A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 224616 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DragonRhapsody
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AP Practicing, Crafty Momma

Crafty, AP Momma of 2 boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1430 on: August 09, 2008 10:27:30 PM »

Well, I'm getting married September 27th. I haven't heard from my Wedding Commissioner {which is scary, so I will be calling around} and I have 6 weeks to go till Crunch Time.

I'm trying not to think of the giant list of things that need to get done, because I'll catch myself panicking.

I haven't even started sewing the mock-up dress yet. I have cut it out, though, so I'm..........kinda? there..... #_____________#;;

Deep breaths....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1431 on: August 10, 2008 01:30:54 AM »

Dragonrhapsody - we share the same wedding date! And like you, my mock-up has not been done yet, oh boy. At least I got my shoes today, that counts right?!

Don't worry love, you will get it all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
teaparty

Crafting as thesis therapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1432 on: August 10, 2008 08:58:13 AM »

I wanted to share photos, they're up on the Love your wedding Thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53280.650

AND the best and worst crafty bits:

Best:
Program Fans- I loved them, and so did everyone else! I'm sad we didn't get a picture of the basket full of them, as there were all different colored ribbons and it looked really cool, but they got snapped up right away. I think people even took the few left overs!

Flower Girl headbands and ring pillow- really satisfying to make, I saved a ton of money and really got exactly what I imagined on the kids. Since we didn't have any grown ups in the wedding party, I loved how the kids all looked coordinated, but slightly unique. And the little girls LOVED their headbands and parasols.

Cakes and Cake toppers- tons of compliments about the dinosaur cake toppers (see them in action?)

There was actually a series of funny rumors going around about why dinosaurs. Some thought inside joke, others confused my being an anthropologist with being a paleontologist (grrr), and somepeople thought maybe they belonged to us as kids. We didn't tell, but really we bought them at the dollar store and snazzed them up just because we liked them.

Other good crafting, the tattoos (totally the same as other people on craftster) and rainbow glasses (make lights look like fireworks). I was going to have them all wrapped up in Cello bags with fake mustaches and fortune fish, but just ran out of time. Now I have a huge box of fake mustaches and fortune fish.

Kids favors/area: I did so much stuff for the kids, and it really paid off. They were all happy and well behaved, and all the parents could relax and actually sit and chat because they kids were happily contained in one area. And when everyone started to go home, all the kids came and gave us hugs and were so genuinely excited about having their very own bag with real presents to take home. All that work was so worth it.

Not so Great:

Poufs- we spent like 6 hours puffing them, time we could have spent doing a hundred other things (like sleeping) and in the end we only hung up about 10 because the reception room wouldn't let us hang them from the ceiling like we planned.

Birdcage veil- I REEEAAALLY wanted one, and ordered the fabric, dyed it with coffee to match the dress, and bought a silk flower clip I love from etsy to hold it. But I didn't know how my friend was going to do my hair so I left the veil for the last minute. And then there was no last minute. I didn't even get my hair done, let alone have time to make the veil and in the end, although I get a little grumpy when I see the poor unused fabric, I think I looked okay.

Going totally DIY- My experience was this...We pulled it off and it was great. We couldn't have done it any other way on our budget (about 5k for 100 guests, and having three dresses put a crunch on the budget!) but we ended up missing out on a lot of things in retrospect I wish we would have prioritized. I barely saw my mother for three days because we were bossing around different groups of people. If we could have done more ahead of time it probably would have been great, but me and Mr. and our mothers were all coming into town with only three days to do everything. Nothing about the weekend was at all relaxing, but in its own manic way, it was awesome.

Lesson learned, if it can be avoided, don't plan a DIY wedding from out of the country.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008 09:02:29 AM by teaparty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampires may be very sexy. Distraction by a sexy vampire may interfere with proper use of Vampire Detector. Vampire Detector is not responsible for sexy vampires.
elottino
« Reply #1433 on: August 11, 2008 08:28:39 PM »

Teaparty, I love that everything matches, even the ring pillow.  Very beautiful.

I also had not heard from the woman running the masonic lodge for about 6 weeks:(  I tried calling her from my work number, and surprise, she answered.  It turns out that she is permanently renting the reception hall to a business.  So, we found a beautiful art gallery instead, and now I don't have to do some of the crafts I was going to.  Especially the lanterns and decoration.  Who needs decoration when there are beautiful paintings on every surface? It's kind of nice to cross another item off the list, even if I didn't finish it.  We only have 70 something days left anyway.

I am still doing the masquerade masks as favors, which you can see here...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=253819.msg2946834#msg2946834

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaiser Scissorhands

Why am I sticky & naked? Did I miss something fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1434 on: August 11, 2008 09:31:30 PM »

September 13th, 2008.
UPDATE
The list:

Save the dates
Invitations/hotel info/rsvps/directions(designed, not assembled)
Pick or take Photo for inside the invite (Took photos...did not choose to include them.)
Programs (no)
Practice wedding dress
Real wedding dress--The dress is functional. Needs final fitting and decoration. And an even hem.
Alter Bridesmaids dresses--changed dress to not be something that needs altering
Make Sashes for female attendants
Make ties for male attendants
Replace the veil and restore the ribbon on my fancy wedding hat.
Food identification cards.
Cooler snazziers (for my family's classy solution of trash barrel full of ice)
Guest book/video message booth.
Table decor--concept is done, supplies are purchased, mostly.
Mini Muffin favor bags (with recipe and ribbons)
paint glasses-- Half the glasses are done.
Bouquets

New projects:

Bridesmaids gifts.
Attendant tags.
Photo board (in lieu of the programs)
Take these glasses tags with flickr info.
Boutineers.
Dessert platters.
Fascinator and veil (for after the fancy hat).

