A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: record birdfeeders/plant holders  (Read 4718 times)
Tags for this thread: planter , bird_feeder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
francie pants
« on: April 11, 2006 01:22:11 PM »

bored with too many record bowls lying around the house... i started poking holes in them and here's what i came up with...

here i epoxied some little pots filled with chives in em.  works well cuz the drain holes line up perfect.  i just water the top one and it then drains into the other

and this one i made for a swap. i threaded buttons with wire onto the jute.

thinkin i might take one and see if the record shop owner would wanna sell em in his shop....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010 12:13:24 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006 02:50:09 AM »

Great ideas!  I am always making record bowls, and I've wanted to get a birdfeeder.  I may also use the planter idea when I get more plants.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006 08:27:54 AM »

Hey that is so darn cool! I've been wanting to try making record pots for a while, but am held back by common sense saying 'what the heck would you DO with them? You have no room in your teeny tiny house for any more 'projects'!" I hate common sense  Cheesy

I LOVE the hanging planters, so excuse me now while I run off to the charity shops and raid their LPs - he he

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006 07:49:28 PM »

What a groovy idea. I'll have to go buy some second hand albums. Hubbie would kill me, then divorace me if I did this to his vinal.

francie pants
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006 10:56:31 PM »

i lucked out and found a more than generous record store owner.  he's got a ton of overly scratched records... or stuff that will never ever ever be bought.  think" the Twins soundtrack."  so he set aside a big stack for me to just have.  i keep meaning to drop a plant hanger off to thank him.  i did notice that with the outside ones i glued baby plant pots into, they warped more when the sun beat on them and the weight of the pot in the middle slowly pulled the bowl a bit deaper.  but i think that with soil in the whole thing giving even pressure, it won't bend like that.  i have another 2 tiered one with plants in it that is looking awesome.

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006 08:58:54 PM »

Too Cool! I love your ideas. Thanx for sharing. I just came into a HUGE box of free records and after the purses and clocks, I had no idea what else to make. Now, I do. Thank you for sharing. d Cool

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

Personal swap anyone?
jenna rose
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 10:56:22 PM »

love it!  i have a bunch of record bowls I've been wondering what to do with.

plus, my grandfather's birthday is coming up and I've been wanting to do something that has to do with birds.  perfect!

i've bookmarked this 'cuz i think it's so cool Smiley

what size wire did you use to hold these? and the string, too?  do you think it'll hold up well with weather or birds picking at it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006 11:00:28 PM by jenna rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged
francie pants
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006 05:44:31 PM »

for most of them, i either used a medium hemp twine or a run of the mill 'jute' twine from the craft store.  i can't remember which wire i used.  it was pretty sturdy stuff but didn't need to be so strong really.  the records are so light and the seeds aren't very heavy... and we know how light most birds are.  the plant hanger ones are just hemp braided or jute and they hold a good amount of weight.  just make sure you put your holes in a spot thats far enough down so it won't snap or break. 
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006 07:19:16 AM »

Oh very very cool and thank you...  Shocked I've been wanting to make one of those hanging wire basket thingies for the kitchen with my record bowls, and I've not been sure how to do it. This has totally given me an idea though.  Grin Cool
francie pants
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006 04:48:01 PM »

i bet you could use some semi sturdy gold chain necklaces from the thrift store if you wanted something a little less shabby chic for indoors. 
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Cook a Whole Roasted Chili Rub Chicken
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...