A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Crafty Wedding Craftalong!  (Read 223978 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paigeywithwings
« Reply #740 on: January 30, 2008 09:36:58 AM »

zarafan - the birdcage veil I want to model mine after is here:

http://www.birdcageveils.com/photo_gallery_birdcage_veil_jkember.htm

What do you think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
helenpaige.etsy.com
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #741 on: January 30, 2008 12:13:41 PM »

That is beautiful paigey! I'm off to email that photo to my mom, I think it may be just what we've been looking for! I also loved Katherine Heigl's veil http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/01/02/katherine-heigl-wedding-pictures/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
thekster
« Reply #742 on: January 30, 2008 01:36:49 PM »

Della, remember that if you do send them out separately, that means twice the amount you'll be spending for postage.
I can't find who wanted the birdcage veil's name, but Hey You! Another person on here made her own birdcage veil with a little hat and it looked really cute. Her name is Morbid somethingorother. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=216073.0 Maybe she'll post a tut if you ask her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #743 on: January 30, 2008 01:55:28 PM »

I love the vintage hat and veil combo, cute if your dress is the right style!

I'm on to thinking about centerpieces, and have come across a real dilemma! I want something that will be cheaper than flowers and had thought of little topiaries, then I found this: http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/heather_bailey/2008/01/paper-globes.html on Heather Bailey's blog and fell in love. If I can find the right papers it would be awesome, and I could tie in the papers from my invites, too! Then there comes the dilemma: how am I supposed to make these in Michigan and get them to Rhode Island without spending a buttload of cash on shipping? I don't want to give a crafting burden like this to my peeps back home, plus none of them are very crafty!

I'm starting to think that this is going to be a major issue for all of the things I wanted to craft (gifts, flowers, etc). I don't want to wait until the week of and then go craft crazy at home, talk about too much stress! Maybe I'll move home for two months.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
catElle
« Reply #744 on: January 30, 2008 03:03:42 PM »

Banga,

I love the paper topiary idea

You could make most of the topiaries ready and just not join them up to the point where it becomes 3d.

i.e. join up the sides to make the 2d net and then join them up to make them 3d the day/s before the wedding.

You can find an image of the net here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icosahedron and I think that you would only have about 10 sides left to glue together to make them 3d (which you could cheat with and have double sided sticky tape already atached so you would just have to peel and stick!).

If you could transport them flat then it would be much easier for you to do. (Also then you could maybe just give people at home the burden of putting the stalks into plantpots and covering with moss!?!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 30, 2008 05:29:02 PM »

Well, I think I've been lurking long enough! I started my wedding planning in October, when we got engaged, but have yet to post any of it on here. Our wedding will be May 17, 2008 in San Antonio, with a reception in Austin and Dallas.

So far I have made...nothing:) I do have my dress (bought from another bride, so saved a bunch there), and I am searching for the perfect pink shoe, that is at least a 3 1/2" heel (because I'm not hemming my dress, and I like heels:) ).

The things I need to make are:
  • invitations- just bought a print gocco last night, so those will come soon
  • bouquet/boutonniere- we aren't having a bridal party, so I'll just have my bouquet (hot pink daisies) and his boutonniere to do the night before, probably
  • centerpieces- like this http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/decorations/gallery/realwedding/detail/8911?f=blossom%3ahydrangea&pf=type%3acenterpieces&offset=6&page=1, but I'm going to use daisies. Hopefully 80 stems from Sam's Club will cover centerpieces and the bouquet!
  • guestbook- in order to have something I think we will use, I want to make a photo book of all our engagement pictures, and have guests sign in the blank spaces. I'm having trouble finding any sites with flexible layouts though. Apple is pretty rigid on where you can put the picture and the words, but I'll keep looking
  • thank you cards- almost completely designed, and will be goccoed when it comes
  • cupcake tree? this is my inspiration-

but I can not figure out how I'm going to make it. And yes, I really really do want it to be like 6 feet tall, but I may have to accept it can't be:(  Anyone have ideas? I cut this off the back of a Sam's Club catalog a year ago

I think that's all. I sure hope it is, anyway. We are on a really small budget, but we are saving a lot of costs with the ceremony and reception place free through church, having just a limited reception with the cupcakes and some munchies, no bridal party, etc.

I love reading all your ideas, and seeing your beautiful pictures:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: January 30, 2008 05:38:09 PM »

Well, I think I've been lurking long enough! I started my wedding planning in October, when we got engaged, but have yet to post any of it on here. Our wedding will be May 17, 2008 in San Antonio, with a reception in Austin and Dallas.

