A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 223558 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnydays914
« Reply #1480 on: August 31, 2008 08:38:07 AM »

Good idea about the round cakes sweets! As long as the frosting is white or whatever neutral you have in the wedding, no one would be the wiser!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 31, 2008 08:40:01 AM »

Good idea about the round cakes sweets! As long as the frosting is white or whatever neutral you have in the wedding, no one would be the wiser!

Exactly!  She got each layer in a different flavor too, which was nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
teaparty

Crafting as thesis therapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1482 on: August 31, 2008 09:28:43 AM »

We also did the multi-cake thing:
And I was pleased with how it turned out.

A friend of the family made them, and she froze the cakes (no frosting) for one week ahead of time. After they were cool she wrapped them tightly in saran wrap and then sealed them in the gallon size ziplocks with as much air out as she could get. Then the day before she thawed them out, and frosted them the night before.

We priced grocery store cupcakes and we found out that we could get them very cheap without icing. One option we considered was buying just the cupcakes and then icing them ourselves the night before. We realized we just didn't have time for that, but it might work for you if you have lots of help available.

If you bought plain grocery store cakes though, you could still add a sprinkling of the colored sugar on top of the store icing to get the effect you liked, which would probably be the cheapest and least time intensive option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampires may be very sexy. Distraction by a sexy vampire may interfere with proper use of Vampire Detector. Vampire Detector is not responsible for sexy vampires.
frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 31, 2008 09:52:31 AM »

elottino- we did cupcakes for our wedding, and we had about 180 cupcakes for our first reception. We got chocolate cupcakes from Sam's Club, they come frozen in a big box, 165 for $27!! We made an orange buttercream frosting, and frosted them all the night before, took 3 people about 2 hours, if that. Pictures are here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=255004.0

We had little kids and little cheesecakes added, and we planned for people to help themselves to extra. I don't know what our final total of people attending was (it was more of a come and go, buffet thing), but we probably had at least 150, and had lots of cupcakes left. If it was a sit-down dinner, probably at least one for everyone, and maybe 50 extra for those who just want more! I would definitely look into Sam's Club, their cake is very good, very moist, but they only do chocolate and vanilla. Everyone raved about our cupcakes though, so I can recommend them:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elottino
« Reply #1484 on: August 31, 2008 10:50:25 AM »

Thanks everybody!  I like all the ideas, so I have some options to explore!  I'll talk to the caterer this week, too.  I know there are people who want to help, so I can recruit my cousins if the caterer will let us cut the cake. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonRhapsody
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AP Practicing, Crafty Momma

Crafty, AP Momma of 2 boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: September 02, 2008 02:25:24 PM »

So, I've been very lax on the whole getting-my-butt-in-gear-because-I-only-have-25-days-until-the-wedding idea. A lot of stuff isn't done, including my bouquet, the Boutonnières, the Groom's suit hasn't even been purchased, my dress is doing well, but I haven't had my friend Tiz come over to help again, yet. I don't know if I like the cut of the dress. I have a small waist and too much boob - the dress makes me look MASSIVE-BOOBAGE and SHORT. #____#;;

But I don't have time to loose boob-weight or buy a dress and get it fitted or find another dress pattern. I don't know what to do.....

Party favours aren't done, either! @__@;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art º FBook º Blog
beehart
« Reply #1486 on: September 05, 2008 05:16:40 AM »

ok so i posted this as soon as we got engaged a month ago and have changed things up a bit:

save the dates (i'm sorry, but that's one thing i won't use an acronym for)
-invites
-my dress
-i'll alter the bridesmaids dresses if they want them jazzed up a bit (i told them to get whatever and we'd work from there.  good thing i picked conservative bridesmaids!)
^^  i think i may make the bridesmaides dresses...there are only three of them and they're the same size as my dress form so it should work.  i'm going to enlist my buddy to help me with the things i REALLY don't like doing...like hemming.  ick.
-groom/groomsmen ties- the boy wants a bowtie so maybe i'll make that instead
-thank you cards
-centerpieces (i'm getting unique/old glass vases from thrift stores and painting them then adding a ribbon...and filling them with massive amounts of (sun?) flowers)
-i'm making bead bouquet fillers instead of using baby's breath (to wedding-y for me)
-bridesmaid gifts
-wedding favors (i'm thinking about filling up mason jars with our favorite cookie in a jar recipes and decorating the jars but i'm not sure yet... we shouldn't be having too many people so i think this would be doable)

-there's more but i can't think of them at the moment
-i want to do all the bouquets
-gifts for the parental units (i read in a bridal magazine the parents almost never get a thank you gift!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Volcanogrrl
« Reply #1487 on: September 05, 2008 07:36:53 AM »

