!  This is awesome!  The pictures you've posted are beautiful. 

So let me paraphrase from memory what I've learned from ALL 39 pages of YOUR Experiences:

Microwave for only a few seconds (1-7), STOP when the sparking starts.  C D laid on a paper plate or directly on the rotating glass.  OR...

Place C D down in a microwavable bowl full of water and microwave for approx. two (2) minutes...this seems to minimize the fumes and creates a unique patterning of its own.

THE MICROWAVE GIVES THE C D THE CRACKLY LOOK TO THE SURFACE.  IT DOES NOT CHANGE ITS COLOR.  YOU GET THE COLOR OF THE C D YOU STARTED WITH.

Use: Heavy duty scissors, tin snips, glass cutter (to score and snap), a burning tool (can't remember the name), to shape the microwaved C D into smaller pieces. (Wear Safety glasses and gloves).  Someone suggested placing the microwaved C Ds down in very hot water before trying to cut or shape them, they said it made them more pliable.

Place shaped C D pieces onto foil, old pie tins, (or use your imagination), and place into an electric oven, a toaster oven, a countertop oven, at 400 degrees for, I heard anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.  (The longer in the oven the more failures I heard about.)  I also heard 250 degrees for about 10 minutes once.

There was also talk of using a Flame source such as a torch, a bunson burner, a BBQ grill, or campfire with a metal grate over it, upon which to place the pans of pieces.

THE OVEN MELTS THE PLASTIC IN THE C D AND CREATES BUBBLES AND SOMETIMES CURLS EDGES.  IT SEEMS THE LONGER YOU LEAVE THEM IN THE OVEN THE MORE MISSHAPEN THEY ARE REPORTED TO BE AND THE MORE THEY SMELLED BAD.  SO WATCHING THEM IS IMPERATIVE!  TAKE THEM OUT WHEN THEY LOOK LIKE WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO LOOK LIKE.

Holes can be accomplished by Dremel tool, battery or electric drill with small drill bit (Caution should be used here. Wear gloves and safety glasses and place the piece being drilled so that it cannot spin and cut fingers), OR I also heard that by heating a large needle with a candleflame, that it pierces the pieces like butter (again, gloves and caution).  Other heated tools would do the same. 

OR go to a bead shop/jewelry making shop and pick up the jewelry findings that just glue onto the top of the piece and has a ready made place to thread a chain or string.

For those worried about the dangers, over just the last few pages, all of those concerns were approached in a very professional way.  The manufacturers were asked and their answers are there.

Also the use of the Microwave and Oven were discussed.  Suggestions are:  get a Microwave at a second hand store or garage sale just for this purpose, and find a toaster- or countertop oven, and use it outside for proper ventilation of the fumes.

This is a well done subject.  There is still much interest.  Maybe if some of the "ooh and aah" posts were cleaned out, more people would be encouraged to read all the pages instead of asking the same questions over and over.  Just a thot and suggestion to the moderator. 

Beautiful work ladies!  Please continue to post your new experiences and ideas. I am obviously three years late to the craze, but have benefitted by all the experience.  Thank you.

ps.  So has anyone tried them in the opposite order?  The oven first and then the microwave?  OR the microwave AGAIN? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #386 on: November 05, 2007 08:44:08 AM »

Excellent summary, Sparkette!!

I believe that, although it has been discussed, no one from craftster has actually burned up their microwaves (they've just HEARD about it happening to other unspecified people). That being said, the sparks flying in the microwave are enough to freak anyone out, and caution is probably a wise choice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
autommatic
« Reply #387 on: November 12, 2007 07:43:33 AM »

so, i too jumped on this bandwagon, and let me tell you- THIS WAS SOOOO MUCH FUN TO DO! the stink was theonly non-fun thing about it. haha.

anyway, here's what ive done with my pieces so far.... i hadn't put the pendant on the leather cord at this point, but you can just imagine it there, if you like.

the earrings were made from two pieces that actually separated when i was trying to cut my shapes, the back pieces of each was kind of boring, but there was this lovely silver stuff on the purple side that i just couldnt part with.. so i threw them into the oven with the rest of the pieces and they came out all melty and wonderful.. and tada! earrings were born. Tongue

the picture doesnt do these pieces any justice at all- theyre so much more shiny and wonderful IRL. theres a charm on top of the cd piece that you can't see, and the bead at the bottom of the chain is actually purple, not black. i'll try and get a better pic, or at least an action shot up in here sometime soon!

thanks for looking!
♥xo♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theperfectemo
« Reply #388 on: November 15, 2009 08:12:31 PM »

Very very cool! Did you have to glaze these or anything to seal in the color? Can the colors flake off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2009 08:43:53 AM »

Yup!
I think it depends on the CD. I had to seal the back of some and not others. Some Cd's split where the silver layer is.
I have some red gaming Cd's i have yet to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Lightsabers - Motion 3
How to Create a Glow Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Bloody Blobs - Motion 3
How to Create a Mac Boot Animation - Motion 3
How to Use Rotoscoping - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...