So far I have made...nothing:) I do have my dress (bought from another bride, so saved a bunch there), and I am searching for the perfect pink shoe, that is at least a 3 1/2" heel (because I'm not hemming my dress, and I like heels:) ).

The things I need to make are:
  • invitations- just bought a print gocco last night, so those will come soon
  • bouquet/boutonniere- we aren't having a bridal party, so I'll just have my bouquet (hot pink daisies) and his boutonniere to do the night before, probably
  • centerpieces- like this http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/decorations/gallery/realwedding/detail/8911?f=blossom%3ahydrangea&pf=type%3acenterpieces&offset=6&page=1, but I'm going to use daisies. Hopefully 80 stems from Sam's Club will cover centerpieces and the bouquet!
  • guestbook- in order to have something I think we will use, I want to make a photo book of all our engagement pictures, and have guests sign in the blank spaces. I'm having trouble finding any sites with flexible layouts though. Apple is pretty rigid on where you can put the picture and the words, but I'll keep looking
  • thank you cards- almost completely designed, and will be goccoed when it comes
  • cupcake tree? this is my inspiration-
    http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/wedding-cupcakes-web.jpg
    but I can not figure out how I'm going to make it. And yes, I really really do want it to be like 6 feet tall, but I may have to accept it can't be:(  Anyone have ideas? I cut this off the back of a Sam's Club catalog a year ago

I think that's all. I sure hope it is, anyway. We are on a really small budget, but we are saving a lot of costs with the ceremony and reception place free through church, having just a limited reception with the cupcakes and some munchies, no bridal party, etc.

I love reading all your ideas, and seeing your beautiful pictures:)

I think for your tree you could create the tiers with thick foamcore and your 'trunk' by using PVC pipe painting it all in the colors of your wedding, and then lining the tiers with something that is approved for food use.  Around the edge of the foam core sections you could use a nice trim and hotglue them around it (I wouldn't use the foamore you find most places but look for the foamcore that is 3/8 to 1/2 inch in thickness on ebay (many sellers sell it by the case vs by the sheet). 

I think you could come up with a very similar look at a fairly decent budget.  Hope this helps anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 30, 2008 05:39:58 PM »

I think for your tree you could create the tiers with thick foamcore and your 'trunk' by using PVC pipe painting it all in the colors of your wedding, and then lining the tiers with something that is approved for food use.  Around the edge of the foam core sections you could use a nice trim and hotglue them around it (I wouldn't use the foamore you find most places but look for the foamcore that is 3/8 to 1/2 inch in thickness on ebay (many sellers sell it by the case vs by the sheet). 

I think you could come up with a very similar look at a fairly decent budget.  Hope this helps anyway Smiley

ok, you're pretty much a genius, I'm definitely going to try that. For some reason I couldn't think beyond wood, and got stuck:)

One thing I'm a little bit worried about- is it going to topple over during the reception? Not just from the foam core, but anything I make it out of. That scares me a bit, but I'm sure there's a good answer to prevent it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burstandbloom
« Reply #748 on: January 30, 2008 05:46:59 PM »

ok, you're pretty much a genius, I'm definitely going to try that. For some reason I couldn't think beyond wood, and got stuck:)

One thing I'm a little bit worried about- is it going to topple over during the reception? Not just from the foam core, but anything I make it out of. That scares me a bit, but I'm sure there's a good answer to prevent it

i was going to suggest an idea almost exactly like what cothchics said...but as far as the toppling over...you could make the actual base more substantial...like wood or something? and then pain it. or just put some kind of weight inside.

also...congrats on the texas wedding! i'm from dallas (and currently live in austin, cuz i go to UT) so that's exciting! haha. and btw that cupcake tree is so amazing. whoever thought of that idea first was a genius
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
sunnydays914
« Reply #749 on: January 30, 2008 07:10:17 PM »

Welcome to the discussion frogeyesalad and nice choice of a wedding date (mine too!)

Wood for a base does sound like it would help stabilize the tree. If, for some reason, all hell breaks loose and the tree doesn't work out as a 6 foot extravaganza, a bunch of different trees of differing height would be really cool all set out on a table. Each could be decorated with a slightly different trim and in coordinating colors...

Dang, I'm starting to wish I had gone with cupcakes instead of a cake!

Here is a picture of the tree my friend had at her wedding in December (excuse the Christmas-y greenery)

You can kind of see that her tree had a Christmas tree stand-like base. That's always an idea. Make the base from wood and anchor it with a tree stand.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I can't wait to see how this turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 4/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 16/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 18/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 17/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 13/19
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...