A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,902
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew Fast, Sew Easy tapered skirt  (Read 4192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarasonoma
« on: July 07, 2004 10:45:06 PM »

I made my first skirt yesterday, and even though it didn't come out perfectly I'm really proud of myself .  I started sewing a couple weeks ago and now I'm addicted Smiley  

I used the skirt pattern from the book Sew Fast, Sew Easy by Elissa K. Meyrich.  It's an elastic waist, tapered skirt with a slit in the back.  I think it was a little too difficult to do as my first skirt....It rides up when I walk so it's pretty much unwearable.  I'm planning on trying to sew another one and making the hips wider and making it not as tapered.  Other than that does anyone have any suggestions of how I could make it fit and not ride up so much when I walk?  I'm afraid it's just my hips and I can't wear this cut of skirt :/

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tri_sara/boards/1stskirt.jpg

And here's the back, with a walking slit:

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tri_sara/boards/1stskirt2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010 02:27:08 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaramouche
Gin soaked bar-room queen in Memphis

I gotta trunk fulla amps...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004 10:53:52 PM »

Wow, that's awesome for your first skirt! My first pair of shorts came out w/ one pocket in the front and one in the back Embarrassed  Hehe I'm like you, I have become a sewing addict- anyways, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If she were president, her name would be Baberaham Lincoln!
shes crafty
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004 01:18:22 AM »

Nonsense!  It's a pencil skirt that plenty of women with hips can wear!!  Remember 40's and 50's styles of skirts?  Pencil thin was not the cool thing to be. Btw, you look pretty tiny anyway!
Did you get your fabric at Joanns?  I just bought some looks just like it, love the polka dots!
Do you think you could alter it a little and put a zipper up the back instead of doing the elastic?  Some darts would also help.  Since you said the skirt was unwearable, use it as practice.  Put the skirt on inside out and pin two darts in the back evenly spaced from the sides and center and do the same in the front.  Then take off and sew them in place.  Your book should have directions on how to do it. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004 01:20:22 AM by she's crafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004 03:53:02 AM »

I think that your hips are not a problem , slit in the back may be not long enough. Besides that it is a lovely skirt I'm a big fan of that stile Grin. Good job.
 Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftchallenged132
Sarah

Look, its me!!! tehehehehe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004 02:25:53 PM »

love it!  but as being an owner of a pair of totally unwanted hips  grrrrrrrrr.... i personally couldn't pull of a skirt like that, A-line all the way for me!

very cute tho!
sarah
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004 04:39:14 PM by craftchallenged132 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*SHINE* Make em wonder what you got!!!
sarasonoma
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004 03:22:14 PM »

she's crafty- I got the fabric at a local (San Jose) fabric store called Fabrics R Us.  Yeah, the darts and zipper sound like a good idea.  I think they will be difficult but I might try them because I really want this skirt to work!

olenka- I think I will make the slit a little longer, thanks for the suggestion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004 10:58:29 PM »

i agree with the zipper and darts suggestion. pencil skirts just don't fit quite right with elastic waists. it also looks like you need to add a Teeny bit of ease to the widest point of the skirt. like, 1/2" or less on each side. i know that's going to be a bit impossible with your current seam allowance, but for future reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rick Warren Reveals Who He Identifies Most
Susan Cheever Talks About Louisa May Alcott
Joseph A. Califano Jr. Talks About How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid
Eric Puchner Talks About Model Home
Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...