A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bikini Boobs Need Support!  (Read 1374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robotsrock
« on: April 11, 2006 07:39:43 AM »

Hi everyone. Loooong time since I've posted in here, so I hope you don't mind if this has been asked previously and I've missed it.

I'm thinking of making a nice bikini or swimming cossie for my summer hols. I have a 34F bust (which might actually be a 32G, GAH) and will probably be making it from that generic lycra-ish swimming-costume type material. Have you any idea what I could line the bust section with to make it more supportive / sturdy? It would ideally be something waterproof / compatible, so that I can actually do summer holiday type activities without my boobs popping out all over the place and scaring small children.

Thanks everyone in advance (I know that someone must have some ideas!  Grin )

luvs, suz x Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybaby
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006 07:54:46 AM »

Em, well my boobs are actually 32AA!!! so no ideas im afraid!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonEyze
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006 08:00:07 AM »

Have you looked into maybe a scuba top? I don't know much about them myself, but I know they are skin tight, so once you get it over, it'll STAY PUT!

We are in similar boats, I'm 40DD (and I think more) and they do not make swim tops for larger busts. It irritates me to shop in the Wide or Maturnatiy section for a shirt just to fit over the girls!  But I've done it, and had my Mom adjust the waist in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
John Lennon
white trash hero
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006 08:02:03 AM »

err halter works better than other style bikinis ive found...but i have that champion tee!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006 08:07:51 AM »

Other than to  make  sure the  Top  is  big enough in cup size to  hold  every thing  in  and then  lots of prayers  I can't  imagine  how  you   could  make  it  happen  sorry........  maybe a  think line  of that  stuff they  use to  hold the  strap  of  shoes that  tie  up the  ankle   all teh  way  around the  cup  edge...(its  like a  rubbery  elastic)......  you  know they  stuff they  use  at the  top  edge  of  thigh high  panty hose......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
nycteris
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006 10:51:12 AM »

When I look at the super ugly 'special' swimwear  (32h Sad ) it's usually underwired, with two layers of swimsuit lycra.  Could you try and get a bra pattern from somewhere and make it from swimsuit fabric, or read up on lingerie construction techniques?  Not much help, sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006 01:24:01 PM »

first, you're going to need cups, you can get swim cups to sew in at almost every fabric store.

second, you need to put them in so they give the kind of support you need.  go RIGHT NOW to the book store and buy the current issue of threads magazine, there is a fantastic article in it about various types of bust support for all kinds of sizes and garment designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
robotsrock
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006 01:57:48 PM »

Thanks guys. This is for me to make, not buy. There's plenty of larger sized (and yes, probably supportive!) bikini tops out there, but I don't fancy looking like I'm wearing someone's gran's bikini on the beach. Plus I just fancied making my own. I'm going for a bit of a '40s retro feel.

Unfortunately I've looked into the swim cups idea, rostitchery , but my local stores (there's only 3) only stock up to a rather small looking D cup. I'm sure you'll agree that there's nothing worse than that 4-boob overhang effect when ladies wear too-small lingerie!

I've brainstormed and thought about that "supermesh" material, though heck knows what its proper name is, or where on earth I'd find it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006 02:54:35 PM »

you want powernet, and you can get it from anne at needle nook fabrics in wichita kansas.  look them up, give her a call, she will set you up with everything you need AND she'll tell you how to make your bust support work.  please tell her i said hi.  (i don't have any financial affiliation with anne or needle nook, and i don't get anything by referring you, but anne has been a great help to me with bras over the years and i know she will take care of you).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
qbmaya

Runs with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006 10:50:40 PM »

I'm a 36DD and for this reason, I hadn't been to a beach or swimming pool since I was about 14.  However, last summer, my mother begged me to go out to Jones Beach.  I gave in under the condition that I got a bathing suit that was sexy but wouldn't give the adolescent boys something to laugh about later.  I used an old poly-satin bra as the base and essentially just stretched swimsuit material over it.  It actually came out perfect after nipping and tucking here and there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the deadliest woman in the world [with knitting needles].
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Anti-Aging Benefits Of Face Massage
Look Gorgeous This Thanksgiving With Cranberry Lips
Need to Know: The Perfect Long Sleeve T, Benetint, and the Snakeskin Trend
DIY Slimming Body Wrap
Blotting Sheets For Oily Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...