A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Abstract embroidery *lots of photos*  (Read 3252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiegh
« on: April 09, 2006 02:16:36 PM »

These embroidered pieces are from a series I did for my Senior Thesis Exhibition for my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.  I used mostly french knots, some couching, and another chain kind of stitch that I don't know the name of.  One day I'll get around to buying the embroidery stitch dictionary.  I have photos of the whole series installed in the gallery for the show, but I can't find them.  These are just on my wall at home now.  There were five all together, but I gave one to my parents and one to my grandparents.  I titled the series "New Tradition."

This is 14" x 32"

Also 14" x 32"

32" x 32" (my favorite one)

I'm watching my parents' dog and somehow one of her hairs got in the picture on the second one up.  I didn't want to take another photo, though. 

My artist statement is on my computer that died, but here's the basics of it.  Keep in mind this was seen in a fine art gallery setting and they have a different mindset than you craftsters.   Wink

The 3D quality of my embroidery on muslin is almost like drawing.  I find the tactile visual and physical characteristics of the finished product intriguing.  I learned to embroider from my mom, who learned from my grandma.  Grandma learned from greatgrandma and so on.  Hand embroidery used to become practically irrelevant in today's society.  It is time consuming and can be done faster, cheaper, and more easily by machines.  By combining my fine art education with an ages-old craft like embroidery I wanted to attest to the influences each can have on on the other.  The high art or low art distinction lies in the context and subsequent interpretation, as well as the intent with which the art was produced.

It was better than that, but you get the gist.

I made several commissioned pieces after the show was up, but I didn't have my digital camera then so I didn't get any photos of them. *smacks forehead with palm of hand*  Fortunately I had slides taken to put in my portfolio. 

tiegh
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006 02:22:59 PM by tiegh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nix kisses
mischief maker

like butterflies in the Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006 04:16:58 PM »

I like the shades of the colors you choose. the whole idea is neat. I never thought of doing anything other than the common symbols/images/words in embroidery.  - I'll have to start thinking more "out of the box" with my stitching endeavors!

awesome job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kell
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006 04:23:27 PM »

That's really beautiful.  I love the flow of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006 01:31:37 PM »

I really love all your pictures but i have to agree, your favourite is mine too  Grin I love the shapes and the way they flow and the colours are really nice too  Grin
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006 01:33:09 PM by rainbow_art » THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006 01:39:20 PM »

Those are really lovely. I love the idea of re-inventing a traditional method, passed down in your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006 01:43:29 PM »

The first one is my favorite, but your favorite blew me away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
cybilverbeana

mmm...lipstick....mom's good lipstick....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006 02:30:18 PM »

They are so beautiful...you are so talented!  You have elevated embroidery beyond some age-old craft and given it meaning to the art-gallery crowd...I guess that's what art is all about...challenging perceptions of things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist list!
http://www.wists.com/cybilverbeana

willing to do personal atc swaps! PM me if interested....
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006 04:16:58 PM »

It's definitely special! It's such a different way to approach needle arts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
blackheathen
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006 05:51:43 PM »

How beautiful!
My favourite is the first one, but I love the slits/pieces in the others.
Very innovative way of framing them too - it really sets them off nicely.
And I love the idea of combining old traditions with new styles - I'm forever scouring old art and craft books to see what out-dated thing can be re-made as contemporary - (I'm sure there's something really good that can be done with macrame that doesn't smack of 1970s hippy ...... but for the life of me I can't quite put my finger on it!!! lol).
Anyway, I adore your work, and I hope you got a good mark/response/job offer for it!
Would love to see the slides of your commissioned works too if that's possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."
-Woody Allen
tiegh
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006 12:01:52 AM »

Thanks for your complements, everyone.  I am flattered to have praise from such a great community of people.  I had a wonderful time working on these.  It was very liberating to have complete freedom to make whatever I wanted since I was used to getting assignments for every class.  My three advisors looked at me like I was crazy when I first told them about it, but once I started they didn't really have much more to say than keep up the good work.  I realized the frames look slanty, but it was just the camera angle. 

I haven't taken the time to hang them properly on my walls, but in the gallery I had a nail in the wall at each corner so the frames were an even inch out from the wall.  If they wouldn't stay level I used that tacky wall putty stuff to make them stay.  Don't tell anyone...  After lighting them I got nice shadow detail from the black embroidery floss and they looked like they were floating.  I used white nails on the white wall so they wouldn't show.  Actually, there were six of us in the gallery and I had all five of my pieces hung within two hours.  Everyone else took days to hang/install what they had.  I was rather proud of myself. 

Unfortunately, I am not technologically capable of getting images from physical slides into digital format for the other pieces I've made, but I have a friend who is way computer savvy.  Maybe he'll help me.  Usually when I ask for computer help his first question is "did you restart it?"  And usually the answer is "no, of course I didn't restart it, but that will fix my problem, right?"  And it works. 

I got an "A" for my show and I have continued to make these when I have time.  I love making commissioned pieces because I have the commissioner give or send me the colors they want me to use and I go from there.  The extra ones I make will start accumulating on my walls until I get myself modivated enough to enter them in a show or two.  For about I month or so I got really into the day time soap operas while I worked on them and then I realized what was happening to me and started staying up late to embroider rather than getting up early.  Bed at 4, up at noon.  What's wrong with that?  I'm a night owl anyway.

tiegh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Different Color Spaces in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Optimize the Color Setting in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Setup Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Advanced Adobe Photoshop CS3 Series
How to Save and Share the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...