A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 217772 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: January 30, 2008 07:22:24 PM »

You should be able to buy thicker foam core at an art supply store. That said, I'd test before I committed to making that many rounds out of thick foam core. Cutting foam core neatly on curves can be very frustrating and difficult if you've never used it before, even the regular thickness. you also might think about cutting rounds that sit on a base, instead of rounds that are somehow suspended from a central pole. Think a stack of cake stands, only bigger. And hot glue, in my experience, is not a good way to adhere things to a cut edge of foamcore, the heat makes the foam melt. Again, test test test would be my best advice.

I think for your tree you could create the tiers with thick foamcore and your 'trunk' by using PVC pipe painting it all in the colors of your wedding, and then lining the tiers with something that is approved for food use.  Around the edge of the foam core sections you could use a nice trim and hotglue them around it (I wouldn't use the foamore you find most places but look for the foamcore that is 3/8 to 1/2 inch in thickness on ebay (many sellers sell it by the case vs by the sheet). 

I think you could come up with a very similar look at a fairly decent budget.  Hope this helps anyway Smiley

ok, you're pretty much a genius, I'm definitely going to try that. For some reason I couldn't think beyond wood, and got stuck:)

One thing I'm a little bit worried about- is it going to topple over during the reception? Not just from the foam core, but anything I make it out of. That scares me a bit, but I'm sure there's a good answer to prevent it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
rhettsmommy
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2008 08:55:53 PM »

here are a few more of the things I've finished over the past few weeks.  I've been so busy finishing up the last few projects, I have not had any time to post!  Yikes!  I have been reading though, and I am loving everyone's idea's and progress!  Welcome to all the new craftalong posters too!

kids paper candy boxes:

photo card box:

I finally got this fixed after the little guy deceided to play IN it!!  As you can see, I still have a few stones left to hot glue back on!

I have more, but don't have my camera with me right now, I'll try to get more up later.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
starveil101
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2008 09:21:07 PM »

So, it isn't a cupcake tree, but I thought of something really cool if anyone wants something unique!  You know how they have the hanging lanterns/decorations/etc.  Well (if it's possible at the venue), hang flat platforms from the ceiling and put the cupcakes on those and they could be different lengths to give variety...

hum, and I guess with those platforms (w/e shape), you can add ribbon, or flowers, or whatever goes with the theme.... ideas are turing in my mind now for my reception Smiley 

rhettsmommy, if your cardbox were much much bigger, that would be a cool ottoman!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2008 09:40:54 PM »

Welcome to the discussion frogeyesalad and nice choice of a wedding date (mine too!)

Wood for a base does sound like it would help stabilize the tree. If, for some reason, all hell breaks loose and the tree doesn't work out as a 6 foot extravaganza, a bunch of different trees of differing height would be really cool all set out on a table. Each could be decorated with a slightly different trim and in coordinating colors...

Dang, I'm starting to wish I had gone with cupcakes instead of a cake!

Here is a picture of the tree my friend had at her wedding in December (excuse the Christmas-y greenery)
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff228/katiejoy914/n772980252_2148562_445.jpg
You can kind of see that her tree had a Christmas tree stand-like base. That's always an idea. Make the base from wood and anchor it with a tree stand.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I can't wait to see how this turned out!

Ooh, we're on the same timeline- I'm sure I'm way behind though:)
I must ask- do you have ANY idea where you friend got that? I really don't mind buying one if possible, I just resigned myself to making it since I can't find one. And that is EXACTLY what I want. Any help you could give that way would be great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2008 10:48:41 PM »

Frogeye - I dunno what you're using for your guestbook, but you might want to try www.mypublisher.com I think I'm going to once we get all our pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
pinkangel1979
« Reply #755 on: January 31, 2008 01:22:55 AM »

Yay!  I can join in at last after lurking for years!  I got engaged last Thursday so it's been a week now. Smiley  We're planning for either Sept 2009 or March 2010.  My fianc originally said 2010 but as he's thinking Oz for honeymoon he's being swayed towards Sept 09.  So until we decide on that, I can't really plan a whole lot yet but I can write lists can't I??

Will you be my bridesmaid cards
Save the date cards
Invites
Place cards
Order of service
Table numbers/plan
Favours

The dress- to make, alter second hand/vintage or buy new?
Veil/tiara
Shoes- alter/buy new
Jewellery- mine & bridesmaids

Flowers- bouquets, button holes, venue, table

Guest book

Sure there's lots more so I'll have to edit accordingly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2008 04:54:08 AM »

here are a few more of the things I've finished over the past few weeks.  I've been so busy finishing up the last few projects, I have not had any time to post!  Yikes!  I have been reading though, and I am loving everyone's idea's and progress!  Welcome to all the new craftalong posters too!

kids paper candy boxes:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/HPIM0793_1JPG.JPG[/img]

photo card box:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/HPIM0791_1JPG.JPG[/img]

I finally got this fixed after the little guy deceided to play IN it!!  As you can see, I still have a few stones left to hot glue back on!

I have more, but don't have my camera with me right now, I'll try to get more up later.

Pretties!  I'm so happy everytime you post photos.  I love your colors! Smiley

I'm so glad that the box was able to be repaired. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2008 04:55:01 AM »

Yay!  I can join in at last after lurking for years!  I got engaged last Thursday so it's been a week now. Smiley  We're planning for either Sept 2009 or March 2010.  My fianc originally said 2010 but as he's thinking Oz for honeymoon he's being swayed towards Sept 09.  So until we decide on that, I can't really plan a whole lot yet but I can write lists can't I??

Will you be my bridesmaid cards
Save the date cards
Invites
Place cards
Order of service
Table numbers/plan
Favours

The dress- to make, alter second hand/vintage or buy new?
Veil/tiara
Shoes- alter/buy new
Jewellery- mine & bridesmaids

Flowers- bouquets, button holes, venue, table

Guest book

Sure there's lots more so I'll have to edit accordingly!

OH oh oh!!  Congrats!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #758 on: January 31, 2008 05:57:20 AM »

catElle, thank you so much for that suggestion! I hadn't though of that!

pinkangel, congratulations on your engagement!

frogeyesalad, I agree with TheBon that if you do end up building your own tree, you definitely want to do lots of tests! Wood is probably the way to go for stability, but it may not really end up being all that inexpensive. It is adorable though! If you can't make the 6 ft. tree happen, check out http://www.cupcaketree.com/ and maybe use a group of smaller ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #759 on: January 31, 2008 06:12:42 AM »

p.s. does anyone know how to get a screen shot of a film? I am trying to get a photo of Kirsten Dunst's hair from Marie Antoinette (the casual, in the garden romping hair, not the three foot decorated with birdies hair!). I found the front of it, but can't find photos of the back. Here's the idea of the front http://www.sedaka.be/ebay_tiny/marie-antoinette.jpg
The best I can think of is playing it the DVD and taking a picture of it, but that sure isn't going to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Street Vs. High End Foundations
Theodore Leaf Responds to Your Elevator Makeover Comments
Quick Beauty Tips for Working Moms
How Does Nair Hair Removal Work?
Are Juice Cleanses a Good Idea?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...