A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Samus from Knitty  (Read 3479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MmmKnits
« on: April 11, 2006 11:20:46 AM »

Just in time for spring, I have finally finished a heavy wool sweater!  Grin

Well, almost finished that is--I still need to add a zipper or some hooks and eyes, but I wasn't going to let that stand in the way of wearing it today. After knitting one sweater, twelve scarves, and five hats as Christmas gifts for other people, I've waited a long damn time for a sweater of my very own. I have to get in at least a couple of wearings before the summer heat wave begins!

The pattern is Samus from the Fall 2005 issue of Knitty. Thanks to unexpected interruptions from out-of-town guests and overwhelming work deadlines, it took me about two months to make. I used the recommended size 8 needles and the recommended yarn, Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in the color Orchid Thistle. At first I wanted something more in the periwinkle range, but my LYS didn't have it in stock the night I was ready to cast on, so I went for the pink instead. I admit to suffering a slight attack of buyer's remorse the first time I saw it the yarn in broad daylight--it was a bit brighter than I'd expected--but I'm glad I bit the bullet and soldiered onward anyway. I've gotten used to it over the last two months, and now think it's exactly what my wardrobe needed. The yarn itself is a little scratchy on my forearms, but otherwise fine. It also sheds a bit at first, but I've used it before and expected it.

I followed the pattern almost exactly. The only modification I made was to add some waist shaping--just simple paired decreases and increases at the sides (ssk/k2tog every four rows a total of three times, followed six rows later by paired m1 increases in the same pattern). I'm glad I did this--although they looked a bit wonky at first (as did the seaming), they looked fine after blocking. And it kept the sweater from being too boxy, which was my only complaint with the original.

I love the celtic braid cable along the hem and cuffs. It's already gotten plenty of compliments. The pattern writer mentioned that it was from Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge, which I just might pick up. Other knitters will probably be able to pick out the spot where I made a mistake, but since I mirrored that mistake at the opposite end of the cabled band, I managed to make it look like I did it on purpose. Now it's a "design feature."  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006 11:34:25 AM by MmmKnits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarducky
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006 11:49:35 AM »

I really like it. I've been wanting to make that sweater, but like you said, the original was too boxy. I'll have to try and modify it like you did.
But your's looks really good.
Maybe if I get started soon, I'll have it in time for the fall ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap sometime. pm me ^_^
steph0827
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006 11:55:58 AM »

I loved this sweater when I first saw it, but also wasn't sure about the fit.  Yours is beautiful!!  I really like the color, and your seaming looks perfect. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingskopos
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006 12:22:23 PM »

That looks so good! The shaping's flattering. I love the way it's overall very simple, which makes the beautiful celtic braid stand out. In the picture, it looks like you already put in hooks and eyes for the fastening  Wink and it fits the sweater, even though a zipper might be more convenient in use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006 12:38:03 PM »

gorgeous! I also really liked the pattern when it came out, but I much prefer the shaping you did to change the "boxy" design of the original.  And the colour looks great. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
rebeccajane
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006 01:22:08 PM »

Fantastic job! Love the color, love the shaping. I'm about half way done with my Samus. Now I kind of wish I'd seen your results so that I could copy your shaping!

By the way, how tedious was the I-cord edging? I'm really not looking forward to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MmmKnits
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006 02:13:11 PM »

Tedious enough. You might knit faster or slower than me, but I'd estimate it probably took me about eight or nine hours. I just put on season 4 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and went into knitting auto-pilot.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMuch4Kids

My Reality Check bounced.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006 03:59:07 PM »

What a beautiful sweater.

I love the pattern and the color is yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006 06:16:55 PM »

Lovely! Such a wonderful colour, and I always love reading people's input and thoughts and changes on patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebeccajane
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006 07:09:53 PM »

Tedious enough. You might knit faster or slower than me, but I'd estimate it probably took me about eight or nine hours. I just put on season 4 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and went into knitting auto-pilot.  Smiley

MmmmKnits, I think we may be long-lost twins. I've also been watching a lot of Buffy while working on Samus... season 4 in fact. By the time I get to the edging, though, I'll probably be on to season 5.

Hooray for Joss Whedon shows + knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Avoiding a Fashion Emergency (And Other Lessons I’ve Learned)
Diane Von Furstenberg on Young Love
The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl
Writers on Their Unshakable Love for New York
Discover the Power of Your Heart
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...