A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: things to craft  (Read 1834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olivian
i<3 love

nothing is real... nothing to get hung about

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2006 04:31:09 PM »

ok so i never really paid much attention at weddings until i started planning my own. i don't even know what i am supposed to have for the wedding. i know

save the date cards
invites
rsvp cards
decorations for reception
programs

what else do weddings have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006 04:33:24 PM »

center pieces, flower arrangements, ring bearer pillow, flower girl basket, bouquets, bride/bridal party jewelry..... uh thats all I got! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006 04:38:12 PM »

Don't go over board on making/ buying too much. Most people forgot to take my favors. I didn't send save the date cards. I just sent out a pretty power point presentation through e mail. Invites and RSVP cards are nice if you make them. You can have them printed, or you can print them yourself. It costs just about as much. If you use fake flowers for decorations then you can take them home and make your new place pretty or craft with them. If you make your own paper, then get real flowers. Unless you are going uber formal, you don't need programs. Relax, and remember: NO amount of planning will make a perfect wedding. Something will always be just a little off. It's not cynical, just realistic. Don't be surprised when something bad happens, just roll with the punches and have fun! BTW- Congratulations!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Scream-a-little
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006 04:43:52 PM »

one of the things that i made for my wedding many moons ago.. was a train ring..for carrying my train at the reception...does that make sense?   it was the inside ring of an embroidery ring decorated with ribbon & pearlized beads. very easy.. i work at michael's & right now we are getting a lot of brides in.. i highly suggest a wedding planner book.. it will give you quite a few ideas of what you will need or want to make.. congrats.. Scream-a-little
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006 05:05:56 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily buy a wedding planning book. Any and all of the bridal magazines out there have pull-out checklists of things that need to be done and when. I do like the book Simple Stunning Weddings, it was given to me for Christmas and it's a great jumping off point. I also prefer Martha Stewart Weddings to any of the other bridal mags, it gives the most do-it-yourself ideas I've seen out there. I do advise buying a three-ring binder and lots of plastic sleeves to go in it, that way you can keep everything you collect all neat and organized. Great for gathering ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
libby2595
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006 07:05:51 AM »

here are my two cents...

take a deep breath, relax, close your eyes, and think of what would make YOU and your FH happy on your wedding day. then use that "list" to decide what you will and will not do/buy.

on a wedding message board that i sometimes visit, i asked, "what was a wast of diy time?" most responded that bubbles, disposable cameras, and favors were a wast of time and/or money.

with that said... if you are planning to make things yourself, you need to be super-organized. use whatever system works for you.

CONGRATS AND ENJOY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samsmartypants
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006 07:35:16 AM »

Martha Stewart's wedding magazines are the best. Don't waste your money on the others (You know... those huge 600 page things) unless you flip through it and there's something you neeeed to have. They are full of ads, and that's pretty much it. Start just cutting out everything you like and make a little book. That's what I've been doing.

There are so many things you can make, and decor doesn't have to be crazy expensive. When are you getting married? Do you have a theme?

Favors can also be really inexpensive too. Depending on the size of your wedding, you could do anything from ornaments, to plants, seeds, homemade gifts like cookies (include the recipe on a cute card) or jam or preserves.

Ok, whew. Too many ideas in my head...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107374.0

"And you know that she's half crazy, but that's why you want to be there." ~Leonard Cohen~

www.myspace.com/samsmart
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006 08:35:27 AM »

Actually, I had disposable cameras and they were a hit. Don't just let them take any old picture though 'cause people tend to just take pictures of the people around them. I had three categories that they could win first place in a photo contest. They were best wedding picture, best reception picture and most original composition. The end result was fantastic pictures without having to pay a photographer. I just saved the pictures onto a disc, sorted through them and made a  powerpoint presentation of the pictures and sent those out instead of making copies. It was cheap, easy and everybody got pictures instead of just a few people. It's amazing what a little incentive can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Scream-a-little
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006 02:31:39 PM »

i love the idea of the photo contest!! glad it was a success!! i am going to pass that idea along to some ppl.. wtg!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006 07:20:24 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily buy a wedding planning book. Any and all of the bridal magazines out there have pull-out checklists of things that need to be done and when. I do like the book Simple Stunning Weddings, it was given to me for Christmas and it's a great jumping off point. I also prefer Martha Stewart Weddings to any of the other bridal mags, it gives the most do-it-yourself ideas I've seen out there. I do advise buying a three-ring binder and lots of plastic sleeves to go in it, that way you can keep everything you collect all neat and organized. Great for gathering ideas.

excellent advice.  i'm 10 weeks from my wedding and have yet to buy a wedding book or magazine.  sure it's been tempting to pick up a magazine and flip through it... but truth be told, none of those magazines encourage DIY or truly inexpensive alternatives. the bridal market is a racket and i refuse to go into debt for a celebration.  www.indiebride.com has been a great resource for me.  it's been encouraging to find other women who have atypical ideas about the meaning of marriage, feminism, tradition, etc.  take a look at their kvetch board, it rocks.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Summer Fashion Trends From Celebrity Stylist Electra
Baby Blankets Ideas
Pre-Walker Baby Shoes
3 Ideas of Tops For Girls
Understanding Baby Clothing Sizes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...