So much to do.  We were engaged Sept. 1 and now it's time to get busy!  Thank heavenes for Bridesmaids who rock... and craftster for ideas!!
We rented a campground up by my fiance's cabin.  (Talk about the world's awesomest venue and CHEAP!!!) we have some volunteers who will be growing flowers for us, and plan B is to just buy some at Costco.  It being an outdoor wedding and us being of the no-frills variety of folk, we'll be happy with a fistfull of dandelions and all of our friends.  Smiley   
  • Save the date cards (we're getting the photos this weekend and I already made a mock-up)
    Invitations (AAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH!!!)
  • flower cones -- the day of the wedding we'll just plop a bunch of wildflowers in cones for us lady-folk.  Thought that'd be easier than making bouquets?  other ideas?
  • flower baskets -- from goodwill or whatever, to put more flowers in.
  • bathroom baskets -- no running water up at the cabin, but the outhouses are nice.  baskets will hold: battery-operated lanterns, nice hand sanitizer, lotion, bug spray, t.p., hand mirror, bandaids, tampons and pads, air freshener.  Can you think of anything else to put in there?
  • candles -- no electricity to where we're holding the actual ceremony and reception
  • Little laminated "reserved" placards to put at each reserved campsite
  • playlist -- we'll have a generator and whatnot so we can "rock out"
  • programs
  • kids' games -- ideas? 
  • driftwood signs -- to put out for directions to the place, they'll have our names and the dates burned into them.  We'll probably keep a couple after the event and throw the rest back in the lake, which could be fun later when we find them!
  • groom's survival package -- i saw some great ideas in other threads and love this idea!
  • parent gifts -- 'cause we love our folks
  • picnic baskets -- nice picnic baskets with some extra little things in there for the ladies in the wedding party.  Jeff's daughter will be standing with his groomsmen.  I can't decide if we should give her the picnic basket or the leatherman knives we want to give the guys.  She'd like both!
  • "ringbearer" pillow or something -- one of my dogs will be the ring-bearer.  (He's a MASTER at bringing us random objects, but Jeff'll have the band in his pocket just in case.)
  • little bandana thingies for the dogs, in our colors
  • doggy-favors -- a little bag with treats and poop bags for the dogs and their peeps
  • people favors -- i wanted to give out little LED headlamps.  I've found them for as cheap as $2.00 each, but if you see any for cheaper, let me know!
  • thank you cards -- seriously, i'll be getting these going BEFORE the event!
  • my dress -- I'm debating whether to recycle my first wedding dress (i'm too tight to be superstitious) or buy something simple.[/li]
    • care packages for the cabins -- the women will be getting ready in one cabin and the men will be in another.  I thought I'd stock each cabin with some necessities -- advil, nail polish, breathmints, eye drops, a bit of cash, some cookies, maybe a little flask of something to sip, wet wipes, etc??
    • the "honeymoon tent" decorations -- we'll set up a big hunting tent in the woods, and move a bed into it and set it up all fancy-schmancy. 
    • menu cards -- just a list of what's on the menu.  We're having a "bbq" station with a big ol' bbq and a "dutch oven" station where my amazing friend will be cooking some dutch oven goodness.  (Think "CeeDub") here's a pic of some random guy with a stack of dutch ovens, so you know what I'm talking about:  http://www.dream-adventures.com/images/do_stack.jpg
    • the "cake" prototype -- can you tell yet we're kinda not that traditional?  We thought it'd be nice to have a tiered cake stand full of chocolate-dipped fruits.  We just aren't cake-eaters. 
    Good gravy.  That's all I can think of for now, but I'm open to ideas !!!
    Oh, and we rented the campground for 5 days just so we'd have time to set it all up and tear it down. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009 07:39:06 AM by Volcanogrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1488 on: September 06, 2008 08:31:15 AM »

ladies!  you have all made so much progress! 

i was so crappy about posting things as i got them done - i just wanted to pack them up and check 'em off.  but i've been married for two weeks already!  woo hoo! 

i'm waiting for the pro pics to get back (this weekend sometime) and i'll start a thread with all of the DIY-ness.  i can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1489 on: September 07, 2008 07:19:15 PM »

I was engaged on Friday, August 29th, and I went to Michael's today for some supplies. I have so much to do! I guess I'll join in with all you folks Smiley
We are having a Renaissance-themed wedding on March 5, 2010. A long ways away, but it gives us time to save!

1. Save the Date bookmarks
2. Invitations
3. Bouquets
4. My dress (being made by my FMIL, but designed by me)
5. A groom's survival kit
6. Flower girl basket
7. My garland
8. Playlist
9. Programs
10. Menus
11. Vows
12. Cake
13. Hotel Info .:. Directions .:. Registry Info to include in invitations
14. Guestbook
15. Feather Pen
16. Tossing bouquet

I am halfway done with the save the dates... I have stamped and embossed green fleur de lis on a cream background bookmark.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Glass Blowing Kit
How Hot Does the Glass Get in Glass Blowing
How to Blow Glass
How Much Do Glass Blowing Artists Make
How to Choose the Right Yarn for a Knitting Project
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...