A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reupholstered Couches  (Read 3978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2006 06:29:46 PM »

I bought these about six years ago and just reupholstered them.  This is mohair I bought on ebay.  I absolutely gutted them, tied new springs, new foundation, everything.  I had to do quite a bit of fixing the frames as well, because they were junk.  Not anymore.  I let my kids write messages on the frames, for when I do them again, it will be like a time machine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006 06:43:52 PM »

Wow... that looks really professional! I wish I could do that... big families wear couches quickly. Now, If you have any of those fabrics left over, you can make matching curtains and anything else you can think of.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
kmac

kmac at art camp

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006 06:44:48 PM »

Wow pretty impressive.  Such patience
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modpodge
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006 07:01:12 PM »

can you let us in on some of the process? reupholstery seems so daunting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lazydaisy
Crooked Halo Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006 07:06:36 PM »

Wow!  I'm quite impressed!  I'd love to know how you did it!  Just reupholstering a chair that doesn't have a removable cushion seens daunting to me right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful life!

please check out my new etsy store:  http://www.crookedhalo.etsy.com

And if you're curious, my blog:
http://sterlingstars.blogspot.com
AriadnesThread

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006 08:35:04 PM »

The truth is, my family owned an upholstery shop for many years.  I do not upholster furniture for people anymore for two reasons: 1.  I hate them.  2.  I'm a social retard.  I did however teach upholstery for three years.  In that time, I had students who did really, really well, and some who cried.  the best advice I can give anyone who wants to do this is be ready to work hard.  Sweating hard.  And this- The first thing you take off is the last thing you put on.  Mark your pieces, take pictures and buy extra fabric.  Do your inside pieces first, then outside, and finally your outside back.  Don't make cushions until your inside is completely upholstered or they may not fit.  Start with cheap thrift store stuff, and as your confidence builds, do more.  It is very rewarding,  and even though I rarely do projects for people anymore, I always have a project going for myself, because I love to do it so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006 10:04:57 AM »

Those are gooooooooooooooooorgeous.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiegh
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006 01:04:50 PM »

Sorry you have to suffer all of our upholstery questions, but I've always wanted to learn to do this.  I've flipped through instructional books, but I'm more of a visual learner.  You said you taught for three years.  Was it in your family store or at a school somewhere?  I just don't know where to look for an instructor.  Also, do you have to have some sort of insider connections to buy quality fabrics?  Just poke around ebay?  By "quality" I mean "not from JoAnn's upholstery section" Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AriadnesThread

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006 05:36:48 PM »

Hello gals, thanks for all the compliments.  tiegh,  I taught at JoAnn's until they discontinued this class in my area.  It would be worth checking out your JoAnn's, but I think this decision came down from the top.  The upholstery class they offer now is limited to footstools and kitchen chairs.  I said "No Thanks" to that.  The class I taught allowed people to bring in any chair they wanted to tackle.  You do need an insider connection to buy fabric, most is to the trade only.  You usually need a couple of trade references to get an account, depending on where you go.  However, I do have accounts at these places, and I still find the best deals on ebay.  Also, it's worth noting that JoAnn's has a pretty good selection, and when it's 50% off, that's as good a deal as any insider gets.
  In am a firm believer that you can teach yourself how to do this.  Old thrift-store stuff is the way to go.  If you start a project and need help, I'm more than willing to offer advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miz Spike
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006 04:50:16 PM »

Wow! I think the only thing I reupholstered was back in my 20s, before I learned that it was supposed to be impossible to do without a cheat sheet. I took apart a chair just as you describe, removed all the stuffing, tightened the springs, put back stuffing and added a bit here and there to change the shape a tad. Then I sewed a covered and wrestled it on, tacking things down with uphosltery tacks wherever possible. It was back in my purple phase, where everything wooden became antiqued purple, and everything else got covered with fake fur. The chair lived for yeaars after I left home, until it got dropped. The frame cracked, and a very heavy person sat it in before it could be mended. Sigh.

Miz Spike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect Part 2
How to be an Architect - Part 3
How to Be an Architect Part 4
How to be an Architect - Part 5
The Advent Of Web 2.0
Latest Blog Articles
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...