A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tissue paper envelopes *Tutorial added*  (Read 31212 times)
Tags for this thread: tissue_paper , tutorial , envelope , gift_wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Babizzle
I am SmurfPop!

YOU/USED T O _B E A_LR IGHT

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2007 02:34:53 AM »

Thank you for this tutorial! So quick and easy, and I had everything I needed already!

I used plain old cling film and some tissue paper that was left over from Christmas.

And got this!

(That's the only type of envelope I had to use as a template  Tongue) The only small issue I had was the clingfilm - I tested it at low (nylon/synthetic) temperature, medium (silk/wool) and high (cotton/linen) and found that it actually melted at the high temperatures. BUT the edges didn't stick too well - luckily there was enough in the middle that had bonded for me to use.

Could this be improved by using two layers of cling film? Or should I turn the iron up to the maximum setting (slightly higher than linen)?

Anyway, I shall defintely be making more of these Cheesy Thanks for a clear and concise tute Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2007 07:48:42 AM »

Babizzle, Cling film is plastic, totally different than the suggested freezer paper (which is paper with a thin layer of wax on it).  I wouldn't iron the cling film at all, to tell the truth.  It's not surprising to me that it melted.  That could ruin your iron, and the fumes from melting it probably aren't healthy either.

Your envelopes look really nice though!  I would just make them with paper and not worry about the ironing parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Babizzle
I am SmurfPop!

YOU/USED T O _B E A_LR IGHT

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2007 12:23:02 PM »

I didn't iron directly onto the cling film - it was sandwiched between tissue paper and computer paper. I'm assuming the cling film acts like iron-on interfacing does with fabric, and binds like a glue. It's just a cool way to beable to line the envelopes, and I guess the resulting paper could be used for pretty much anything Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2007 09:34:26 PM »

Babizzle - great job!!  I find that ironing the edges after you cut them out helps the edges stick.  Perhaps iron them a bit longer??  I do find that I have to turn my iron to a higher temp when I use plastic wrap/cling film as opposed to when I use freezer paper.

OriginalYouth - I think Babizzle was following the second method I posted a tutorial for.  In the second method you use plastic wrap/cling film paired with two pieces of paper.  The plastic wrap/cling film never actually touches the iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007 09:57:45 PM »

OriginalYouth - I think Babizzle was following the second method I posted a tutorial for.  In the second method you use plastic wrap/cling film paired with two pieces of paper.  The plastic wrap/cling film never actually touches the iron.
See, If I'd read the whole thing, I would've known.  Sorry for playing know-it-all.  Great envies both of you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatzudoin
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2007 02:43:08 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial. I really want to try that now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do personal swaps if anyones interested. If your interested please write me!
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2007 07:39:18 PM »

Oooh!  I am making some of these right now!  I got them all ironed out tonight, and tommorrow is cutting day!  Thanks so much for the tutorial.  It is very concise, and very much appreciated.  Please let your mom know that we think she is brillant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2007 11:13:45 PM »

Bumping this thread up to say that I made this and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the awesome tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
maddiesmibbs
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2007 03:47:50 PM »

lkdlakdoieu I love this idea.  Here's some of mine: (click for larger)

Some people's tissue paper seemed to show through the freezer paper on the inside.  Mine didn't really. Sad

I also made one where I put half red and half yellow tissue paper on the freezer paper and ironed it so they just barely touched, making an enelope with a diagonal line dividing the red from the yellow side.  Alas, I've already sent it.

I also tried using wrapping paper.  It didn't stick as well--it was a little bumpy in some spots, but it did work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
independentlulu
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2007 01:41:22 PM »

I am going to have to try this.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Miracle Vitamin That Banishes Breakouts
Women Get Real About Body Hair
Asking The Moms: When Is It OK For Girls To Wear Makeup?
Superfoods for a Super Year
The Gorgeous Makeup Color That Works on Everyone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...