A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bulky lining - help please!  (Read 346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

polkadolly
« on: May 10, 2006 03:28:13 AM »

It's driving me nuts but I can't ever seem to get my lining to fit snuggly into the bag...not even in a tote! What am I doing wrong? It always ends up too bulky...basically when you look into the bag it looks like there's too much fabric in there [which there is so it ends up gathering and when I sew the lining to the bag at the top it ends up gathering at the stitches and I just can't be bothered to unstitch anymore!]. Pictures below.

This is the tote, everything's great on the outside [ignore my photography skillz and positioning of product skillz]

Until you look inside and THIS HAPPENS!!

I've tried cutting the lining exactly the same size as the outer and stitching it using a little bit more seam allowance than the outer but that doesn't work. I've even tried cutting the lining slightly smaller than the outer. No luck.

Is there some secret I don't know yet or am I just dumb?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake and perhaps as long as eternity too.
-Joyce
ksew
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 05:51:03 AM »

I've had thiis problem many times too.. I'm not sure if your problem could be the same as mine, but mine happens because one fabric stretches more than the other.  First, the inner lining should be about an eighth of an inch smaller than the outer.  Second, I highly suggest using a roller or walking foot.  Even though I always use one, I still sometimes get this problem!!  I sew bags that are vinyl on the outside and cotton canvas on the inside.  The vinyl always stretches out when I sew it.  What you should do (NOT if you use vinyl becase pin holes dont go away!!) is put the lining inside the bag and then pin it to the outer bag.  Use lots of pins to see if it really fits well together.  If if fits perfectly before you sew it, you're doing great.  if it is bulky BEFORE you sew it, take it out, and sew the sides again, moving your stitch line in so that you are sewing the lining bag smaller.  Once you get the two to fit together perfectly with pins, start sewing at the side seam.  (You will want to line up the side seams of both the outer bag and the inner bag when you start pinning)  So.. start at the side seam, and slowly work your way towards the next pin.  Notice which fabric starts stretching.. One of them will start to "bump" up a little if it is stretching more than the other.  As you slowly sew, PULL the fabric of the outer bag towards you, and PUSH the lining toward the needle as you sew. (This is assuming the lining fabric is stretching more than the outer.. do the opposite if the outer fabric is stretching more!)  Do this until they lay together nicely once you reach the first pin.  do this all along the bag.. pulling and pushing (Just a little at a time!!) using the pins kind of as "landmarks"  .  Does that make any sense??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadolly
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006 07:30:49 AM »

That's fantastic advice, thank you so much. I hadn't even thought about how the material for either outer or lining actually stretched but now that you mention it, the outer does stretch more. I will certainly try your technique the next time I get my sewing machine out. Thanks once again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake and perhaps as long as eternity too.
-Joyce
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
How to Edit Your First Movie
How to Shoot Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...