A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good ideas (and pictures) of head boards?  (Read 2727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

senlin
« on: July 07, 2004 08:59:58 AM »

Hi All,

I need to make a headboard and noticed there are no postings on this (that I can find).  Has anyone done one or seen one that they just love? 

Specifically, I need one that will match a Cambodian theme (think Angor Wat . . . )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004 07:47:01 AM »

I found this from the Jonathan Fong website link:

http://www.jonathanfongstyle.com/decor/wallpanels.html

I think that these would make a very cool & easy headboard.  Just cut them to span the width of the bed, and just as high on the wall as you'd want. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
senlin
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004 01:56:39 PM »

Good find - I like that one a lot! I'm still going back and forth between using the wall and making a stand alone headboard.

I'm still looking for a bed frame and I'm not sure how it will fit in my room.  There's a possibility that it wll be angled in the corner and I won't be able to use the wall space for a head board. 

Any non wall ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004 05:39:18 PM »

Once I saw once that was made out of like plyboard then covered in thick cork board and then it had crown moulding around the sides and top. It was really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lstarr
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004 06:58:58 PM »

My cousin made a headboard out of a door somehow. She painted it to look kind of like an old boat in white and light blue. I will see if I can get more details/picture from her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Derrick's Website -- http://www.textbookexchange.ca
Nuno930
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004 07:37:20 PM »

Sorry no ideas but I just want to say bevrocking you have earned idol status with me!  OMG I just spent an hour looking at the Jonathan Fong website!  I want to be him when I grow up!  Hubby and I are now on a mission to find fridge/ armoire this weekend! WOOOOHOOOO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004 06:55:21 PM »

I made a headboard for my bed about a year ago.  It was very easy to do.  I used a large piece of wood my dad had in the backyard that he didn't intend to use (you can just go to Home Depot and buy a piece of wood large enough to fit the size of your bed - it should be at least the width of your bed, and at least twice the height, though a little more than that would probably be better, depending on the height of your bed). 

I traced a rounded line along the top corners of the piece, and then used a circular saw to cut the board to the right width, and a handheld jigsaw to cut out the corners.  You can create any kind of pattern you like, though if you'll be covering it with fabric, keep in mind that the more ornate the pattern, the harder it will be to get the fabric to pull over the edges smoothly.  If you don't have the tools to cut the wood yourself, ask someone at your local Home Depot/Lowes/lumber store to cut it for you.  If you don't want anything too fancy, they'll usually do it for free.

Next, I put two layers of thick batting I bought at Michaels onto the headboard.  I laid it out and then folded it over the edges, and used a staple gun to attach it to the back of the board.  This would allow the headboard to have a nice puffy, upholstered look.

Then I went down to Ross and picked up a twin size sheet set (You could also get a full or a queen if your headboard is really large, but I have a Queen size bed, and the Twin sized sheet worked perfect.)  I used the fitted sheet and put it over the front of the headboard and the batting, using the staple gun to secure the sheet onto the back of the headboard.  as I did this, I tried to be sure that I was pulling the sheet taut so that the fabric wouldn't look saggy or wrinkled.  At the rounded edges I had to do some folding of the material on the back of the headboard, but it's not noticeable from the front.

And as an extra embellishment, I bought some plain, round silver upholstery tacks and hammered them into a few spots on the headboard to give it a bit of a tufted look.  You can arrange them in any manner you like.  You can also use ribbons and upholstery tacks to give it even more definition (stretch the ribbon across the headboard either horizonatally, vertically, or diagonally, staple the ends to the back, and then insert upholstery tacks where the ribbons intersect).  You could also put upholstery tacks along the top edge (like studs), or sew buttons randomly onto the sheet.  Use your imagination.

I actually purchased two sets of the sheets so that I would have two matching pillowcases to go with all of the other pillows I have on my bed (I removed them for the picture).  Then I took the two flat sheets and made curtains for the large window in my bedroom.  Then I used the other fitted sheet to make a smaller curtain (this one I had to cut out and sew a little) for the little window in my bedroom.  It helped to tie things together.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004 07:00:14 PM by dani24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AquaNetRocker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004 07:51:59 PM »

Have you ever thought about putting a curtain rod above your bed and hanging a couple colors of sheer fabric on it? Add a valance and it can look pretty cool. I think they've got a display at Linens & Things.

Another thing I've seen that's really cool is:
 You hang  a few curtain rods on your ceiling above your bed and then run some really long cuts of fabric through them letting them swoop down a little. And letting is fall all the way to the floor on the ends of your bed.

You could even use those two together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tallulahwine

She was the still point in the turning world.-FSG.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004 03:45:55 AM »

I have used old picket fence pieces.  My favorite though was strategically placed nails and hanging christmas lights and faux ivy.  tres cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

These songs are for you.-Leonard Cohen
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.-Oprah.
Do you remember when crayons were the coolest?
Bully rocks.  really.  they are girls.  grrr.
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004 11:12:17 AM »

i use an intricately carved wooden folding screen as our headboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Foolproof Ways to Jump on the Leather Shorts Trend
The Best Swimsuit For Your Body Type
You Can Do What With Double-Sided Tape?
Different Ways To Wear A Striped Shirt
The Mod Style Is Back In A Big Way
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...