A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is crochet harder than knitting?  (Read 8717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amdm
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2006 01:07:09 AM »

I have been knitting and crocheting since I was 10 years old, and enjoy both. I have to say that both have their good points. I can knit and read at the same time, but never crochet. However, crochet grows faster and allows greater flexibility in designing. Crochet garments seem a bit clunky compared to knit,and knitted bags a bit flimsy compared to crochet. It's really a question of what you enjoy more, and what is better suited to your particular purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindy_23492
lean mean crochet machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2006 09:46:13 AM »

I'm catching on with patterns now! It's strange for me, especially since I am usually a visual learner, but I seem to find instructions (e.g. [sc, hdc, dc, 7tr] 6 times into each ch-sp) easier than the pictures..
I do really enjoy crocheting now  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006 08:12:49 AM »

For me, crocheting is easier. I learned ow to crochet as a kid, but then never kept up with it. I had someone teach me knitting about 5 years ago and it took me 5 years to finish a simple baby blanket (I basically used a dishcloth pattern and just made it bigger). In the meantime, I picked up crochet again. I'm not a very fast crocheter, but I've finished several projects already. I like it better for the following reasons (sorry if they've already been mentioned!):

1. I understand the structure of crochet better- the stitches are much more pronounced, so it is easier to see how it is all coming together.
2. It is much easier to fix a mistake- "reverse crocheting" is much easier than "reverse knitting"- I can unravel with confidence and speed since I know where I need to stop and put the hook back in.
3. Since the stitches are easier to see, it makes it easier for me to keep track of my stitch count and rows.
4. Because I understand the structure of crochet better, I feel confident in making things up as I go along.
5. One hook is definitely easier to deal with, and is much more portable.
6. The explosion of crochet patterns (and stitches) makes crochet an exciting hobby to be learning right now!
7. With the variety of yarns,hook sizes and stitches, it is easier to make clothing that has a more natural drape (similar to a knitted item).

Okay...enough said...time to go and crochet something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftybernie
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007 01:33:21 AM »

Ah, so you want to cross over to the 'dark side'.   Well, I've been a knitter since I was a kid.  I remember I picked it up straight away and I was making sweaters by the time I was 11.

I tried to get the hang of crocheting over the years and just couldn't get to grips with all the doubles, half double trebles, trebles, etc...  You see, my grandmother was Italian and used to sit and crochet endlessly.  She made those beautiful table runners with 3d swans and flowers, and I couldn't understand why I was unable to get to grips with crochet.  (I thought I would automatically inherit the crochet 'gene' but sadly no).   So I gave up.   

Then, last year I wanted to learn how to make amigurumi (the little crochet japanese toys) and so I figured it was time to knuckle down and learn once and for all. 

I got myself the Happy Hooker from Amazon UK (next day delivery here too!) and although the stitch abbreviations are American, I actually found them easier to follow than the English ones.  I'm not sure why that is but they seemed to make more sense!  After about 2 weeks I successfully make a several versions of the 'One Skein Scarf' and a couple of bags. 

Now I can work from a crochet pattern - although I haven't made anything bigger than a scarf or bag yet - and if I'm working from an English pattern, I convert the stitches to American.  Is that weird?

Anyway, I love crochet & knitting and I love that I can do both!!!

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sleepybunny
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007 05:27:05 AM »

I started crocheting again recently, and I agree that crochet is easier, although the first row (foundation row into a chain) can be a nightmare (definitely need the reading glasses!).  But once you've got that, though, you can fly along!  I first learnt to crochet as a kid, but could only do granny squares until a few months ago!

I used to knit (I used to work in a yarn shop, so couldn't really help it!) but I could never get that "flicking the yarn over with one finger" thing, so had to move my whole arm each time I made a stitch, which made my right shoulder and neck hurt!  The last thing I made (a baby cardigan for my Nephew who is now nearly 10), hurt so much I've never knitted again, and have since thrown out all my knitting needles (and most of my yarn stash, which is a shame, cos I keep thinking about all the stuff I could have been crocheting with now...).  But I find crochet so much easier because you are controlling the yarn with your left hand, and just kind of wiggle the hook with your right, so really only moving from the wrist down.  For me, less pain = more gain!!!

I might try learning to knit the "continental" way at some point, which might be easier now that I crochet.  But there do seem to be more and more good crochet patterns available now - although it's frustrating when you go into shops and see fabulous crochet garments (eg in M&S at the moment) and think "I could make that!".  I guess it's more profitable for designers to sell their designs that way than to publish the patterns for the likes of us!

The only thing that knitting does better is smooth fabrics - crochet always has a texture (but that can be a good thing too!).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 10:12:55 AM by sleepybunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007 05:32:49 AM »

I learned to knit years ago, and found that it was very easy to pick up (I knit English which is supposed to be the easiest method). I set my mind on learning crochet about a week ago and found it to be a lot harder to pick up than knitting. Maybe because I have the knitting mindset, but also because I am used to holding the yarn in my right hand and it took a while to get used to the feel of the hook. I've got the hang of chain, single crochet and slip stitch and will hopefully master some new stitches after I've had some more practice. I think knitted stitches are easier to form, but that could be cause I've been doing it for longer. I also think that knitting patterns are a lot less scary to read than crochet patterns which look very confusing to me. But, it will all be worth it in the end, whether you want to knit or crochet it takes time and lots of repetition to get it right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hounddog
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007 09:37:32 AM »

I feel that crocheting is more easy to manipulate than knitting. There is a lot of counting to it as well but also a lot of variety. I took knitting classes before I taught myself to crochet and for me crocheting is very relaxing and knitting was tense.

I have a friend who could knit anything and it amazed me, I would have been crying if I did what she was able to do.
Darlene
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inch by inch - anything's a cinch.
uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007 11:03:10 AM »

For me, crocheting was much easier to learn than knitting. I picked up all the basic stitches, plus double crochet shell stitches, in two or three days by myself from books. I needed some help from my mother for the adjustable/magic loop method of joining in the round, but that was it.

For knitting, I had to take a class at my LYS. I'd tried to teach myself the knit stitch, but in the class I'd learned I'd been wrapping my yarn in the wrong direction and wasn't holding my yarn in the most efficient manner. And forget purling. I HAD to be shown that in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
vintage_mint
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007 09:22:56 PM »

I started knitting a few years ago and taught myself crocheting about 5 months ago. I used to hate crochet and only liked knitting but now I prefer crochet because its so easy to take back. The first time I tried to crochet I couldn't do it but now its like second nature to me. It might seem hard at first but if you do it a lot you'll get a lot better.
I guess you should just try it and see how you go, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maid Mirawyn
Gamer-geek and lifelong crafter

Reality is highly overrated...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007 02:34:14 PM »

Crochet is easier to learn in my opinion (and it seemed to be easier for all the newbies in the knitting-crochet prayer group I attend). It's also easier to find and fix mistakes, I think. The easy-to-distinguish stitches make it easy to figure out where you left off, at least compared to knitting. BUT it can get complicated, just like knitting, and it takes a lot more concentration on moderately tricky patterns.

And I agree: un-crocheting is easier than un-knitting. Smiley I mean, you can even put a split stitch marker or safety pin in the stitch where you want to stop, and then just frog away! So easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reality is highly overrated...
The requisite craft blog...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Isolate Your Subject
How to Crop in Camera
How to Get a Vivid Image
How to Get a Strong Foreground Image
How to Photograph a Fast Car in Motion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...