I think that is it. Man, we should have outsourced more. 1 month and counting.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 09:32:02 PM by Kaiser Scissorhands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living dangerously.
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1435 on: August 15, 2008 11:49:03 AM »

teaparty, your pictures are wonderful--you look beautiful and I love the tea-length dress. I think you looked great without a veil, and the parasols were a lovely touch for the garden setting.
elottino, those masks are fabulous! I like the cat one that says "happily ever after" on it.

I think I'm getting a little wedding obsessed (and it scares me.)...last night while I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep I kept thinking of wedding crafts I could make, specifically wedding jewelry. I stopped short of actually getting up and making said crafts in the middle of the night, but did make a practice bridal jewelry set this afternoon instead of doing productive work--and of course now I'm on craftster sharing my procrastination with you fine folks!

I have two identical simple strung pearl necklaces from my grandmother, and am thinking of reworking the pearls from one of them into a necklace and earring set like this. (Something old AND something new) Mostly it'll depend on what my dress ends up being.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008 11:50:33 AM by Synne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 15, 2008 12:25:14 PM »

Woww... that set is BEAUTIFUL! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
teaparty

Crafting as thesis therapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1437 on: August 15, 2008 12:45:28 PM »

Synne,

that necklace is drop dead lovely. Truly.
I did the same thing before our wedding, just lay awake at night thinking about new things to do. It's a happy kind of crazy. I say revel in it, since the only comparable thing that will happen in your life is maybe being very pregnant.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampires may be very sexy. Distraction by a sexy vampire may interfere with proper use of Vampire Detector. Vampire Detector is not responsible for sexy vampires.
exile217
« Reply #1438 on: August 16, 2008 09:54:57 PM »

oh dear.  i've probably been lurking about craftster for a couple years now.  and of all things, it's wedding planning that has finally gotten me to post. . .

so nothing is set for sure yet, but we're planning for next summer.  maybe july?  but now that i know it's happening, i've started to plan.  not sure yet of everything i will be crafting, but here's what i'm starting with.  and of course some questions for all of you out there:

invitations - i have a tentative plan for these, and made a 'practice' one today.  the problem i have is that the paper i reeeeallllyy want to use is in a scrapbook 'stack.'  so that means i could get 8 invite pieces out of each $10 book of paper.  so my options are to just go out buy about 16 of those books and try to sell what i don't use on ebay, or to keep looking for something else i can live with that is sold in individual sheets.
(Update. . . I found that this paper can be had individually!!  i'm checking with a local shop to see if they'll do it, otherwise there are some websites that carry it too)

veil - also made a practice on of these tonight (yes, i have the fever)  i'm leaning towards the birdcage style.  i would like the angled/one eye visible look.  does anyone know if the proper way to achieve this is to just clip it my hair angled?  this looks ok, but i'd rather be able to clip it centered (so it looks ok flipped back.)  wondering if anyone has made one by cutting the rectangle of fabric with a diagonal added to the bottom edge. . . i started with a 28" x 15" rectangle of wide tulle.

cake - leaning towards cupcakes.  after i do some pricing around we will determine whether this is a diy step or not.

centerpieces - ?? no idea ??

we're planning for a retro look wedding if we can put it together so that people can actually tell.  my dress has a halter, as will those of the maids.  i'm thinking working either cherries or asian style cherry blossoms into the favors/cake/decor.  or perhaps both if i can pull it off.  if anyone has ideas or suggestions on any of this i would love to hear them.

liz!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 02:04:55 PM by exile217 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

She reaches for the highest laurels, not because they are hanging slightly lower for a moment but because they are the highest; if it were in her power she would hang them higher still.

Josephine the Singer, or The Mouse People

Franz Kafka
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1439 on: August 17, 2008 02:19:55 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, ladies!
Welcome, exile217! I'm glad you found your paper! I've seen a lot of gorgeous cherry blossom cakes around the net (like this: http://www.cakessospecial.com/Cherry_Blossom_Cakes.html) and I think the design would translate beautifully into cupcakes as well--a quick googling of "cherry blossom cupcake" found several beauties...
http://www.hellocupcakeonline.com/newsletters/issue1.html
http://flickr.com/photos/hello_naomi/2513552552
I think they could be DIY-doable, especially something simple like the first link.
All the thoughts of cupcakes made me hungry...*goes off to find a snack*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Neon text effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Ice Text Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Create Glossy Sphere in Photoshop - Tutorial
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How Compare Different File Types
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Save Different File Types
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...