A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,660
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alternative Uses for Beanie Babies??  (Read 7058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starryeyes
« on: July 07, 2004 11:59:09 AM »

Well, I don't know about any of you, but I have tons of Beanie Babies sitting around in the attic. I was young when the fad was in, like, 4th grade, so I didn't know any better. I don't want to get rid of them since so much money was wasted on them, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what to do with them. Maybe someone out there has already made them into something or done something to them.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booger.
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004 03:04:27 PM »

I can't remember who does it on here, but her sister takes apart animals and puts them back together.  Like a duck with bat wings and elephant feet.  I think it's neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004 03:49:38 PM »

You can split the seam in the back, unstuff them & make a little purse or change purse. Roll the edges under & whip stich around, use velcro or snaps to close. If you want to get fancy you can take a small piece of fabric & sew a little pouch to stuff inside to give it a lining.
 The little cheapo beanies form the dollar store are about 3 inches tall & they make a good size to attach a clip on for back packs.
Jule
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004 04:24:32 PM by Jule » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004 04:57:53 PM »

Hey, I (or my sister) is famous! *laugh*

I'd think that with beanie babies you'd wind up with a bunch of big heads sewn together.  I like the coin pouch idea though.  Strap a long thin chain on it and you'd have a little sophistication !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorraine_anthony1
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004 02:31:21 PM »

NOOOOOOO!!!! dont do it! ok i've stopped caring about my beanie babies (that much) but they're gonna be worth so much money, if their tags are entact! don't dissect them!!! psend them to me instead! jk!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004 02:42:47 PM »

Believe it or not they make the best dog toys ever! Those things are almost indistructable. My sheep dog shreads just about everything I give her to play with or chew on in about 5 min, but the beanie baby has lasted several months before she destroyed it. Yep, dog toys, thats bout all there good for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorraine_anthony1
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004 10:11:59 AM »

*sob* the poor beanies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deadpixel

Even Lois Lane loves Edward G. Robinson.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004 11:02:41 AM »

i like the coin purse idea a lot.  my mum had a bunch sitting a a trunk - i suppose she thought they would be worth something someday - but anyways, she unstuffed them, ripped out some seams, stitched them together, and made a creepy little throw blanket ouf of them.   i would post a picture if i had one, and i'd get one if i didn't live in a different state...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can see a lot of the world from railings."
- Ringo
kate conspiracy
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004 12:33:16 PM »

I like the coin purse idea, so like a little jewelry bag to keep your rings on trips or something.  I bought a purse for one of my friends that is a plush leopard with a zipper up the back. It is really cute and soft - I almost bought one for myself but it's not really my style Smiley It reminds me of something else super cute I saw here (no idea which thread). She had stuff animals (felt, I think) and one had a zipper on the chest with a little pocket, and she stuck a heart inside. Very cute, in a sort of melancholy way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

luvsquilts
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004 06:52:17 PM »

Donate them.

I go to garage sales in the summer time.  This last summer I got a lot of beanie babies and small stuffed animals. They are nice, clean and some are brand new with tags!  Anyway....  I have started making simple totes with a pocket on the outside (perfect to put those beanies in) to donate to the C.Y.F.D.

There are so many children that get taken away from their families and put into foster care.  Most of the time the social worker shows up with nothing to put the childrens belongings in except Wal-mart bags or whatever they can find.  I feel like a donation of these totes with a little something for the kids, might make them feel a little better.  They have something to hold and a nice little tote to keep for themselves.

There are tons of cute children's fabrics out there to make these totes. 

Just an idea......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Black_Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004 04:22:59 AM »

You could always save the beanies and put them on display? They are going to be worth a lot of money you should keep them intact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004 04:45:02 AM »

Those are all such good ideas, though I would definately want to see a pic of the Beanie Baby Blanket.

I was thinking of taking my extra Beanies and making costumes for them. With having a 2yo around, it will be impossible to have a traditional nativity set anywhere in my house. Because the pieces are small and action figure sized, my kid automatically thinks they are toys (I can't tell you how many times I've rescued the baby Jesus from beneath the couch after a ride in a car, and have found one of the wise men hidden behind the lazyboy).

If you never decide what to do w/ them, I like luvsquilts' idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
katspank
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004 02:44:49 PM »

I was just thinking about this today.  How about filling them w/ catnip for cat toys?

Also, I took the tags off all the beanies immediately b/c i never wanted to worry about collecting them.  people just kept giving them to me..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004 03:05:59 PM »

I was just thinking about this today.  How about filling them w/ catnip for cat toys?

Also, I took the tags off all the beanies immediately b/c i never wanted to worry about collecting them.  people just kept giving them to me..

I am so against the destruction of the coolest 90s fad next to the Furby, but this idea is okay. The cheap-o ones from Mc Donalds ( I have triples. haha) are small enough to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheshirelephant
Smile, it makes people wonder what your up to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004 07:54:15 AM »

Donate them.

I go to garage sales in the summer time.  This last summer I got a lot of beanie babies and small stuffed animals. They are nice, clean and some are brand new with tags!  Anyway....  I have started making simple totes with a pocket on the outside (perfect to put those beanies in) to donate to the C.Y.F.D.

There are so many children that get taken away from their families and put into foster care.  Most of the time the social worker shows up with nothing to put the childrens belongings in except Wal-mart bags or whatever they can find.  I feel like a donation of these totes with a little something for the kids, might make them feel a little better.  They have something to hold and a nice little tote to keep for themselves.

There are tons of cute children's fabrics out there to make these totes. 

Just an idea......

That is such a nice idea...when i pull my beanies out of my closet...i will definately keep that in mind.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004 10:58:39 PM »

I have been costuming mine. Recently, I got given a pink one with a loveheart nose, so I made it into a ballerina with tutu and flower in hair and pearly bracelet. It looks very balletish. Ive got a Zebra-ish one that I may clothe in black organza high fashion gowns  Grin
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
Ilsa

...but what do I know.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004 11:25:41 PM »

It's kind of morbid, but I was hoping to come across a big bag of beanie babies somewhere so I could take apart the seams and sew them all together to come up with a "pelt" wrap, purse or jacket. Fake fur and fur are kind of back in again and I would love to run around with my sacrificial beanie baby fashion accessory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004 09:23:22 PM »

Looks like I have a Goodwill project for this weekend Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Hudson Wows in a Sleek White Suit by Gucci!
5 Transitional Booties to Step Seamlessly Into Fall
How to Pick a Prom Dress
Cold Weather Fashion Guide
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Large-Busted Women
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...