A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tissue paper envelopes *Tutorial added*  (Read 28566 times)
Tags for this thread: tissue_paper , tutorial , envelope , gift_wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 07, 2006 09:55:22 PM »

I made these envelopes using tissue paper I got in swap packages:

I took lots of pictures while I was making them so if thereís interest I can make a tutorial.

Tutorial here (or just scroll down Smiley).  I didn't have some amazing dream or out of the blue start ironing paper together.  Mum's been making them for years (I think I remember her taking a class when I was tiny).  If I knew who to give credit to I would.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006 08:49:15 PM by night_owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
kristen219
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006 10:02:17 PM »

whoa those are really nice!!! are they very sturdy? i would be interested in a tut if ur willing!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good morning starshine! The world says hello!

this was funnn
http://www.wists.com/kristen219/
Jane2
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006 10:04:37 PM »

Those envelopes are BEAUTIFUL, night owl!

So neat and tidy - with not a ragged edge in sight. Which I am sure there would be if I tried to make them. (I have a manual dexterity problem you see.)

Are they hard to make? I'm willing to make an attempt.
With your tutorial of course. (As I am one of the earliest viewers of your post, I'm sure others will be along asking for it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006 10:11:43 PM »

Wow!  You guys are quick!!  I'll start working on a tut tonight and hopfully be ready to post it tomorrow.  They are very easy and the technique used can be adapted for little boxes, book covers, or anything really that you would use paper/cardstock for.

kristen219:  They're sturdiness depends on what paper you use in combination with the tissue paper.  The ones you see here are about as sturdy as a regular old envelope with the exception of the blue one, as I made it with construction paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006 08:39:49 PM »

It seems that my tutorial is too long to put in just one post so I'm splitting it in two.  This is my first time making a tutorial, I tried to make it really clear.  Let me know if there's anything that doesn't make sense.

Tutorial

Iím going to write out the easiest/basic instructions for the regular flat ones (in the picture these are the striped and star ones, betcha didnít know the blue and red ones were textured did ya Wink). At the end Iíll explain how to make the textured ones, and an alternate way to make these envelopes.  Also, please excuse the mess in the background; I donít like to make my bed.  And just ignore the fact that my ironing board is dirty.

Ok, lets start by gathering our suppliesÖ.

You will need:
  • Freezer paper Ė itís the kind w/wax on one side only; mum says itís usually found in the baking isle and not by the plastic wrap (like I thought).  Iíve never had to buy some because the lady that owned this house before us left this huge mongo industrial sized roll of it and a bunch of unopened smaller rollsÖIím set for life!!
  • Tissue paper
  • An envelope that is the size/shape you want your finished envelope to be
  • Glue Ė Iím using mod podge but mum uses those little photo squares scrapbookers use, she has to cut them in half first.  Iíve also used rubber cement and elmerís.  All of these work fine.
  • Something to apply the glue with Ė Iím using a paint brush
  • An iron Ė with the steam turned off
  • Something to iron on Ė it needs to be relatively hard.  If your ironing board isnít super padded it should be fine.
  • Scissors (somehow these didnít make it into the picture)
  • A pencil (or a pen is fine to)
  • Some music to craft to Ė today weíll be listening to Charlieís Angels Soundtrack

If your iron is like mine, it takes a few minutes to heat up.  Turn it on a low-medium setting and put it somewhere stable to heat up.

Start by cutting a piece of freezer paper thatís about 6 inches longer than your sheet of tissue paper; itís better to have too much than too little.  My freezer paper wasnít as wide as my tissue paper, this is fine, just try to cover as much as you can with one piece.  Lay them on your ironing board with the freezer paper on the bottom (wax side up) and the tissue paper on top (pretty side up). 

Now youíre going to iron the tissue paper to the freezer paper.  Carefully smooth out the wrinkles with your iron (itís ok if you donít get them all out, just try to smooth out as many as you can).  Be sure not to iron the waxy side of the freezer paper directly (messy, messy).  When I do this I just try to get within an inch from the edge of the tissue paper; weíll get all the way to the edge later.

After you iron the whole thing, cut any excess freezer paper off.  Try to cut it flush with the tissue paper.

After cutting, turn your paper over (tissue paper side down) and iron it again.  This time go all the way to the edge.  After itís cooled enough you can touch it (learned this the hard way, give it about 30 sec so you donít get burned) turn it over again (pretty side up) and gently rub your fingers over the top to check for parts that havenít completely sealed with the freezer paper.  Youíll know when you find one; itís kinda like an air bubble.  If you donít find any, good for you!!  If you do find some, go back over them with the iron.

