A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first Noni bag!  (Read 2179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006 12:35:28 PM »

rachillsk8 - did you still use two strands together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
rachillsk8
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006 05:38:35 PM »

Sorry, I was out of town for the past week without internet...so to answer all your questions...

--The bag and flower patterns are separate.  The patterns were expensive ($8 for the bag and $5 for the flowers where I got them at, I bought 2 bags and 2 embellishments, and then spent $4 to have them all laminated at Copymax since they were too big for plastic page protectors and I didn't want them getting ruined), but I'll make a ton as gifts so whatever.

--I didn't use 2 strands together for the bag this time, because I used Lamb's Pride Worsted instead.  It's a tad thicker than Cascade 220.   I did use 2 together for the larger flower (which is the medium size in the flower pattern).

--The handles are plastic, you can find them at just about any craft store for about $5 or less (Michael's actually had them on clearance a while back so I bought tons of bag handles for various purse projects).

--The handles are attached by tabs that I sewed in between the actual bag and the lining.  I thought about knitting little felted patches to attach them with instead, or maybe using just plain black fabric, but I liked the way the lining fabric looked peeking out like that.

--I added snaps on the sides of the bag to give it that "pinched" look, which you can see in some of the photos.  I thought the bag sat better with them.  I also added the magnetic closure...the pattern didn't really say to add either of these, all it said in terms of lining was to line it with a nice fabric.  I also made a removable cardboard bottom that's covered in matching lining fabric, just to give it some more structure.  The lining fabric was also reinforced a little with some iron-on backing, but I probably could have done without that since the felted bag is nice and thick already.

I'm going back and forth as to whether I want to give this to my mom or to my aunt, but I think it'll go to my aunt.  My mom thinks she's god's gift to sewing, and all she'll do is criticize the little imperfections I was too lazy to fix this first time (the lining doesn't fit perfectly on one side, I machine-sewed the lining to the bag and and the stitching isn't the straightest since it was so hard getting it through my machine, not stretching the knit part too much, and not jamming the machine up).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006 10:58:49 PM by rachillsk8 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

okia419
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006 10:45:51 PM »

Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't look at me with that tone of voice."

"Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots. (pause) Shut up!"
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006 08:01:56 AM »

So cute!  The flowers really make the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006 10:16:13 AM »

I love red and black together, and those red flowers on the black bag are awesome. Better than stripes. The checked white and black plaid liner adds a lot of class to it. That's a bag to be proud of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
subliminalrabbit
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006 01:34:22 PM »

ooooh!  i love it!  great colors too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little city knitter in a big, big world.

http://www.subliminalrabbit.com
ravelry id: subliminalrabbit
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jill Keto Wishes She Had This Talent
Todd Bridges Talks About Killing Willis
Tom Rob Smith Talks About Child 44 Part 2
Ashley Bryan Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Tori Spelling Talks About Her Book
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...