A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Attempt at Cold Process Soap  (Read 2766 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , lye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyE
« on: April 09, 2006 01:03:06 PM »

Hey everyone! This is my first attempt at CP soap and I think it actually worked!!

Heres a picture of a bar they are just starting there cure today. I made this soap from olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, lye, and vanilla.

Hey any pro soapers do you all know if real vanilla extract is ok to use in soap? I didnt expect this to turn out so I just made it as a tiral. Also do you think it looks like it worked?? Ive used some of the trimming and it lathers so nicely and is soft and gentle but the smell is not that great Sad Any tips on how to get a great smelling bar with natural ingrediants at a lower cost??
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009 03:23:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Changed link to image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Store!!
www.mysweetloveablegoods.etsy.com
charmcity
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006 11:38:06 AM »

Congratulations on your first CP!  It's a blast, isn't it.

It's not a good idea to use vanilla extract in soap.  There are some really nice vanilla fragrance oils out there that are approved for cosmetics.  Beware that most of them discolor to dark brown in CP.  It's kind of a bummer to have lovely-smelling vanilla soap that looks more like chocolate!

There are a lot of companies out there that sell base oils, essential oils, fragrance oils, etc. for soapmaking.  Unfortunately, the shipping is what usually adds up to make it more expensive.  If you can buy your ingredients, especially your base oils, locally you will save a bunch of money. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyE
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006 02:17:46 PM »

Thank You. I was positive that this soap wouldnt turn out so I wasnt being picky on the ingrediants! I have a supplier locally that I will be getting everything from in the future!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006 02:19:56 PM »

Looks good, especially for a first attempt.  You can always make a milled soap with it and add more scent if you find it just doesn't have enough.  I never used enough scent when I first started, but have since learned my lesson.  I don't know of any natural vanilla scents...but I'm a big believer in essential oils.  I also don't know of any place with cheap essential or fragrance oils though...although lots of places will send you decent sized free samples with your order if you ask.  Or even if you don't ask...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyanemcs
Crafty Hippy-Witch

Mmmmm. Crafts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006 05:35:18 PM »

It does look like it turned ok, the biggest clue is that it lathers. As far as using vanilla extract in the soaop, it won't hurt it or anything, it just won't scent it, it doesn't really survive the whole gelling/high heat process that the traced oils have to go through to actually turn into soap.

brambleberry.com has pretty good prices for fragrances, its about $4.00/1 ounce bottle, sweetcakes.com has comparable prices as does thesage.com Good luck with your soaping & have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyE
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006 10:02:03 PM »

It does look like it turned ok, the biggest clue is that it lathers. As far as using vanilla extract in the soaop, it won't hurt it or anything, it just won't scent it, it doesn't really survive the whole gelling/high heat process that the traced oils have to go through to actually turn into soap.

brambleberry.com has pretty good prices for fragrances, its about $4.00/1 ounce bottle, sweetcakes.com has comparable prices as does thesage.com Good luck with your soaping & have fun!!

Thank You so much for letting me know that about the vanilla extract. I know some people use it on their skin as a perfume but was still concerned about it. I used some of the cut pieces and it lathered nicely but cant wait until the cureing time is over to try it again!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyanemcs
Crafty Hippy-Witch

Mmmmm. Crafts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006 07:09:45 PM »

You're very welcome Smiley Its hard to wait for it to cure, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pumpkingirl
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006 02:14:25 PM »

I'm going to try making this tonight and I'm getting excited!!! Hope it turns out. I have a recipe that calls for strong coffee and a bit of coffee grounds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
AmyE
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006 03:03:34 PM »

You're very welcome Smiley Its hard to wait for it to cure, isn't it?

It is very hard to wait for the curing!!
I'm going to try making this tonight and I'm getting excited!!! Hope it turns out. I have a recipe that calls for strong coffee and a bit of coffee grounds.

Good Luck to you Im sure it will all go well for you! I have now made 2 more batches that have turned out successfully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pumpkingirl
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006 07:56:41 PM »

Well, I just wrapped up and I swear it never traced! I stirred the stuff for an hour and it was still pretty thin. I did use olive oil, which I hear traces slower.

Hopefully it works! I'm thinking I may have to try again another time just to see.

How did you do yours? What oils did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Heart Necklace
About the Expert: Courtney Gray
Handmade Portraits: Brooklyn Watches
How to Turn Old Watch Faces Into a Bracelet
How to Make Beaded Wrap Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...