A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More good patterns?  (Read 3692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ravenfire

Pink is my angry colour.

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2006 09:17:20 AM »

Hey. I learned how to crochet a few weeks ago from the Happy Hooker book (awesome book, btw), and I'm almost finished by first real project (FrouFrou). There are more patterns in this book I'm going to try, but I can't seem to find many good patterns elsewhere. By "good", I mean something I would actually wear. I've found lots of boxy sweaters, freaky-looking shirts, and a whole mass of those creepy "We Heart America" afghans, but not much outside the SNB book that a 23 year old punkette-turned-grad student teacher would be seen dead in. I knit as well, and I seem to find more patterns that don't suck in knitting, but I really like working crochet and want to give some good patterns a try. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers.

PS: Will be posting FrouFrou soon, as soon as I finish my final papers and the collar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Necia
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006 09:29:32 AM »

There's a book called Cool Crochet by Melissa Leapman that's pretty decent.

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragoknit
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006 04:48:17 PM »

Not sure if this fits your style, but all the Rowan mags have some crochet patterns... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skysong

Check out Josh's new Christmas album NOL!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006 06:16:53 PM »

Hooked on Crochet by Candi Jensen has some good ones, as does Hip to Crochet ( I can't remember the author right now). Also, the online magazine Crochet Me has some great patterns and articles about crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
 Paradoxes rule us all the time"               From my boyfriend's poem, "Lost Hope"
beans
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006 06:33:39 PM »

I think it's a lot more difficult to find great crochet patterns, you really have to sift through a lot. The website www.crochetpatterncentral.com is a good place to start the search, it has links to a ton of free patterns (that you definitely need to sort through). Sometimes you need to be inventive and picture something in a different colour, or on a different body type, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotdog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006 09:01:13 PM »

I just bought a book called Fabulous & Flirty Crochet by Katherine Lee (her website is sweaterbabe.com).  It's got several cool patterns....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want something sparkly and fun??  Click here!!   www.polkadotdog.etsy.com

Looking for some original and unusual art?  Here's some!  www.artbystu.etsy.com
Rachelofthree
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006 04:48:21 AM »

Here's another new one out:

http://www.tahkistacycharles.com/Patterns/patterns_th.asp?CatID=16&New=TRUE&pg=1

I LOVE the Muse top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glo-girl

My job is getting in the way of my crafting.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006 06:14:26 AM »

I have a couple of suggestions:  One is So Simple Crochet by Melody Griffiths.  I like several...not all...of the patterns.  Plus, they seem to be going cheap on ebay right now.

The other suggestion is a magazine:  Interweave Crochet.  The current issue is on the newstands, but I would look at the back issues as well.  Here is the link:

http://www.interweavecrochet.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006 08:24:50 AM »

I was going to mention So Simple Crochet too.  Some of the patterns are phenom, though others are a bit, well, wonky.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580112765/sr=1-20/qid=1144768780/ref=sr_1_20/103-5760327-0547063?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

When hunting it up on Amazon I saw several others that looked good.  But you're right, ravenfire, everything I've seen in stores is "boxy sweaters, freaky-looking shirts, and a whole mass of those creepy "We Heart America" afghans."  I hate that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenfire

Pink is my angry colour.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006 09:17:43 AM »

Thanks, everyone. Some of these books and mags look interesting. I'll probably have to modify a few of the patterns to fit over my ginormous boobs and linebacker-esque shoulders (too much martial arts training ^_^), but I do that anyway.

I'm sorry if my pattern angst was coming through a bit too much, but I just don't see why crafty ladies should be forced to wear hideous clothes if we want to showcase our skills. I just want patterns that show what I;'ve got. And, if possible, co-ordinate with my tattoos. ^_^

Washu: I saw a picture on the net while searching of a ladie's house that was *covered* in Americana crocheted items. Even a star-spangled litterbox cozy. Even if I was American, I don't think I'd be able to make this stuff.

Thanks again, everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Courtney Sheinmel Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Monica Holloway on Cowboy and Wills
Joseph Maroon Discusses the Uses of Supplements Like Resveratrol
Anna Quindlen Talks About Every Last One
Pop-Up Peter Pan Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...