A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Braided Blue Boob Tube: Now With Tutorial!  (Read 29298 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IzzyBella

Drag it out of the trash... and make it beautiful

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2006 09:12:55 AM »

Well, the top bit is a boob tube, anyway.  I made this out of a long-sleeved blue t-shirt; I thought it was a men's medium, but now I think it was a woman's, as there wasn't nearly as much fabric to play with as I thought there was going to be.  All  hand-stiched, because although I think I'm close to figuring out this sewing machine business, I'm not quite there yet.

The seams need to be finished, particularly at the top, and the braid is stiffer than I'd like, but overall, I'm fond of the design.  And having access to mannequins at work is a definite bonus...  too bad we're going out of business.  *sniff*  I might have to adopt a few and take them home.

*Edit - here's a tute with some simple pictures:

Take a long-sleeved t-shirt (a few sizes too big, naturally), and cut off the sleeves.  Measure yourself from the top of the boob to the bottom of the boob, add a little bit for seam allowances and cut that from the top (when measuring on the shirt, make sure that you go from the bottom of the collar, and not the shoulder.)

Now it's time to make your boob tube.  Cut the collar bit off, and you should have a long tube of fabric.  Measure around your boobies, and divide that number by two.  This is how long your tube needs to be.  Mark it on the fabric, sew up the sides, and slip the tube over your head to make sure that it fits you tightly without being impossible to put on.  Take it off, and make any necessary adjustments.

Skirty goodness!  You know how long your boob tube is?  That's exactly how big the "waist" of your skirt needs to be.  Mark that off, and then draw two lines down the skirt, starting at the edge of the waist and going down to the bottom corner of the skirt.  This will give you a nice, flared, a-line type of skirt.  Sew along the lines.

Sew the boob tube to the waist of the skirt.  Now is a good time to pull the shirt over your head and make sure that it fits reasonably well without being too tight to get on. 

Okay, the strap.  This is a bit tricky.  Cut as shown in the pictures: 

So you have a long strip of fabric with three fringes.  Attach it to something that won't move (I pinned it to the back cushion of a chair, which I then sat on cowboy-style), and start pulling.  Pull all three strands together.  Pull them individually.  Pull them until you feel like your fingers are going to fall off.  Don't worry - t-shirt is very stretchy.  You want the strands to be about twice as long as you think they should be, because braiding will shorten the strap up a lot.

Got the strands long enough?  Good.  Rest your fingers for a second, ice them if you need to, then start braiding.  Amazing how fast it shortens up, isn't it?  Braid it to the very end, and safety pin it to hold it into place.  Now, slip the shirt back over your head (yes, again) and fool around with the strap until you figure out where you want it to attach to the shirt.  If it isn't long enough, you can fix that - unbraid the strap, and start stretching out the strands again.  If it is long enough, pin it in place and take the shirt off. 

You'll notice that the strap is thick and hard to poke through.  I have no idea what would happen if you tried to use a machine on it.  For hand-sewers, grab your sturdiest needle and a thimble (I actually wound up using pliers to pull the needle through about half the time).  Now you get to start sewing it on.  Make it secure.  Make it as secure as you can.  You don't want it to tear off, and you don't want it to start unbraiding.

Got it on?  Guess what?  YOU'RE DONE!  YAY!  Now put it on and prance around!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006 05:38:12 PM by IzzyBella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Project Runway Craftalong!  CLICK HERE!  Now with no deadlines!

Your girl finally got her Etsy
Sock_Tan
Argyle Dutchess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006 09:17:53 AM »

That's really awsome :-) I especially like the color
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh well we sometimes feel we're to blame in some way for what our gran's become. I mean she used to be happy here until she, she started on the crochet.
 Now she can't do without it. Twenty balls of wool a day, sometimes. If she can't get the wool she gets violent. What can we do about it?"
firzenma

Do you want furi kuri?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006 09:24:39 AM »

I love it very cute. i need a sewing machine I usually do my stuff by hand. I want a form too but I guess i'll get one eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

700 and growing.....
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006 09:30:12 AM »

I love this idea! Did you use any elastic to help it stay up on a live person? Or does it just have to fit really snug by sewing it up smaller? Love the braided one strap idea the best!!!!

You will get a new job soon--hopefully in something creative cos u are! Can a regular person just buy a mannequin like that?  It would be kewl to have to take pics of finished items--guess they are expensive!

Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Principessa
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006 10:28:20 AM »

I usually don't like tube tops, but I love that--with the simplicity of the top itself, the braid really stands out. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://whatiwore.blogspot.com is the coolest website ever!
Craft_Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006 03:31:39 PM »

Just bookmarked this. This is really cute. You did a crazy good job for not having a machine.  Are you going to do a tute?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When a defining moment comes along... Are you going to define the moment or let the moment define you???
IzzyBella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006 08:48:32 AM »

As far as the dress forms go, there's always the option of making one out of duct tape:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0  I have the supplies for it, but I haven't done it yet because...  well...  I'm easily distracted.  But in wholesale catalogs, dress forms tend to run about seventy dollars or more, so spending eight dollars on duct tape at the dollar store seems a lot more affordable.  Plus, you can make them fit you exactly.  You could also look for mannequins on e-bay, but the cheap ones usually require a lot of rebuilding, and with shipping, they'll probably cost fifty dollars or more, depending on how much mannequin you get.

There is no elastic, but I might add some, as the mannequin I fit it to is a little bit more boobylicious than I am. I basically basted the tube onto the mannequin before I started sewing, so I knew it would be a very close fit.  The strap should help keep it from falling down, although again, it might need a bit of shortening up to fit on me.

I'll try to make a tutorial, but I've never done one before, so it might not be so great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

IzzyBella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006 05:39:38 PM »

Just added the tute.  Fear my mad Paint Skillz!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

6iggle

art. fashion. love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006 05:46:32 PM »

awe! that is so cute! i love the one strap thing, its a nice change  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------- >8

✯My Etsy!✯  www.iiiNa.etsy.com

✯My Blog!✯  www.PiiiNaColada.bl ogspot.com

✯My Wists!✯   www.wists.com/paulinaa
anna_babyy
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009 09:36:49 PM »

aaah super cute! i must try this the next time i can't sleep and want to do something slightly productive.
love ittt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to a Grecian Twist
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
How to Stop Hair Static
Liv Tyler For Pantene in Chilled
How to Create a Soft Chignon for Fine Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...