A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stenciling with gum wrapper  (Read 1811 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiny_robot
« on: April 09, 2006 07:32:54 AM »

(originally posted in more art less craft but moved because, hey, stencils!)

many of us learned this in middle school: if you use the edge of your fingernail to peel the silvery stuff off gum wrappers (carefully, of course, without crinkling or wadding it), you can use the back of your nail to press it flat against other things. awhile ago, i was trying unsuccessfully to quit smoking and i found myself bored out of my mind with some stencils and a few dozen gum wrappers that i'd saved for god knows what reason. so of course i decided it was time for a crafty project.

numero uno:

for this guy here, i traced a stencil i'd made of elvis onto a piece of thin, uncorrugated cardboard. veeeeeery carefully, i pressed the silver stuff inside the stencil lines, using my fingernails to define the rough edges. it took damn near forever, but i finally got it! the facial features were too delicate for that particular medium, so i just used sharpie to color them in. i like the two-tone better than i would have liked monotone, too, so it was a lucky break.

numero dos (sorry it's flipped on its side):

same thing, except i stenciled it onto the side of my bookshelf, right next to the pillow on my bed. i woke up the next morning, saw my beautiful deer-head stencil, and felt happy. then i got up and realized how badly my back ached from hunching over to do this project for like four hours, and then felt a little sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stopmoshun
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006 09:35:25 AM »

that is very cool, it is like a cheap way to do silver leafing. and elvis is looking hot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

felly
19th October's the B.dae

the felly to the ellly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006 12:00:55 AM »

can i check, how did u transfer the silver foil over to the board? i have lots of silver gum wrappers.. haha n some gold marks and spence eclair toffee wrappers. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeLLy BeLLy MeLLy JeLLy KeLLy TeLLy *heart* Crafty

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/felly
tiny_robot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006 06:06:03 AM »

hey, what you want to do is peel the silver stuff veeeeeery carefully away from the wax paper. You need a few millimeters of fingernail for this. once you get the piece off the wrapper (generally you'll get a bunch of little strips before you get a big giant one), there'll be a silvery side and a dull, sticky one. put the wrapper sticky-side down onto your surface, and carefully rub it flat with the back of your nail. et voila!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Smoked Brisket
How to Cook Food on a Fire Pit
Summer Steak Dinner Recipe
How to Make Poutine
How to Make Onion Rings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...