Next youíre going to need your envelope

Carefully take it apart,

and using it as a template, trace it repeatedly all over the freezer paper side.  I usually get five envelopes out of one piece of tissue paper

Now you need to cut them out (this is easier if you cut them into smaller bits first)

Now youíre going to fold them up.  Hereís my folding sequence.  (Please excuse the odd bits and pieces.  I was trying to fold them on my ironing board, which was not a hard enough surface, and they wouldnít stay down.).  To get a nice crisp fold, do this step on a table or a hardcover book.

Now weíre going to glue them.  I tried to take a pic of one w/glue on it, but you couldnít really see it so put a thin strip of glue where the purple is.

Now it looks like an envelope!!

At this stage I fold the top flap back down and stick them in a heavy book so they can dry and be pressed flat.  My book of choice is a wallpaper sample book because it has a handle on the spine and I can hold it up by the handle and shake it so all my envelopes fall out (when I glue mine I stick them in randomly and it takes forever going through each page looking for them).  I leave them in the book for about 2 hours.  This is the time when I work on swap packages, write letters to go in the envelopes, and check craftster Cheesy.

After theyíre all dry I like to put little symbols on the inside of the top flap.  I think of them as wishes for the recipient.  My favorites to use are:
  • Dollar sign = wealth
  • Peace sign = peace
  • Heart = love/romance
  • Smilie = happiness
  • Four leaf clover = good luck
Sometimes I free hand them, other times I use stamps or stickers (I didnít do a four leaf clover this time because when I free hand them they look like crap and I couldnít find my stamp)

So thatís basically it!!

(cont. in next post)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006 08:41:36 PM »

(cont. from previous post)

For the textured ones the directions are pretty much the same except:

You start out crumpling your paper

Iím not sure if youíll be able to see the texture in the third picture so hereís a close up:

When ironing your crumpled tissue paper you donít smooth out the wrinkles (that would defeat the whole purpose of crumpling it in the first place).  Instead you have to press it.  To do this you put your iron in one place for a few seconds, lift it up (donít slide it!), and put it down again somewhere else.  Try to overlap your ďpressingsĒ.

In the center of the above pic, if you look in the middle, where I circled, the orangish part is where I have started to press it (I hope you can see it).  After pressing the top (again, getting close to the edge), cut off the excess freezer paper and press the backside the same way.  This time going all the way to the edge.

After that you continue following the original instructions.

But what if *gasp* you canít find freezer paper??  Relax, you can still make these using slightly different materials.  You will need everything on the above list except change freezer paper to other paper (Iím using construction paper but you could use anything really, just remember that you will have to fold it later so try not to pick anything too thick).  You also need to add plastic wrap to the above list.  Making your envelopes this way takes longer because the plastic takes longer to melt.  When I make them with plastic wrap I turn my iron to medium high.

Start by layering your papers/plastic in the following order:  construction paper on the bottom (or what ever paper you decide to use), plastic wrap in the middle, tissue paper on top (pretty side up).

Now you can continue with the basic instructions except when you would cut off the excess freezer paper, cut off the excess plastic wrap (and tissue paper if itís bigger than your bottom paper) and after you cut out the envelope I would run the iron over them again to make sure theyíre sealed.  Be VERY careful when youíre ironing them so that you donít accidentally iron parts that donít have paper on both sides of the plastic wrap.  You donít want to experience trying to get melted plastic wrap off your ironing board.

Because it's faster, I prefer using freezer paper.  However, using plastic wrap has its perks too.  For example: I love to use patterned paper so the outside is a plain color and the inside has duckies on it or something!  I also like using white on top of colored paper because you can kinda see through it.  It just occurred to me that, in place of plastic wrap, you might be able to use waxed paper (wax on both sides). Iíve never tried it, but I imagine it would work.  Iím planning to make a few more next week sometime.  Iíll try it and post the results.

If anyone makes any Iíd love to see them!

**Edit**
I tried using wax paper and was unsuccessful.  I posted about it later in this thread (click here if you don't want to go search for it Smiley)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006 07:27:09 AM by night_owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

alisonwonderland
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006 09:17:07 PM »

Those are so cute! I almost never send letters anymore but I may need to start again so I can use some awesome envelopes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
Kiwimonkey
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006 09:31:54 PM »

When I was reading the second part of the tutorial, I was wondering, "why plastic wrap?  Why not normal wax paper?" 

I think I'll try this sometime soon.  I've searched and searched for freezer paper and can't find it  Sad   But wax paper.... I've got plenty of that!  Smiley

Thanks for such a great idea and tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
craft_t_chic
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006 09:38:01 PM »

Great tut! Great idea!!! I love this...I totally have to try it... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
Qwerty
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006 09:51:44 PM »

great tutorial! i'm a sucker for stationery and purty paper, putting this on my to-do list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 2/4
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 4/4
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 1/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 12/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 2/12
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...