A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Punk Rock Backpack-In Tunisian Crochet  (Read 3626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeekMagnet
« on: April 10, 2006 11:13:50 PM »

So, this weekend was mission stash bust so I can rationalize buying more yarn.  So I made a Crochet version of SnB Punk Rock Backpack.
I wanted to put a ninja turtle on it but i couldn't get the chart small enough to it fit on the back so I settled for the Rocket.
I used yellow arylic yarn ( I don't know how much)
Used Tunisian Simple Stitch
Size J afghan hook
I took me about 5 hours to complete the pieces, and I crochet slow.

Please excuse my messy room

close up of rocket!

I rushed stitching the lining to the bag and it looks crappy so i need to re-do it.

I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.  It's not really something I'll use.  But it is super cool.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 10:48:30 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
Shinykatie

Professional dork

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006 04:33:10 AM »

Excellent! I like it a lot. I can see I'm going to have to learn how to do this tunisian business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dork Adore http://www.dorkadore.com | Lovely things for geeks: Crafts, Geekery, Gadgets, Homewares, Kids' stuff, TV, Film

* My craft blog: http://katielee.co.uk
www.twitter.com/shinykatie
Ezri_B
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006 07:18:55 AM »

Great job, your color changing is so clean looking. Mine is never that nice looking. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa the Diva
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006 10:31:07 AM »

That looks great!  I wish I could Tunisian crochet.  I have not mastered that form yet, or even tried to tackle it. 

The backpack is a great idea.  I love the rocket and the colours.  Even the stitching for the lining looks great.

Cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006 08:13:28 AM »

It looks like a fun project.  Just hang it up someplace in your room and use it to store something.  That way whenever  you see it, you'll smile with satisfaction knowing you made it yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apg
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006 12:18:49 AM »

wowie......i love it....i love yellow...

Which are the stitches used around (I see an edge) ? And are there 2 divisions inside?

Great and cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jizzymcfrizzy
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006 01:26:41 PM »

That looks great!  I wish I could Tunisian crochet.  I have not mastered that form yet, or even tried to tackle it. 

The backpack is a great idea.  I love the rocket and the colours.  Even the stitching for the lining looks great.

Cheers

Go for it!  It's not difficult to learn.  Honest!  I love Tunisian Crochet.  I find it easier and quicker than knitting and regular crochet.  IMO, nothing beats Tunisian Crochet for making bags, cushion covers and any other items that need to be sturdy and hardwearing.  It produces quite a stiff and dense fabric.  The only disadvantage I can think of is that circles and other round-edge shapes are trickier to produce than when using regular crochet, but that's not to say it's impossible.

Another plus with TC is that you can cross stitch over it.

Jizzy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jizzymcfrizzy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006 01:28:59 PM »

Spooky!  I was thinking of doing the exact same thing using the original monkey motif.  You've proved to me that it can be done in TC and look just as good as the knitted version.  Great job.  Thanks for sharing.  Hopefully, it'll inspire and encourage others to give TC a try.

Jizzy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeekMagnet
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006 11:01:29 AM »

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
I have been using.  I think i look really dorky walking around in it but I don't really care because It's so cool.  i have gotten alot of compliments on it and even a request for one. so thats pretty sweet.
and yes, everyone should learn tunisian crochet.  it really is super easy and just like learning any other kind of crochet stitch. 
And if you could do it in regular single crochet  no problem.  I would still look good.
let me know if anyone wants details on doing color changes or a pattern of sorts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
GeekMagnet
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006 12:36:41 PM »

Which are the stitches used around (I see an edge) ? And are there 2 divisions inside?

I just slip stitched the pieces together with right sides toghether then turned right side out.  The lining is made just like the outside a upper front, lower front, back and gusset and sewn in at the zipper opening
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Project Cain Book Trailer
Geoffrey Girard Explains Cain’s Blood
Christopher Rice: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: What Are You Reading?
Architect’s Suburban Home Haven For City Artists
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...