A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silk Tie Easter Eggs  (Read 6056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the bazile
« on: April 12, 2006 08:03:26 AM »

I saw http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=stv1840017&contentGroup=MARTHA&layout=martha
this morning and wondered if anyone has made them, and more importantly, if they are safe to eat!  It says that they are (you just have to cook them longer), but I saw a tutorial for this on a different site, and it said they were absolutely not edible! They look super cool, so I think I might just have to make them anyway.

If anyone else decides to try this, be sure to post your results! 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006 09:03:29 AM by the bazile » THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006 12:50:43 PM »

Is there a picture?  I'm assuming the silk would transfer the print onto the egg. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the bazile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006 02:35:17 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't find any pictures online and there weren't any posted on the MS website.  But that's basically what happens. The design comes right off on the eggs. I love the idea of recycling old ties for this project! Also, they said you could use anything silk - hankerchiefs, etc. It works best when the fabric is 100% silk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006 09:05:45 PM »

I'm sure if you did cook them long enough they would be fine to eat.  Also I think as long as the dye doesn't seep into the egg inside you should be fine too.  Can you eat those ones that have been dyed with regular dye?  If so, I would think it's the same principle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006 09:16:27 PM »

I saw this on Martha today too. The eggs turned out really cool.  Martha was so excited, she could hardly listen to the end of the directions because she had to open the little cloth pouches to see the egg inside.

The guest said you can reuse the little silk patches up to 5 times and still get a transfer.
I'm not to sure about eating them.  It's probaly okay.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006 11:11:07 PM »

I just read the directions again - am I reading it correctly when it says simmer for 20 minutes - longer if you plan on eating it!!!!  Man, when I boil eggs, I boil them for 4 minutes for a soft centre and about 7 minutes for hard boiled!!!!!  Will there or will there not be any egg left after 20 minutes.  Has anyone tried simmering for this long???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006 07:48:45 AM »

That seems kind of long to me.  I think I do 15 mins for hard boiled.  Would you really boil the dye chemical away?  It seems to me that the dye is either toxic or it isn't and no amount of cooking will remedy that.  I wouldn't worry about the dye anyway, I doubt much would seep all the way through the shell and into the part you'lll eat.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nikkidear
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006 12:48:31 PM »

I just read the directions again - am I reading it correctly when it says simmer for 20 minutes - longer if you plan on eating it!!!!  Man, when I boil eggs, I boil them for 4 minutes for a soft centre and about 7 minutes for hard boiled!!!!!  Will there or will there not be any egg left after 20 minutes.  Has anyone tried simmering for this long???

I usually set eggs to boil and forget about them for 30-45 minutes, and they always come out fine. 20min is no big deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessaska
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006 01:44:31 PM »

egg shells are porous.

thats why you dont store them with things like onions or mushrooms unless you want them to smell/taste slightly like those things. Based on that, I would toss out all the speculations based on the 'I dont think it could get into the part that you eat' ideas. Whether or not any of this stuff is toxic or bad for you is beyond me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bfkirsch
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006 01:06:30 PM »

Not sure yet if I will try to eat it, but here's the result I had making these eggs.

See more at http://gallery.borninazoo.com/viewimage.asp?gallery=49
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Half Double Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Double Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Easy Ideas for Gifts
Crochet for Beginners: Crocheting in the Round
Crochet for Beginners: Chain Crochet Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...