A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter replica props (4 photos)  (Read 12729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006 05:41:02 PM »

I love you! Those are fantastic. I especially like the quidditch program!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
Marauder#5
Marauder#5

Yeah, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006 06:08:13 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  Grin
See, that's exactly why I like this site!  I never would have thought of doing a craft based on Wizards Pantry items.  They're all so unique and fun looking, I would have loved to been in on that one!   Cool

Here is a tutorial for my Pixie for those who want it:
1. Pixie in a mason jar-
Start with blue sculpey and make a torso.
Also make a head in proportion to the body.
Take some thick wire and cut it in the lengths you want for the arms, legs, and antenne (and one for the neck for stability, but you won't see much of that one since you'll push most of it into the body and head).
Bend however you want them to go, and stick them into the sculpey torso. 
Cover wire with more blue sculpey and mold to look how you want.
I use magnetic beads for the eyes, but only because they happen to be the size I needed.  You can use any bead you like, but make sure it's black.  I press them into the head and mold eyelids around them.
Mold hands and feet out of more of the clay and also mold the face.  I find that having a picture of a Pixie from the movie in front of me helps.
I got the wings from a fake dragonfly I bought at Micheals Crafts.  They were exactly the right size. 
Push the wire on the ends of the wings into the pixies back how you want them to look, BUT TAKE THEM OUT BEFORE YOU BAKE.  You can glue them back in later.
Last, put a very small eyelet screw in his back if you want to hang him up.
MAKE SURE HE WILL FIT IN YOUR JAR BEFORE YOU BAKE HIM.
After he's baked, all you need to paint will be his teeth, and maybe some very dark highlights if you want his facial features to show up better.
Poke holes in a jar and hang him up with fishing wire.

I'll do a mandrake and wand tutorial later.  The World Cup program I did on my computer.  I can tell you the materials, but honestly, there are so many measurements for that one, I don't know if I would be able to list them all.  I also did pages for the inside.  Maybe I'll post those later if I'm allowed to put a few more photos on this thread. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free Caprica 6 !!!!
CartML
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006 06:48:48 PM »

I love love LOVE them all. I'm a huge harry fan and i practically drool all over myself when i see anything HP craft related Grin Great work. I can't wait to see the pics of the World Cup program!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FerretNose

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006 09:16:36 AM »

I've used hematite beads for eyes before when I wanted a spooky look on a polymer clay creature. They have the perfect amount of reflection, but look deep and weird. I wonder how glass beads for eyes would work on a faery creature.

P.s, once again, great job. I'd have the heebie-jeebies if that jar was in my room. But it would be the good kind of heebie-jeebies.

Polymer clay board! Polymer clay board! Hoohaa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna trade ATC's!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferretnose/
Icemaiden
CSI addict!!

Annoy me...I'll set my pet sock,stripy, on you!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006 09:26:16 AM »

Wow,I love the pixie.Might have to make one....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall,ninety-nine bottles of beer.Swab one down,run it through CODIS,ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall"

"Would you mind if I took a picture for my bite collection?"
"Whatever rubs your Buddha."

"Don't touch me.I'm evidence
Lisa the Diva
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006 09:56:18 AM »

I can't wait to read how you did the others!  Those are amazing though!

All I can do is knit and crochet and so I look for those patterns but yours are just awesome crafts.  It is people like you that make me want to craft all over again and do it over and over until I get it right!

Cheers and Kisses
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marauder#5
Marauder#5

Yeah, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2006 11:43:19 AM »

I can't wait to read how you did the others!  Those are amazing though!

All I can do is knit and crochet and so I look for those patterns but yours are just awesome crafts. 

That's so funny, because I wish I could knit and crochet!  And sew more than hems! 

Here is a tutorial for the wand.  It's very simple:
2) Deatheaters Wand prop
I bought a dowl rod at Michels crafts and cut it down to the length I needed.
Now the tiring part- whittle the rod down to look like a wand.  I did mine sort of rough looking, but you can sand it later to make it smooth if you want.  Of if you do woodworking, just do it on a machine, it'll be much easier!  (my poor aching forarms)Tongue

Go to this site and mold your wand handle from white sculpey to look like the one on display. http://ww.rebelscum.com/gallery/sdcc-hp-props/default.asp

I drilled a small hole in the top of the wand and inserted a piece of thick wire.  Then attached the sculpey wand handle.

Take the sculpted handle off and bake it.  You will glue it back on the handle later.

I stained the wand shaft, then coated it with polyeurethane gloss to make it shiney.

I also stained the baked wand handle to make it look older (remove stain quickly for this process).

Glue the handle back onto the wire coming out of the top of the staff and you're done!

3. MANDRAKE 
Note: I thought this was the hardest of all the props.
Materials:
Paper machet, thick wire, artificial greenery, 6" styrofoam ball, 4" half styrofoam ball, stone color spray paint, aluminum foil.

Attach 4" half ball (head) to the 6" ball (body) with wire.
Make hands and legs with wire.  Insert 3 wires to come out of the top of the head like stalks.
Cover arms, legs and head stalks with aluminum foil and shape them.
Now cover the entire thing with paper machet, leaving lillte holes in the ends of arms, legs and stalks (this is where the greenery is inserted).  You can be as messy as you want.  The mandrakes are supposed to look like roots and mud, so don't hold back.  The more crevaces and lumps the better. You will want to get a little more detailed with the face, but don't worry if it's not perfect.
Wait for the whole thing to dry per instructions on the bag.
Paint with the spray paint.  I used the kind that is supposed to look like stone.
Mix up some burnt umber acrylic paint or any really dark brownish color and water it down a bit to sloppily paint on the mandrake and wipe off quickly.  This will leave nice highlights in the cracks and crevises.
Insert misc. fake greenery into the top of the head stalks and the hands and feet.  Done!

I hope these instructions are clear.  If anything is confusing, please let me know. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free Caprica 6 !!!!
Corntree
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006 04:52:27 AM »

I love those!!!  The mandrake looks especially awesome, IMO, and I love the idea of the World Cup program... I would never think to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Marauder#5
Marauder#5

Yeah, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006 01:24:25 PM »

Thanks!  The World Cup program was only seen for about a second or two in the film from what I can remember, but I saw the screen used version on the website posted at the top of this thread and I knew I just had to do one.  Grin
Here is what I came up with for the inside pages.  They really had pages in the program, but they were never shown on screen.  I used references from "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire" books for the text and the ads.
BTW, if anyone is a geek like me and collects Harry potter or Lord of the Rings, or any other non-sports cards, this is a great site to chat about them- http://www.theyakshack.co.uk/forum/index.php

Pages of key players from both teams:

Summary of mascots:

Advertisements of wizard stores:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006 03:37:26 PM by Marauder#5 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free Caprica 6 !!!!
karmic

They shoot heroin, don't they?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2006 06:15:57 AM »

Thanks!  The World Cup program was only seen for about a second or two in the film from what I can remember, but I saw the screen used version on the website posted at the top of this thread and I knew I just had to do one.  Grin
Here is what I came up with for the inside pages.  They really had pages in the program, but they were never shown on screen.  I used references from "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire" books for the text and the ads.
BTW, if anyone is a geek like me and collects Harry potter or Lord of the Rings, or any other non-sports cards, this is a great site to chat about them- http://www.theyakshack.co.uk/forum/index.php

Pages of key players from both teams:
*image cut*

OH wow, I would never of had the patience to actually make inside pages! I bow to your awesomeness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 10/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 14/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 9/13
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 15/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 11/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...